[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover

icedown

4 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

Does this require the compatibility patch for DOE?

There is not a DOE patch for this version.  I removed it a build or two ago while I clean up some internal code and get stuff working better.  After that is complete I'll start adding stuff like DOE back in.  There is a patch and other Cacteye versions on CKAN but I have no control over those.

• 3 weeks later...

doing a contract to take a picture of the Mun.  as you can see in this video I am pointed at the mun.  take the picture and transmit the "data" but the contract never updates.  is this because I had photographed the mun before and thus received no science reward?  what triggers the contract to complete?  the act of transmission or receiving science?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

Two Bugs

1. I'm getting debug message spamming in the log when I open up the settings from the Cacteye stock tool bar icon.
  2. Null reference when closing the GUI for the Cacteye telescope in flight.

Output log with both problems: Dropbox direct download

Debug logging should maybe be turned off by default.

Request!

Small QOL request. How do you feel about putting the settings into the now mod friendly in-game settings menu (scroll down)? It would in a way help you fix the first bug at the same time:wink: You can have different presets for different difficulty levels, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to make science with the FungEye Telescope?

With the GUI open and a processor installed it says imaging and processing is not available, but I can't find any parts in the research tree related to these two things. How do I get it to work? Or do I need the telescope further in the tech tree to actually get science from this mod?

you must have a processor installed like the "wide field" for instance.  then point your telescope at a planet or moon, NOT THE SUN, and then take a picture.  If you are zoomed in close enough it will return a science reward.

if you watch the video linked in my previous post it shows this process, however no science is returned as I had taken this picture before.  however, on a new picture it will indeed return science points.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

13 minutes ago, HellsHero said:

Thanks, it seems that you have to set a target first before the option to save an image or process data becomes available. It's working now at least.

Yes, otherwise it doesn't know what you're trying to photograph. In theory, you could have two bodies in the same field of view and be trying to get data from the one behind...

8 hours ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

Yes, otherwise it doesn't know what you're trying to photograph. In theory, you could have two bodies in the same field of view and be trying to get data from the one behind...

I've been testing ways to not require this but it gets really picky at Jool's moons and OPM is even harder.

Just now, cyberpunkdreams said:

I don't think it's a problem. You usually need to select a target so you know where to point the thing in the first place :wink:

It's something I've been trying out for an option to go with research bodies.  The idea being if you haven't researched it, how can you target it.

1 hour ago, icedown said:

It's something I've been trying out for an option to go with research bodies.  The idea being if you haven't researched it, how can you target it.

That's something I have done for ResearchBodies for 1.2+ which I haven't released yet.

1 minute ago, JPLRepo said:

That's something I have done for ResearchBodies for 1.2+ which I haven't released yet.

I was anticipating that, but getting the jumpy scope zoomed in far enough is proving too troublesome unless you like Ultra Manley mode.  I don't even want to think about having to target Plock manually at the moment.  Trying to come up with a stabilizer assistance addon part.  Don't know if i'll simply do a tech unlock or an actual part yet.  I'll leave that for when I actually have it working.

4 minutes ago, icedown said:

I was anticipating that, but getting the jumpy scope zoomed in far enough is proving too troublesome unless you like Ultra Manley mode.  I don't even want to think about having to target Plock manually at the moment.  Trying to come up with a stabilizer assistance addon part.  Don't know if i'll simply do a tech unlock or an actual part yet.  I'll leave that for when I actually have it working.

Yeah that's problematic. Maths, precision, Unity and KSP are against us on that one.

can use a PID idea.   as your angle to the target decreases you want to decrease the rate of change.  can simply adjust the torque of the gyros for this.  in very simple terms set your torque% to the angle between you and your target.  so at 90deg. off, your torque will be at 90%, but when you reach 1degree off target, torque will be 1%.  obviously this will not work as stated and I guess you probably know what a PID is, just including this brief description in case anybody did not know what I was talking about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 5:22 AM, Bit Fiddler said:

can use a PID idea.   as your angle to the target decreases you want to decrease the rate of change.  can simply adjust the torque of the gyros for this.  in very simple terms set your torque% to the angle between you and your target.  so at 90deg. off, your torque will be at 90%, but when you reach 1degree off target, torque will be 1%.  obviously this will not work as stated and I guess you probably know what a PID is, just including this brief description in case anybody did not know what I was talking about.

It's not a control issue, it's a precision one.  Angular movements are truncated and not precise enough for long range.  The minimum movement in a tick is simply to large and the imprecision makes it jumpy. 

I've been quiet this month due to Finals and the Holidays.  I'll be rolling out the 1.2.2 updates this week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, garwel said:

Is it intended behavior that CactEye doesn't offer contracts for discovery of planets until you send a telescope into a kolniya orbit? Why can't an ordinary high-orbit telescope do?

I'm not sure why the person who did the contract rewrite set that requirement, though I do agree with their idea that a more difficult orbit needs to be reached to unlock the more advanced contracts.  I don't think a kolniya orbit is the best choice though for a telescope orbit for looking at planets.   I will give this some thought and probably change it in the next release to an orbit that's a little more in line with the telescope requirements.

3 hours ago, icedown said:

I'm not sure why the person who did the contract rewrite set that requirement, though I do agree with their idea that a more difficult orbit needs to be reached to unlock the more advanced contracts.  I don't think a kolniya orbit is the best choice though for a telescope orbit for looking at planets.   I will give this some thought and probably change it in the next release to an orbit that's a little more in line with the telescope requirements.

I guess a solar orbit might make sense here.

On 09/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Bit Fiddler said:

doing a contract to take a picture of the Mun.  as you can see in this video I am pointed at the mun.  take the picture and transmit the "data" but the contract never updates.  is this because I had photographed the mun before and thus received no science reward?  what triggers the contract to complete?  the act of transmission or receiving science?

I've also had this problem. I had to use the debug menu to complete the contract in the end. I think the problem is that the system sends zero bits of data, so none is received and the contract doesn't get triggered. If you look at other experiments in the game, they always send the same amount of data, even if that data has zero science value.

On the subject of contracts, maybe they should be separated into a standalone mod? I love the mod overall, but I've always felt that the contracts are both a bit lackluster and unbalanced. I've been keen to start modding for KSP for ages, but just don't have time. I would probably be able to work on something such as this though.

Off the top of my head, with the currently available parts, two new types of contract that could be implemented are servicing missions and long term observations (unless they both exist already?)