[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover

icedown

Long term observations is something I am working on. I can't use the keep a "keep satellite in orbit for x days" because I want the gyros to decay at their normal rate so I'm having to expand the code to tick the gyro's regardless of scene.   Servicing missions is definitely a possibility.

The science issue might be from how I do the dynamic cap on the science depending on the scope/processor combination used.  I did this to limit the number of science experiments but I guess this system is not going to work.

So with that being said, I'm going to have to rewrite the contracts and science definitions.   If you have a planet pack that you would like to see added to this mod, you can mention it here.  A list of planets with the description for the science as viewed through the scope will greatly speed up the process.  Currently supported are stock and OPM.

I only use OPM myself, so no suggestions there. One thing that might (?) be an easy win and allow for more contracts is adding some more sensor types, as you wouldn't need more models for those, just new configurations. Maybe an infra-red sensor, x-ray sensor, etc? More different telescope bodies would be ideal, but I know that would be a lot more work. I was actually really surprised by how many there are in real life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_telescopes

4 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

Great mission, I like your servicing craft! This reminds me of another question/though I had -- I've never tried, but how easy is it to get a shot of Moho without blowing out your telescope's sensors?

Thank you very much. It's a new servicing craft; just getting it broken in.

Not easy. Moho is the hardest planet to get a picture of with CactEye. The way I've done it in the past is close the aperture, select "control from here" from the CactEye module, use MechJeb's SAS to line the scope up, and then open the aperture. 

Hi there guys! Great mod, but with the biggest tube I've got the problem where ever i place the processor it won't recognise it... Even if i target a planet. Keeps saying that it is missing the processor. Anybody any clue why? The low-tech telescope works fine.

Edited by MetaframeNL

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 7:49 AM, cyberpunkdreams said:

...I've never tried, but how easy is it to get a shot of Moho without blowing out your telescope's sensors?

I was having a lot of trouble with that.  Finally found an angle to Moho that worked for me:

jEQenlT.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had a situation where a CactEye Telescope/Wide-lens had it's processor just vanish after going back to the orbital telescope?

I'm using GPP with Kerbalism and a bunch of other mods.  The Telescope is there but when I open the bay, there is no processor.  I used this Telescope once with success but went back and the processor is gone??? 

11 hours ago, Tuko said:

Has anyone had a situation where a CactEye Telescope/Wide-lens had it's processor just vanish after going back to the orbital telescope?

I'm using GPP with Kerbalism and a bunch of other mods.  The Telescope is there but when I open the bay, there is no processor.  I used this Telescope once with success but went back and the processor is gone??? 

Maybe you accidentally ejected the processor (e.g. by pressing the Release button in the UI or something, I've done it myself in the past) and then it was marked as debris by KSP and destroyed?

5 hours ago, garwel said:

Maybe you accidentally ejected the processor (e.g. by pressing the Release button in the UI or something, I've done it myself in the past) and then it was marked as debris by KSP and destroyed?

Ahhh, I think you are correct....I remember wondering what the release did and most likely hit the button to see what it did.

Btw, why do we need the release button anyway?

41 minutes ago, Tuko said:

Ahhh, I think you are correct....I remember wondering what the release did and most likely hit the button to see what it did.

You need it if you want to replace the processor (with a more advanced one or if it was burned). Though I'd prefer to have a confirmation dialog or at least a more clear description of what it does.

3 hours ago, Tuko said:

I had not really paid attention to it.  If your using KIS, it's not really needed so I'll probably be removing it.

Update on progress.

I'm fighting with my new gyro decay code at the minute.  It seems like they are either exploding way to soon or not decaying enough.  Working on getting that balanced out.

Edited by icedown

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Whalesharks Kerman said:

Woohoo!Finally I can build a telescope module for my Space Station!

Thank You @icedown

There are major changes in the works for CactEye.  Do not include any asteroid processors on your telescopes as they are disappearing in the next full release.  They don't work anyway.  FungEye will be re-purposed as a probe type camera but will still be interactive.  I'm ironing out some issues with the gyros, then I will be into the final stages of the rebuild.

A few small things:

First, I'd like to thank you for helping keep CactEye alive; I've started to use it recently, and it's brilliant, particularly if you're using a planets pack mod and literally don't know anything about the solar system coming into it.

Second, the OP has some text saying "a quick tutorial here", but I see nothing there. Do I just need a telescope to see it?

Third, will there be any way to keep gyros inactive (and prevent decay) until used for the first time? I'm strongly contemplating sending a telescope on a sundive so I can take a look at the inner planets without frying said telescope.

@Starman4308 As of right now, the telescopes are only usable from high kerbin orbit.  Gyros only decay when you are actually using the telescope also.  As far at the tutorial, that used to be an imgur gallery.  I am working on a rewrite that changes quite a lot of how it works.  The large CactEye telescope will still work the same basic way but the FungEye is becoming a camera for probes.  Do not use the asteroid processor as they do no work and are being removed and repurposed for the FungEye. 

Once I get this rework done, I'll update the OP with the new information as well as see if I can get someone to do a vid on it.