Parachute deployment animation

I am having problems with custom parachute deployment, the parachute deploys but it wont deploy. There are 2 animations, semiDeployLarge and fullyDeployLarge,

xD6922J.jpg

partconfig

Spoiler

PART
{
    name = CCPRingSail
    module = Part
    author = HarvesteR
    MODEL
    {
        model = RaptorAerospacial/CommonCorePod/CCPRingSail
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1
    attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
    node_stack_back = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
    buoyancyUseCubeNamed = PACKED
    sound_parachute_open = activate
    TechRequired = landing
    entryCost = 5000
    cost = 1200
    category = Utility
    subcategory = 0
    title = CCPRingSail
    description =
    manufacturer =
    mass = 0.25
    dragModelType = default
    angularDrag = 3
    crashTolerance = 12
    maxTemp = 2500 // = 3100
    emissiveConstant = 0.7
    breakingForce = 100
    breakingTorque = 50
    bodyLiftMultiplier = 0
    stageOffset = -1
    tags =
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleParachute
        invertCanopy = true
        autoCutSpeed = 0.5
        capName = cap
        canopyName = canopy
        semiDeployedAnimation = semiDeployLarge
        fullyDeployedAnimation = fullyDeployLarge
        stowedDrag = 0.22
        semiDeployedDrag = 1
        fullyDeployedDrag = 500
        minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04
        clampMinAirPressure = 0.04
        deployAltitude = 1000
        deploymentSpeed = 0.12
        semiDeploymentSpeed = 0.5
        chuteMaxTemp = 650
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDragModifier
        dragCubeName = SEMIDEPLOYED
        dragModifier = 0.67
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDragModifier
        dragCubeName = DEPLOYED
        dragModifier = 25
    }
}

Edited by RaptorHunterMz

Hi can't see anything obvious there in the pic or the cfg, I am tired though :)  I'd suspect a problem with the animation ( sometimes if you tweak it at a later time, even though it looks ok unity can throw a fit when the part is loaded in game ) , though if there was it would show up in the log. Fairly obvious but you didn't move anything around after you'd finished the animation?       

It's a personal; preference thing and probably makes no difference but I always put the chute animations on the main gameObject and in the animation elements part of the inspector i have them arranged in the order they will be used, so semi deployed before fully deployed.

That point aside your hierarchy and cfg are almost apart from the values identical to mine. I'd be tempted to redo the animation as it's a fairly straight forward operation and see if that fixes it. Sorry can't be much more help

4 hours ago, RaptorHunterMz said:

Help please, I can't solve this.

Hi just because the animation works in blender does not mean that it is not at fault or that KSP should run it because blender does, Parachute animation is so simple once you've made your chute and properly sized everything  animating it in unity is a matter of minutes, and usually if you animate in unity and it plays It will very likely play in KSP ,  How did you animate it?  did you follow the usual method of scaling the chute to achieve the animation?  

I generally import chutes fully zeroed, that is full size with all transforms zeroed. Once the scene is set up and materials applied I then scale the canopy down to around one hundredth 0.01 of its full size or whatever it takes to hide it within the parachute pack.

So first the semi deploy animation is created  , with the way I lay my models out this usually ends up being scaling Z back to 1 (full size) and X/Y to 0.2 so 1/5th of full size, and that's that, close window, make a brew, start fully deploy animation.   

As the chute will be closed you should set the first keyframe value to that at the end of the semi deploy animation, so Z to full size, and X/Y to 0.2, chug across your timeline and set the last key frame at full scale on all axis, and that should be it,

Needless to say you can tweak those numbers to suit the chute, for instance my modern chutes, wing canopies,  are always a bit taller in semi deploy state than stated above as they are very wide when deployed so a lot of line goes into the full spread making the canopy pull down as it goes to fully deploy.

If you did anything like the procedure above and it really doesn't work still. you could always drop me a link or pm and I'll happily take a look at it for you.

PS I know how it feels, I've been fighting  with a chute problem for weeks and still not nailed the issue

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

17 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi just because the animation works in blender does not mean that it is not at fault or that KSP should run it because blender does, Parachute animation is so simple once you've made your chute and properly sized everything  animating it in unity is a matter of minutes, and usually if you animate in unity and it plays It will very likely play in KSP ,  How did you animate it?  did you follow the usual method of scaling the chute to achieve the animation?  

I generally import chutes fully zeroed, that is full size with all transforms zeroed. Once the scene is set up and materials applied I then scale the canopy down to around one hundredth 0.01 of its full size or whatever it takes to hide it within the parachute pack.

So first the semi deploy animation is created  , with the way I lay my models out this usually ends up being scaling Z back to 1 (full size) and X/Y to 0.2 so 1/5th of full size, and that's that, close window, make a brew, start fully deploy animation.   

As the chute will be closed you should set the first keyframe value to that at the end of the semi deploy animation, so Z to full size, and X/Y to 0.2, chug across your timeline and set the last key frame at full scale on all axis, and that should be it,

Needless to say you can tweak those numbers to suit the chute, for instance my modern chutes, wing canopies,  are always a bit taller in semi deploy state than stated above as they are very wide when deployed so a lot of line goes into the full spread making the canopy pull down as it goes to fully deploy.

If you did anything like the procedure above and it really doesn't work still. you could always drop me a link or pm and I'll happily take a look at it for you.

PS I know how it feels, I've been fighting  with a chute problem for weeks and still not nailed the issue

I found the root of the of the problem. I spelled cap and canopy with a Capital C on the model.

capName = cap
        canopyName = canopy

15 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

How many times has or does a mod prob come down to a typo? more times than I'd care to mention. Well done and keep at it :)

The parachute part gets pulled out, sometimes even breaks free of the pod when the parachute changes from semi deployed to fully deployed.

You can try the mod:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.