[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover

icedown

f057105230ce15b89594502ddc1483dc.jpg

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and is upgradable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Inventory System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

Unfortunately, Some people on here don't like the forum rules regarding Mod development, leading to Angel 125 dropping this project. This now is open to the community to add to, and work on collectively. In order to keep the mod orderly, We will hold a vote on features, parts, etc. before including anything in an official release.

CactEye Telescopes works best with Distant Object Enhancement by MOARdv.

CactEye Telescopes supports Research Bodies by @JPLRepo

CactEye Contracts require Contract Configurator by @nightingale

Downloads

GitHub-Logo.png

logo4-lesssoft-500.png

Development Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/141298-112-cacteye-optics-community-takeover-updated-06052016/

License:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

"Cacteye Telescopes Community Takeover" is a derivative work of "CactEye Telescopes Continued" by Angel 125, which is a derivative work of "CactEye 2" by Raven, which is a derivative work of "CactEye Orbital Telescope" by Rubber-Ducky. It is licensed under CC BY 4.0.

Current Release:  1.5.1.15 10/29/2018

• Updated to 1.5.1
  • Changed out of power GUI action to close and notify user rather than just blank the window

Previous Changelogs

Spoiler

1.3.1.14 10/22/2017

• Updated to 1.3.1

1.3.0.13  7/18/2017

• Updated to 1.3.0
  • De-Linqed

1.2.2.11  1/1/2017

• Updated to 1.2.2

1.2.1.10 11/12/2016

• Compiled against 1.2.1
  • Fixed asteroid processor science bug

1.2.0.9 10/21/2016

• Compiled against 1.2.0
  • Restructured GUI for better usability

1.1.3.8 09/09/2016

• Fixed Dres science bug finally, again!

1.1.3.7 09/26/2016

• Removed DOE hook
  • Science Definitions overhauled again to clean them up
  • Science Rebalance
  • Fungeye with a level 1 processor should produce 12 Science on the first action
  • Science Changes
    • Processor Level Multipliers
      • Level 1 25%
      • Level 2 50%
      • Level 3 100%
    • Telescope Multipliers
      • Fungeye 50%
      • CactEye 100%
    • Science given is calculated (BaseScience * Processor Multiplier * Telescope Multiplier)
    • Adaptive Science Cap added based on the same multipliers, It is no longer possible to get all of the data for a Subject until you have a CactEye Telescope with a level 3 processor
  • Contracts reworked to use new science experiment definitions

1.1.3.6 09/09/2016

• CactEye Telescopes are now compatible with Research Bodies

1.1.3.5 09/01/2016

Current Change Log:

• Dres science should now work
  • All config settings should be honored now
  • Rebalanced science of Kerbin SOI and other moons
  • Updated compile against newwest DOE
  • Initial update for integrating Research Bodies

1.1.3.4 06/23/2016

•  

1.1.2.2 06/05/2016

• Fixed UI Lockup after doing science
  • Fixed AppLauncher button not working
  • Fixed all config settings being written to Debug Mode
  • Added ability to disable modification of asteroid spawn rates

Contributors:
@Andem @Sethplays @Angel-125 @Rubber Ducky @Raven. @KaiserSoze

Edited by icedown
Update 1.5.1.14

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there :), fantastic mod, great job with keeping it alive for us. I'm having an issue with the 1.1.2 build (last released one before your 1.1.3 update i believe) using RSS/RO as well, I can provide further information but I just thought I'd ask if this is the place to post that kind of thing or not, don't want to clutter up your thread unnecessarily. :) Keep up the great work.

Edited by Sir_Fanch
Nevermind me, carry on :P.

Hey y'all! I've started working on remaking some of the Cacteye parts, as well as adding new ones, over at the development thread. Take a look and leave your feedback - remember, it's a community mod!

• 1 month later...

I get an error message asking me to post here when I try to analyze Dres with a level 1 processor and the basic fungi telescope, so I'm posting here :) . The other planets and moons I can reach all work fine.

While I'm here, I'm also having trouble adding the processor mounts into the service bay in VAB - the only place I seem to be able to get them to attach at all is the floor, and they much rather attach to the outside of the bay. I also noticed you can't fit the processor mounts in the service bay in the VAB with snap on.

Otherwise, all seems working and having fun :D Thanks!

Edited by stub

On 7/31/2016 at 10:57 AM, stub said:

I get an error message asking me to post here when I try to analyze Dres with a level 1 processor and the basic fungi telescope, so I'm posting here :) . The other planets and moons I can reach all work fine.

While I'm here, I'm also having trouble adding the processor mounts into the service bay in VAB - the only place I seem to be able to get them to attach at all is the floor, and they much rather attach to the outside of the bay. I also noticed you can't fit the processor mounts in the service bay in the VAB with snap on.

Otherwise, all seems working and having fun :D Thanks!

Dres bug has been noted.  New release coming soon fixing that and damage configs being ignored. 

Putting mounts in the service bay is like putting things in a cargo bay, if snap is on they can't be put inside the bay on the walls.  As far as I know, this is a limitation of the design of the game.  For this mod, you only need at most 2 mounts.  More than one processor level on a telescope is useless, as they all contribute to the same experiment, just in different amounts of science being contributed.  You can upgrade the telescopes using KIS/KAS easily.  As far as backups go, if you point the scope at the sun, not only will the processor blow, but the telescope will be damaged and an EVA will have to be done to repair this.  I personally mount a KIS box in the back of the service bay with extra processors and tools in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is this compatible with the "Research Bodies" mod? I looked through the old Cacteye thread but couldn't find any definite information.

I'd like to be able to make 1 telescope that can discover new planets/search for asteroids/take pretty pictures.

Either way, great mod! and thanks for taking it over and keeping it going!

7 hours ago, RecidivistTwist said:

Is this compatible with the "Research Bodies" mod? I looked through the old Cacteye thread but couldn't find any definite information.

This is what I'm currently working on.  It will be out in the next release.

On 8/3/2016 at 6:50 AM, LemonSkin said:

I believe the Distant Object Enhancement patch needs updating. It spams the debug menu saying it's missing an older version of DOE.

I can confirm I'm getting the same issue, and when I get a chance to get KSP loaded I'll grab a copy of the error message.

Edit (2016-08-20--12-46-01): The error is as follows:

[EXC 12:42:42.963] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

It doesn't happen when CactEye is not installed.

~~~

Besides that, what else is required to add new planetary bodies besides the ScienceDefs.CFG file? Specifically, I've created an RSS and RSSExpanded set of science definitions that use the same structure as the standard science definitions with names changes and the description grabbed from the RSS/RSSExpanded body files.

What else am I missing, as I'm surely missing some part somewhere but I didn't see anything else referencing OPM (which I assumed was a relatively simple way to find the compatibility patches required to get it to work with a modified solar system).

Thanks!

Edit Log:

Edit 2016-08-20--12-47-02: Added exact error message from log spam.

Edited by Guswut
See edit log at bottom of post.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while.  I've got a dent in my desk now from still trying to figure out the EVE problem but here is a bug fixing update.  I'm integrating Research Bodies but I'm having problems getting the wrapper to initialize so I'm having to push that back.  Check the OP for download links.

I forgot to post in this forum as well.  Verson 1.1.3.6 is now current.  Change log includes:

• CactEye Telescopes are now compatible with Research Bodies and can locate as well as assist in researching new planets.  (Future updates will fine tune balance issues)
  • With the latest version Stock Visual Enhancements, the graphical problems with invisible planets in the GUI appears to be solved.

Hey everyone!

I'm the original developer of this mod - I created and started work on this over two years ago. I've been away from KSP and the internet for a couple of years, so I stopped working on the mod. I don't currently intend on returning to update this mod or add anything new to it - it looks like there's some more capable people who have taken over! I just wanted to say thank you to all of the members of the community that have worked on this mod since I could no longer maintain it - especially to @Raven., @Angel-125, and now @icedown. It's pretty cool to see someone else maintaining/improving something you created over two years earlier and almost forgot about.

The computer I built this mod on fried a while back, and I thought I'd lost the source files to this mod and some other ones, but skimming through some backup drives I managed to inadvertently save the files! If anybody (particularly icedown) is interested in the original models/textures for the parts, send me a PM!

Edited by Rubber Ducky

1 hour ago, MagicFireCaster said:

So i've been triying to use the mod with the latest version of distant object but it doesn't seem to work well even with the patch

What do you mean it doesn't work well.  That's not much to go on.

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

I'm only getting 0.1 science from observations, regardless of what body I image. Is this as-designed? I used to get significantly more.

I'll check into this.  I may have a multiplier set to low.  Are you using the fungeye or the main scope and which processor are you using?