[1.11.+] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived (1.4.0)

Booots

46 minutes ago, TMarkos said:

I suspect that the problem stems from a change to the target generation code that DBooots made to resolve a key duplication error - he predicted the possibility in a comment.  The comment is line 173 in ESLDHailer.cs. This in turn seems to reflect a tendency by KSP to treat two distinct parts as identical in some cases. I have a sneaky suspicion that it has to do with some generalization it's making as part of performance optimization for unloaded craft. Solution is probably to move away from using the module itself as the far target key and instead use the parent vessel, or a unique id if that has the same problem. 

Sometimes I hate it when I turn out to be right. That's going to be a potentially challenging section to rework.

Just to confirm that that is the culprit, @fritobandito, can you save/reload, cycle through all the beacon vessels to confirm that they are activated and fueled? Then, if it still doesn't work, switch to the Eve beacon and reconfirm that it's activated. I've recently encountered a bug where a beacon that I had activated somehow became deactivated and simply required re-initializing.

I did a bit of troubleshooting last night and found that the warp menu simply wouldn't show multiple beacons, which i think is a byproduct of the issue @TMarkos is talking about? I assumed it was just a mod incompatibility issue, but I removed them all in groups and the issue never resolved. Today i wanted to try again from a new install.

My test setup was 5x lb10 each around a different moon of the same body: 'A' warps only to B, and B warps only to A. However, C,D,E only warp to A. If A is deactivated, B warps to C, C warps to B, and D,E warp to B. No matter which order they were turned on/off, they returned to the original configuration, which i think was ordered by MET. Note that Gravity/body interference and low fuel both work appropriately.

Edited by fritobandito

Uh oh. I'll work on fixing this. I don't have a ton of time at the moment, but at least you've given us a workaround in the meantime: have only the intended source and target beacon active. Not the best scenario, but at least things will still mostly work!

4 hours ago, Booots said:

Uh oh. I'll work on fixing this. I don't have a ton of time at the moment, but at least you've given us a workaround in the meantime: have only the intended source and target beacon active. Not the best scenario, but at least things will still mostly work!

I think you'd be surprised - most of the farTargets calls are only referencing the vessel, so the beacon is just there for the ride.  There are two instances where the beacon is fetched from the list directly, at lines 482 and 302-306.  If you package that nested foreach function where you iterate through the parts and their constituent modules into a function all of its own for general use, not only should it make it easy to provide those beacons at all three access points (the third being the farTargets population function) it probably will work better for the scenario where multiple beacons are active on one vessel.  I don't think it's necessary for this bugfix, but it would be relatively easy to make it return a list and then just make sure all the function outputs are fine with multiples.  In fact, the 482 instance **already** has multiple handling, it's just not functional because of the way the dictionary generates.  

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed the bug with beacons not appearing in the list. As @TMarkos suggested, I also cleaned up the way the list displays so that a beacon vessel only shows up once and not as many times as it has beacons. I could publish a fix now, but I think I'll wait until 1.2 is released and then do a proper release.

On 2016-09-12 at 8:35 PM, Tutumra said:

What is the current status of this mod?  Are you planning on continuing this into 1.2?

Current status is working with 1.1.3 (albeit with an annoying bug that will be fixed in the next update). I got a bit busy with life (finishing and defending my master's thesis) but now I'm back to working regular hours so I have time for KSP again (yay!). I am definitely planning on continuing this into 1.2.

@DarkGod Thanks for that MM script! I'll include it in the 1.2 release.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 5:14 PM, Squishydoo said:

ever thought of anything HALO - style?

What do you mean 'HALO-style'? I don't play HALO, sorry.

EDIT: P.S. 1.2 update should be finished tomorrow!

Edited by Booots

Hi

I have a question.

It is a little time since I used Jump beacons (KSP 1.1.3), but I noticed that the EC cost depends of the mass of the craft holding the beacon too. And not only the ship to be send.

I wanted to build a larger station holding some nuclear reactors und an external K+ tank. But the larger the station was, the higer the EC costs rose. And with it the distance to the gravity well.

My question now:
Is it intended to have as small beacons (or stations with the beacon) as possible? And might it be possible to tweak the EC cost as well as the gravity-dependance? For I would like to have a larger station with the beacon and not only a beacon alone with a battery and some solar panels.

- Isabelle

On 10/18/2016 at 10:02 AM, Squishydoo said:

RINGS!!!!!!!!!

I've played Halo and still have no idea what you're talking about.  Less exclamation points, and more complete sentences, please.  Or link some pictures.

On 10/18/2016 at 6:31 AM, Isabelle.V.Fuchs said:

It is a little time since I used Jump beacons (KSP 1.1.3), but I noticed that the EC cost depends of the mass of the craft holding the beacon too. And not only the ship to be send.

I wanted to build a larger station holding some nuclear reactors und an external K+ tank. But the larger the station was, the higer the EC costs rose. And with it the distance to the gravity well.

My question now:
Is it intended to have as small beacons (or stations with the beacon) as possible? And might it be possible to tweak the EC cost as well as the gravity-dependance? For I would like to have a larger station with the beacon and not only a beacon alone with a battery and some solar panels.

That's a part of the code I haven't looked at in a while, but I'm pretty sure the EC cost depends on the beacon type, the amount of Karborundum on board, and the local gravity. I could be wrong, of course. With a GMU attached it uses the vessel's mass to allow it to operate deeper in the gravity well with a corresponding increase in EC usage. Let me know if I'm wrong, but that's how I read the code - although I've never tested that; my beacons are always small.

Small beacons shouldn't be necessary, beacon stations should be a totally viable gameplay option so if the vessel mass is actually somehow affecting EC cost, let me know and I'll try to balance it out.

P.S. I highly recommend @RoverDude's USI Core mod nuclear reactors for all your crazy EC usage needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i saw this issue in the other thread a long time ago but I'm not digging through it at midnight, so my apologies if this is asked and answered.

I'm getting an error where when trying to activate a beacon the in-game text says something along the lines of "Activation Failed! - No Electric Charge" but there is f***loads of electric charge on the beacon vessel and another s***load being generated by a NFE reactor. Is there a stupid solution that I'm missing or?

On 10/23/2016 at 1:29 PM, Booots said:

That's a part of the code I haven't looked at in a while, but I'm pretty sure the EC cost depends on the beacon type, the amount of Karborundum on board, and the local gravity. I could be wrong, of course. With a GMU attached it uses the vessel's mass to allow it to operate deeper in the gravity well with a corresponding increase in EC usage. Let me know if I'm wrong, but that's how I read the code - although I've never tested that; my beacons are always small.

Small beacons shouldn't be necessary, beacon stations should be a totally viable gameplay option so if the vessel mass is actually somehow affecting EC cost, let me know and I'll try to balance it out.

P.S. I highly recommend @RoverDude's USI Core mod nuclear reactors for all your crazy EC usage needs.

The mechanic is that the higher mass increases the effectiveness of the GMU. If you build a class-e asteroid into your station you can run your LB100 in low Eve orbit.  The EC cost offsets this advantage. 1500 tons is the target heavy mass I used when calibrating it.

12 hours ago, Esquire42 said:

I think i saw this issue in the other thread a long time ago but I'm not digging through it at midnight, so my apologies if this is asked and answered.

I'm getting an error where when trying to activate a beacon the in-game text says something along the lines of "Activation Failed! - No Electric Charge" but there is f***loads of electric charge on the beacon vessel and another s***load being generated by a NFE reactor. Is there a stupid solution that I'm missing or?

Can you confirm for me that you're using the most recent version? I saw this a lot during early testing with 1.2 but I thought I had it fixed. If you're up-to-date, I'll try to replicate it and get back to you if I need a log or savefile or something.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.