[1.11.+] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived (1.4.0)

Booots

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, Messernacht said:

I'm trying to figure out which number on the LB-15 file can increase that limit from 50 tons to a bit higher. I'm working my way through a bit of a tale on my main game, and it would help out with the intra-Kerbol jumps. Am looking to use the LB-100 for one helluva inter-system jump, and these smaller ones would be useful.

In case you haven't figured it out, you're looking for the massFctr number. Dropping that should do it.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:38 AM, eddiew said:

I feel like I need to know what that bug is so I can judge x)

It was the fact that I was kind of cheating in how which resources the beacon consumes was stored that might have made it so that they always used Karborundum. Now it's truly up to the CFG file.

I also added a new variable that was intended to work as an overall cost scalar, but I think I also need to add another one for scaling just the distance to better support other sized solar systems. Oh well, that'll be for the next release.

• 2 months later...

none of the fuel tanks actually exist in the game for me. i checked in the files what science i need to unlock them, theyre not in there. i typed in the name in the search function in the vab, still nothing. basicly, if i wanna mine karborundum to power one of my beacons, i need to send out a ship with a beacon on it, because thats the only method i have to transport karborundum.

• 2 months later...

On V 1.8 anything I build that contains one of the four beacons disappears from my tracking stations and my system view, but they're still there according to Commnet. I also can't save any builds that contain a beacon. Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or just something that's come up because of the update.

The upgrade to KSP 1.8 changed the underlying Unity version and the C# .NET framework to build against, so every mod with a DLL needs to be recompiled to work.

As it happens, when I did that to this mod and CommNetManager, everything seems to function normally; I get a signal connection through a pair of active beacons as if there were no distance between them, and I can warp around the universe provided I can handle the arrival velocity.

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

The upgrade to KSP 1.8 changed the underlying Unity version and the C# .NET framework to build against, so every mod with a DLL needs to be recompiled to work.

As it happens, when I did that to this mod and CommNetManager, everything seems to function normally; I get a signal connection through a pair of active beacons as if there were no distance between them, and I can warp around the universe provided I can handle the arrival velocity.

How does one go about recompiling a dll?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have a beta available for this.  I do not have a new thread set up yet.

Beta available here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ESLDBeacons/releases/tag/1.2.1

Dependencies

I would appreciate it if someone could set up a simple install of this, create a few vessels and beacons, and send me the entire save file.  It would save me time in debugging and testing

BETA deleted for now

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Fwiw, I used this extensively in my last career (1.7.3) and it worked just fine 90% of the time.  There were some oddities with other mod packs, where vessels didn't "rebuild" correctly after teleporting (US2 bays for example) but otherwise it was generally fine.  I'll run it up on my test install tonight.

@linuxgurugamer

I was making a save with beacons and ships but I hit a snag. I see no fuel tanks or engines for the "jump" drive.

@Friznit oops I didn't see you were also doing this. Should have refreshed. If you get a save that works (maybe experience with the mod helps you here, I may be looking in the wrong place?) then by all means put it up. Mine has beacons but no ships, feel free to use it so you don't have to put up the beacons if you've not already done so. I scattered 6 of each all over the system, concentrating on the Jool and Kerbin systems with the smaller ones.

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

On 3/11/2020 at 7:41 AM, 5thHorseman said:

@linuxgurugamer

I was making a save with beacons and ships but I hit a snag. I see no fuel tanks or engines for the "jump" drive.

@Friznit oops I didn't see you were also doing this. Should have refreshed. If you get a save that works (maybe experience with the mod helps you here, I may be looking in the wrong place?) then by all means put it up. Mine has beacons but no ships, feel free to use it so you don't have to put up the beacons if you've not already done so. I scattered 6 of each all over the system, concentrating on the Jool and Kerbin systems with the smaller ones.

Please use @Booots's release from last night.  Seems that he released an update to this without updating the code on Github, which would explain the issue with the CommNetManagerChecker I mentioned earlier.

I'm deleting my beta until this gets resolved.

Ok, let's try this again:

Beta release, 1.3.0

• Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
  • Decompiled latest release and merged changes (source not uploaded to github)
  • Rebuild for KSP 1.8.x and newer
  • Replaced button code with ToolbarController
  • Added support for the Clickthrough blocker
  • Moved button textures into PluginData
  • Made 24x24 button texture
  • Fixed harmless nullrefs which were happening during load
  • Fixed bad texture references in three beacon parts files
  • Fixed bad texture references in four Techboxes parts
  • Fixed mesh reference for the IB1 part (cfg name: ESLD_IB-1)
  • Reformatted all part cfg files
  • Reformatted Agents.cfg
  • Added conditionalAttribute to Logger.Info & removed the #if DEBUG
  • Moved standard MM patches into MM_Patches folder
  • Added dependency lines for both dlls.  Eliminates the need to include the CommNetManagerAPI.dll

Download it from here:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ESLDBeacons/releases/tag/1.3.0

A suggested mod to go along with this is the CommNet Manager; it's designed to allow multiple commnets in the system (used in case multiple mods use certain features of the commnet).  From the Spacedock entry:

Stock KSP includes some modability when it comes to CommNet, and a few mods have taken advantage of this (CommNet Constellation, and RemoteTech to name some), but KSP only allows one instance of CommNet to exist, which means those mods can't play nice together. CommNet Manager allows them to be installed alongside each other.

You can get it from here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1529/CommNet Manager

or via CKAN

2 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Nice one.  I hadn't appreciated this uses features of CommNet.  Presumably that's the line of sight checking bit?

I'm guessing it's more that you have to have an active connection between your ship and the beacon you're using to jump.  Could be either or both, however.

It allows ships with active beacons to act as if there is zero range between them, for communications purposes.  Sort of like the hyperpulse generators from BattleTech.  No idea if/how this interacts with RemoteTech (zero lag?), but I suppose that's what CommNet Manager is supposed to help with.

10 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

It allows ships with active beacons to act as if there is zero range between them, for communications purposes.  Sort of like the hyperpulse generators from BattleTech.  No idea if/how this interacts with RemoteTech (zero lag?), but I suppose that's what CommNet Manager is supposed to help with.

I think that RT and this are on different Comm networks (not positive).  But it seems from reading that the CommNetManager allows each mod that uses the API to have it's own network.

I really have no idea if any other mod uses it or not

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.