[1.11.+] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived (1.4.0)

Booots

6 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

If I remember correctly this mod once gave a warning popup if you tried to jump with some cargo such as kerbals or karborundum that required the Heisenkerb compensator? 

It now seems to throw an exception at that moment saying something about .OrbitDriver.Renderer not found?

Hide contents

MissingFieldException: Field '.OrbitDriver.Renderer' not found.
  at ESLDCore.ESLDHailer.BeaconInterface (Int32 GuiId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Sorry, I know it is a very poor bug report :(

Oh interesting. I know exactly the place it's throwing that exception. It's been broken for a while, but used to still show that message anyways. I'll see what I can do. I haven't had a lot of time for programming because my new puppy needs lots of supervision.

13 hours ago, Booots said:

Oh interesting. I know exactly the place it's throwing that exception. It's been broken for a while, but used to still show that message anyways. I'll see what I can do. I haven't had a lot of time for programming because my new puppy needs lots of supervision.

Fair enough. I understand it's significantly harder to code a puppy than to code a mod.

If you find that pup can suddenly travel through time and space via quantum tunnelling, you may have mixed up the two.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, wile1411 said:

You're mostly correct.

The beacons are powered by EC. It's specifically the jump action that requires Karborundum to function. The Karbonite resource is not relevant to the mod (unless you change the cfg files), but is included in by way of the required CommunityResourcePack mod (included with the ESLD mod) 

Karborundum is found off-Kerbin. (ESLDBeacons Wiki mentions two places specifically - wont spoil it here in case you'd rather 'explore/search' for them in your game.)
There is also the extras folder that comes with the ESLD install. This gives you some additional options on where you'd like to find Karborundum so you can tailor your game to have you want to play.

Having Karbonite on your extractor is not added by this mod (at least - not that I can find looking at the github code).
Karbonite adds to the following drills "DRT-21 Ventral Drill Assembly" / "DRT-40 Radial Karbonite Drill" / "KA-625 Mini-Drill" from the Karbonite+ mod which you should also see having Karborundum on the extractor.

If you DON'T have the USI Karbonite+ mod installed, you should only have a Karborundum extract option added to your drills from this MM patch included with ESLD
If you DO have Karbonite+, you will have other resources added (Karbonite included), but there will also be an additional place where you can harvest Karborundum via a solar collector.
Specifically 'where' is up to you to find out - just know it's NOT within 2000m of the sun as described by the very old Karbonite forum thread. That location has since been moved due to Kerbol getting a massive increase in heating effects when you are close in past KSP version update.

Alright, on to the next query...

I've got the Extras folder now, and have attempted to place it pretty much everywhere I can think of. Taking the easy way, I was hoping to get some Karborundum off Ike. And the Resource scan is showing it all over the place. But the numbers stay stubbornly at 0.0%, and nothing will mine.

Am I supposed to be installing the Extras folder and the .CFG files it contains in a specific location? Or am I just being somewhat dim? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I don't have the answer to your specific problem @Messernacht, but I was messing with ways to dodge Karborundum farming last year and can suggest the alternative of 'synthesising' it.

This particular config requires 5000ec to produce 1 unit of Karborundum, but you could adapt that, or add a requirement of 50 ore or something like that :) 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, eddiew said:

I don't have the answer to your specific problem @Messernacht, but I was messing with ways to dodge Karborundum farming last year and can suggest the alternative of 'synthesising' it.

This particular config requires 5000ec to produce 1 unit of Karborundum, but you could adapt that, or add a requirement of 50 ore or something like that :) 

I appreciate that. Will give it a look. Would be most keen to get the mining working as a first option, just in terms of storyline and having the ships to hand to mine it, but may end up going this path.

12 minutes ago, Messernacht said:

I appreciate that. Will give it a look. Would be most keen to get the mining working as a first option, just in terms of storyline and having the ships to hand to mine it, but may end up going this path.

To be fair, the difference between putting Karborundum on other bodies vs being able to make it from ore is very small :)

Also I think the resources may generate when you start a game... it's possible that you can't just add it later. Maybe.

35 minutes ago, eddiew said:

To be fair, the difference between putting Karborundum on other bodies vs being able to make it from ore is very small :)

Also I think the resources may generate when you start a game... it's possible that you can't just add it later. Maybe.

Sorted it. Just realised I had the wrong approach

Don't Drink Coffee: Find Problem

Drink Coffee: Attempt, but Fail to Fix Problem

Drink Scotch: Fix Problem

Edited by Messernacht

7 hours ago, eddiew said:

Out of interest @Messernacht what did you do? :)

I took the Extra files from the ESLD Master download, pasted the text directly into the Community Resource Pack folder's Karborundum file, and then changed some of the numbers relating to the availability and spread. Appears to have done the trick.

Your solution of adding the module to the module config was what helped me figure out this solution, so thanks again.

Edited by Messernacht

7 hours ago, m0useparty said:

This isn't strictly how the mod is intended to be used, but is it possible to edit the part files in order to allow the beacons to be used from the ground?

Nah, unless it's been changed it won't be possible with just the part files.  You can edit the g limit in the part config but there's a secondary value that kicks in to prevent transmission within 1.25 planetary radii.  That was intended to give Gilly and some of the smaller Joolian moons a meaningful exclusion zone.  That value is applied in the source code, so it would require an edit and recompile.  

I'm uncertain since it's been a while, but I want to say that you'd also have issues transiting if either vessel is in a LANDED state, since there's a few bits in the code that reference the orbit parameters of the vessels involved and I don't believe landed vessels have an associated orbit.  

Definitely 100% would break if you tried to transit to a beacon on the ground, not least because there's a 50% chance you'd end up underground.  

1 hour ago, TMarkos said:

Nah, unless it's been changed it won't be possible with just the part files.  You can edit the g limit in the part config but there's a secondary value that kicks in to prevent transmission within 1.25 planetary radii.  That was intended to give Gilly and some of the smaller Joolian moons a meaningful exclusion zone.  That value is applied in the source code, so it would require an edit and recompile.  

I'm uncertain since it's been a while, but I want to say that you'd also have issues transiting if either vessel is in a LANDED state, since there's a few bits in the code that reference the orbit parameters of the vessels involved and I don't believe landed vessels have an associated orbit.  

Definitely 100% would break if you tried to transit to a beacon on the ground, not least because there's a 50% chance you'd end up underground.  

Ah fair enough then, never mind but thanks a lot! There goes my plans for a new playthrough about building rockets without any ascent stages, in a not completely cheaty way

On 7/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, m0useparty said:

Ah fair enough then, never mind but thanks a lot! There goes my plans for a new playthrough about building rockets without any ascent stages, in a not completely cheaty way

Or, alternatively, any plans you had on bypassing blockades, jumping into the atmosphere, falling and launching fighters on the way down, before jumping away.

Sadly, no Adama Maneuver for you...or for me...

• 2 months later...

Greetings all. Another query.

I'm trying to figure out which number on the LB-15 file can increase that limit from 50 tons to a bit higher. I'm working my way through a bit of a tale on my main game, and it would help out with the intra-Kerbol jumps. Am looking to use the LB-100 for one helluva inter-system jump, and these smaller ones would be useful.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone's still paying attention, the 1.4.1 version of this mod seems to work just fine in 1.6.1 - at least, my customised parts using ESLD beacon modules are zipping my craft between them.

For some reason, it didn't work until I installed Interstellar Fuel Switch. Maybe it was always a dependency and I just didn't notice, or maybe I've done something very odd with my install.

Of note for people starting a new career, https://spacedock.info/mod/835/FTL Drive Continued looks very similar and is up to date with 1.6

Edited by eddiew

23 minutes ago, eddiew said:

If anyone's still paying attention, the 1.4.1 version of this mod seems to work just fine in 1.6.1 - at least, my customised parts using ESLD beacon modules are zipping my craft between them.

For some reason, it didn't work until I installed Interstellar Fuel Switch. Maybe it was always a dependency and I just didn't notice, or maybe I've done something very odd with my install.

Of note for people starting a new career, https://spacedock.info/mod/835/FTL Drive Continued looks very similar and is up to date with 1.6

Actually the two mos, while having the same goal, work quite differently, would be bestto read and compare them before deciding

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually the two mos, while having the same goal, work quite differently, would be bestto read and compare them before deciding

My apologies, they both looked like "send beacon here to be able to use it as a warp point" ^^;

I'm too deep into this career (upgrading my 1.4.x to 1.6.x today) to swap, but maybe for 1.7 FTL will be my new thing :) 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 1:31 PM, eddiew said:

On 6/4/2018 at 3:15 PM, Booots said:
  On 6/4/2018 at 8:39 AM, Kaa253 said:

If I remember correctly this mod once gave a warning popup if you tried to jump with some cargo such as kerbals or karborundum that required the Heisenkerb compensator? 

It now seems to throw an exception at that moment saying something about .OrbitDriver.Renderer not found?

Hide contents

MissingFieldException: Field '.OrbitDriver.Renderer' not found.
  at ESLDCore.ESLDHailer.BeaconInterface (Int32 GuiId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Sorry, I know it is a very poor bug report :(

I get this same exception when selecting a beacon to jump to from the beacon interface, but nothing happens after that. Do any of you remember how you got it working in 1.6.1? I tried with and without IFS but it made no difference.

Alternatively, is there a compilation tutorial? I would try my hand at patching if I can do it without complicated environment setup.

Hey folks! I have some time tonight so I'm going to be looking into those errors and confirming this mod still works on 1.6.1. I'd also like to get the post-jump orbit predictions for jumps without the compensator.

Great news! I fixed the error, and have something resembling orbit prediction working!
I would like to make it a bit better-looking before I publish the update, though, so you might have to hold on a week or so.
In the meantime, the workaround is to always have an AMU active on your beacon. The error only occurs when there is no velocity compensation. In earlier versions of KSP it would fail quietly and still work, but they made the error-checking more aggressive.

Done! There's still one more bug that I know of (though I doubt any of you will encounter it, except maybe @eddiew ;) ).

I've fixed that exception and reintroduced the post-jump orbit predictions for jumps not using an AMU. And, if I may say so myself, they look good!

Pick up the newest over at SpaceDock or Github!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.