[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover

icedown

22 minutes ago, icedown said:

Like I said, you will be able to disable it but it it's in the spirit of the telescope it is inspired by so they will be in there and enabled by default.

The JWST could be realistic by raising the price to unlock it the more tech you unlock

Oh you can disable the looking at the sun frying the computer thing? Ok cool....

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Wow I'm glad the James Webb, Tarsier, and Tripplez telescopes don't include that insanity or I wouldn't use them lol....

Personally I think it is more insane that you can throw up something in orbit in KSP and it lasts forever and a year without any maintenance. Or that you can point your telescope directly at the sun without any special filters and it doesn't cook off. But to each his own, which is why @icedown is making it configurable. I was just posting suggestions to ease your pain when using the current version of CactEye, if you so choose.

12 minutes ago, draqsko said:

Personally I think it is more insane that you can throw up something in orbit in KSP and it lasts forever and a year without any maintenance. Or that you can point your telescope directly at the sun without any special filters and it doesn't cook off. But to each his own, which is why @icedown is making it configurable. I was just posting suggestions to ease your pain when using the current version of CactEye, if you so choose.

Well it's not really insane....so much as unrealistic, I guess. However this is a game and I want to have fun playing it. Servicing broken space parts isn't in my personal "fun" category. As someone new to the game getting things into orbit in the first place is hard enough. Having to periodically dock with stuff to fix it over time isn't something I am interested in doing for every single thing I launch into space. This is why I ALSO do not use life support mods.

I don't even have a base on the Mun yet, once I get one there it will be a huge achievement for me. I don't know that I could possibly land in the same place twice even with the Trajectories mod. I would probably need Mechjeb or TCA to land in the same place twice and I haven't even figured out how to make those two mods do that for me yet. So I certainly don't want to be REQUIRED to go back there to bring food and water and to fix broken stuff....

That's most likely why the Devs of the game didn't force these types of scenarios on the players, like making life support and fixing everything a mandatory part of the game. Fortunately for you there are mods available to make your personal experience playing as miserable and tedious as real life, if that is what you are really into. I'm not though. I just learned how to dock.

Edited by JoE Smash

6 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Well it's not really insane....so much as unrealistic, I guess. However this is a game and I want to have fun playing it. Servicing broken space parts isn't in my personal "fun" category. As someone new to the game getting things into orbit in the first place is hard enough. Having to periodically dock with stuff to fix it over time isn't something I am interested in doing for every single thing I launch into space. This is why I ALSO do not use life support mods.

I don't even have a base on the Mun yet, once I get one there it will be a huge achievement for me. I don't know that I could possibly land in the same place twice even with the Trajectories mod. I would probably need Mechjeb or TCA to land in the same place twice and I haven't even figured out how to make those two mods do that for me yet. So I certainly don't want to be REQUIRED to go back there to bring food and water and to fix broken stuff....

That's most likely why the Devs of the game didn't force these types of scenarios on the players, like making life support and fixing everything a mandatory part of the game. Fortunately for you there are mods available to make your personal experience playing as miserable and tedious as real life, if that is what you are really into. I'm not though. I just learned how to dock. 

Hardly miserable, or tedious, it gives my game meaning rather than run the same contracts over and over ad nauseam for the past year plus. Fortunately for you, you aren't required to use this mod to play KSP and some people might enjoy the current functionality, so requesting that some feature be configurable is preferable than asking to remove it entirely because you don't like it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, not sure if this is still being worked on or maintained, but I'm having a problem with missing parts. First, I noticed in my modded 1.3.1 game after install that there were processors missing. All of them. The wide field and asteroid telescopes appeared in the tech tree, but the processors aren't appearing anywhere. Additionally, only the asteroid scanning telescope has options on right click in flight, which is to enable/disable, while the wide field telescope has no way to enable/disable. I tested both in low/high kerbin orbit, and still only the asteroid scanner seemed to function.

I figured it might be one of my mods conflicting, so I created an entirely fresh install and tested it there, with the same result. Missing processors, wide field seemingly broken, same everything. I looked into the files and saw that there was a parts folder for processors, and all 6 (Planetary 1-3, Asteroid 1-3) have part files and seem to be totally intact, but of course aren't appearing in game. Gyroscopes and the probe core seem to be functioning fine however. I'm not sure if there's anything else missing or not, have only done testing with the wide field and asteroid teles and the gyroscope.

And as a side note, I read the README in the download and it mentions that there is a "Compatibility Patch for Distant Object v1.5.4" file included in the download, but there is no such file anywhere in the folder. Only Gamedata (Not in there, and not even in the Cacteye folder if it was a mistake), Example Craft (again, checked just in case, nothing), and the readme itself. Since I use DOE in my modded game, it'd be nice to have.

Would appreciate any help, this seems like a really cool mod that adds more functions than Tarsier, so it'd be a shame to have to give up on it.

I'm waiting on models but since I don't have an ETA on them yet, I'm going to do an update of the 1.3.1 version for 1.4.5.  It may take me a week or two to get it out.  Once I get the models out, I'm going to release it as a new version of CactEye.  

@Flyk  I'm not sure why the processors are missing.  I need the log file to diagnose any problems with the mod.  This mod does not add any function with Tarsier, it is completely separate.  And I think DOE was removed because of getting lazy with the updates while working on the newest version.  

1 hour ago, icedown said:

I'm waiting on models but since I don't have an ETA on them yet, I'm going to do an update of the 1.3.1 version for 1.4.5.  It may take me a week or two to get it out.  Once I get the models out, I'm going to release it as a new version of CactEye. 

People don't bug me enough about Cacteye to keep my mind on the parts. :) Though, I did enjoy where this was going...

wlamMsC.png

eoGXOgo.png

14 hours ago, Dutchbook said:

Any chance to tempt @akron to do his texturing magic on this? I get nostalgic just thinking about this jewel.

https://imgur.com/a/MvTe2OP

Cheers for the compliment!

I'd say @CobaltWolf has done a brilliant job with it. Keep in mind that his telescope is based on the original CactEye telescope with inspiration from Hubble, rather than a more historical replica, like I tend to do.

• 1 month later...

@icedown any ETA on 1.5.* compability? I really love that mod some years back and would love to have it on my next hard career playthrough. I want some telescopes that I need to aim and can look through and couldn't find other mod that would allow me (thing that really disappoint me in the ResearchBodies mod)

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Forien said:

@icedown any ETA on 1.5.* compability? I really love that mod some years back and would love to have it on my next hard career playthrough. I want some telescopes that I need to aim and can look through and couldn't find other mod that would allow me (thing that really disappoint me in the ResearchBodies mod)

Cheers!

You might want to check out Tarsier Space Technologies, but I'm right there with you in that I *really* miss this mod... 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154853-141-tarsier-space-technology-with-galaxies-v73-17th-mar-2018/

I am working on a basic patch for compatibility.  Work has been crazy lately but looks like I may have some freeish time starting next week.  I'm going to release both a 1.4.5 and a 1.5 version as soon as I get the time.  Still working on the rework too though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking at this mod along with a few others for new career.  I looked on Github, but don't see anything in the wiki

Is there a set of instructions anywhere about this, or even an explanation of the parts?  I see 6 little cameras, but it isn't clear whether they have to be mounted to the big telescope or if they are standalone.

Thanks in advance

On 1/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm looking at this mod along with a few others for new career.  I looked on Github, but don't see anything in the wiki

Is there a set of instructions anywhere about this, or even an explanation of the parts?  I see 6 little cameras, but it isn't clear whether they have to be mounted to the big telescope or if they are standalone.

Thanks in advance

There are currently only 3 of the processors working, the wide field ones.  Each level is capable of giving more science for a given body.  They have to be mounted in a telescope mount, either one manually placed in to the bay of the big telescope or the internal bay of the fungeye. 

I am still working on the rewrite but work keeps sending me to Puerto Rico so I haven't been able to do much for the last couple months.  The new models are not going to be around any time soon so I'm having to do the rewrite with the current models. 

8 hours ago, jonassm said:

The WideField survey of Moho contract can give me a reputation plus of 246. Isn't this extremely high? Considering its a simple 1-star contract? I'm on 1.6, could that have an effect on this in any way?

Probably an error in the contract. I'll have to check the changes to contract config

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, birdog357 said:

Is this forward compatible to 1.7.3?

While this is a good question, considering the lack of posts since 1.5.1....

1 hour ago, TameFroggy said:

Most likely not

Hmmm... have either of you actually *tried* it in a 1.6.1 or 1.7.3 install?

Granted there havent been many recent posts discussing usage or issues in 1.6.1 or 1.7.3, but that can also be taken as good news that it just might work in either version.
Most likely, if the mod *didnt* work in 1.6.1/1.7.3, I'm sure someone would have posted something already.

Either of you could have tried it, and decently given it a test run, and posted back, that "Hey, this *does* work in 1.6.1/1.7.3..."
Actually, it would have been nice if *anyone* else attempting it in those versions, before now had posted that they had or had not had any issues in moar current KSP versions than what the mod is officially last listed as supporting.