[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover: Updated 10/22/2017

icedown

f057105230ce15b89594502ddc1483dc.jpg

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and is upgradable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Inventory System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

Unfortunately, Some people on here don't like the forum rules regarding Mod development, leading to Angel 125 dropping this project. This now is open to the community to add to, and work on collectively. In order to keep the mod orderly, We will hold a vote on features, parts, etc. before including anything in an official release.

CactEye Telescopes works best with Distant Object Enhancement by MOARdv.

CactEye Telescopes integrates with Research Bodies by @JPLRepo

CactEye Contracts require Contract Configurator by @nightingale

Downloads

GitHub-Logo.png

logo4-lesssoft-500.png

Release Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/141280-112-cacteye-optics-community-takeover/

License:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

"Cacteye Telescopes Community Takeover" is a derivative work of "CactEye Telescopes Continued" by Angel 125, which is a derivative work of "CactEye 2" by Raven, which is a derivative work of "CactEye Orbital Telescope" by Rubber-Ducky. It is licensed under CC BY 4.0.

Current Release: 1.5.1.15 10/29/2018

• Updated to 1.5.1
  • Changed out of power GUI action to close and notify user rather than just blank the window

Previous Changelogs

Spoiler

1.3.1.14 10/22/2017

• Updated to 1.3.1

1.3.0.13 7/18/2017

• Updated to 1.3.0
  • De-Linqed

1.2.2.11  1/1/2017

• Updated to 1.2.2

1.2.1.10 11/12/2016

• Compiled against 1.2.1
  • Fixed asteroid processor science bug

1.2.0.9 10/21/2016

• Compiled against 1.2.0
  • Restructured GUI for better usability

1.1.3.8 09/26/2016

• Removed DOE hook
  • Science Definitions overhauled again to clean them up
  • Science Rebalance
  • Fungeye with a level 1 processor should produce 12 Science on the first action
  • Science Changes
    • Processor Level Multipliers
      • Level 1 25%
      • Level 2 50%
      • Level 3 100%
    • Telescope Multipliers
      • Fungeye 50%
      • CactEye 100%
    • Science given is calculated (BaseScience * Processor Multiplier * Telescope Multiplier)
    • Adaptive Science Cap added based on the same multipliers, It is no longer possible to get all of the data for a Subject until you have a CactEye Telescope with a level 3 processor
  • Contracts reworked to use new science experiment definitions

1.1.3.7 09/09/2016

• Dres science bug fixed finally, again!

1.1.3.6 09/01/2016

• CactEye Telescopes are now compatible with Research Bodies for finding and researching the planets

1.1.3.5 09/01/2016

• Dres science should now work
  • All config settings should now be honored
  • Rebalanced science of Kerbin SOI and other moons
  • Updated compile against newest DOE
  • Initial update preparing for Research Bodies integration

1.1.3.4 06/23/2016

• Compiled against 1.1.3
  • Moved all science to high Kerbin orbit to stop breakage of progression and contract systems

1.1.2.2 6/5/2016

• Fixed UI Lockup after doing science
  • Fixed AppLauncher button not working
  • Fixed all config settings being written to Debug Mode
  • Added ability to disable modification of asteroid spawn rates

None Yet!

Contributors:
@Andem @Sethplays @Angel-125 @Rubber Ducky @Raven. @KaiserSoze

Edited by icedown
Update 1.5.1.15

Congrats on taking over this mod!

One quick question. How exactly do I accumulate science in career mode with this? I've launched the FungEye with a camera 2 module and tried pointed it at a all the planets (I'm using DOE) but no science button or anything. There's also no right click menu on the Camera modules. The only modules that have right click menus are the asteroid scanning modules, to scan for asteroids.

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

Can you add the skybox to the background like what JPLRepo did with the Tarsier Space Telescopes mod?

This mod was designed to actually remove the skybox as you focus in.  When observing bright objects such as planets, the telescope's exposure time is to little to gather enough light to view anything dim, like stars, in the background.  There are plans to add deep space processors and a new telescope frame for them.  Ones for nebulae and one for DSOs like galaxies and clusters.  I'm working on how the best way to implement those at the moment.

4 hours ago, ultraviolet150 said:

Congrats on taking over this mod!

One quick question. How exactly do I accumulate science in career mode with this? I've launched the FungEye with a camera 2 module and tried pointed it at a all the planets (I'm using DOE) but no science button or anything. There's also no right click menu on the Camera modules. The only modules that have right click menus are the asteroid scanning modules, to scan for asteroids.

To gain science with this mod, once in orbit, right click on the telescope part itself, not the processors and click show GUI.  A window will appear that shows you the view from the telescope.  On the bottom of the window is a slider that allows you to zoom in and there is one that controls the gyro sensitivity if you have the advanced gyro on the craft. Select a planet as a target and zoom and control the attitude to keep the planet in view so that it is fairly large and visible in the camera view.  On the bottom of the camera view are 2 buttons, the left one takes a picture to do the science, the right one takes a screen shot from the camera.  One you click the do science one, a standard science window will pop up, it's usually behind the main window.  I'm working on a better main window for future releases.

9 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

So... Does a switching of hands account for the version number going from 2.7.2.0 to 1.1.2.2? Because that's darned confusing.

Yes, and the version before that was very different as well.  I chose to go with the KSPVerson.Build for formatting since the last 2 already had different versioning systems.  They will remain in this pattern as long as I have it.

Edited by icedown

54 minutes ago, icedown said:

@ultraviolet150 I've added a short Imgur album as a tutorial to the OP

Ah! I didn't have the 'target' set as a target, hence the buttons didn't show up on the GUI.

Thanks for the effort, I know taking over a mod presents itself with a whole lot of challenges, including people as daft as myself asking silly questions. Thanks again for continuing this work <3

Just now, ultraviolet150 said:

Ah! I didn't have the 'target' set as a target, hence the buttons didn't show up on the GUI.

Thanks for the effort, I know taking over a mod presents itself with a whole lot of challenges, including people as daft as myself asking silly questions. Thanks again for continuing this work <3

Don't feel bad, it took me 4 separate launches before I spotted the show gui button :D

I'll have to actually play with TST before I can answer that.  I've only looked at the 2mm video so I don't know anything about them operationally at the moment. I will look into it though.  I know in the previous thread that the guys that make TST said they were doing a rewrite but I don't know if that has been completed yet or not.

One thing I'm working on right now is the addition of the deep space telescope(s).  I'm looking at a couple different implementations. 

One would be a point and shoot similar to the current interface.  Targets will possibly be things that appear on the skybox, but "enhanced" by the telescope.  As with the other telescopes, more science will come from more advanced processors and the more advanced processors will have more valid targets. These targets however, not be targetable by any part of the system and finding them will be a search on your own with no targeting assistance. 

Second idea.  The telescopes would be orbital scanners and function similar in operation to ScanSat systems.  Once in a specified orbit and activated, these will slowly but constantly generate science over time.  The maximum science generated will be determined by selected orbit and body orbited.  Only one processor will be able to be installed on these telescopes at a time and multiple telescopes in an orbit will increase rate of science generation, but not total science obtainable.  Since these telescopes will be big, heavy, and expensive, multiple telescopes will hopefully not really be feasible.

Third idea. Combination of 1 & 2.  Targets available and telescope has to be pointed manually.  However targets will have general directional information available.  The available targets depends on the amount of time in orbit.  Higher tier processors will generate targets faster.  Target generation will take place in background, not just when telescope is active.  Larger amounts of science will be available but will require work on the part of the user. 

Other ideas that may be added to any of these or even current settings

• When using manual pointing, target must be held within view for a certain amount of time for maximum science.
  • Control system integrated into GUI
  • Ability to store science for transport to research labs or return to Kerbin, system  may be similar or possibly compatible with TST.

Other ideas will be considered.  These are just the ones I came up with while brainstorming. 

Not to basically be asking the wrong person, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

Is there any chance that support for researchBodies will exist with these telescopes, I'm just curious as I thought that was a goal at one point of one of the hands on the mod.

researchBodies is a really cool system that I've been enjoying, and if it was as simple as dropping the TB-75M telescope module in then I'm sure it could be added without messing with too much of the extra features of either mod, but I think that's the main goal of the compatibility with TST.

Edited by Sherrif

20 minutes ago, oniontrain said:

Do I need to repost that weird EVE issue here or is it unfixable for now?

It is what I'm currently working on. It is an issue with the cameras being configured incorrectly.  I haven't dealt with them before so it may take me a while to sort this one out. 

Edited by icedown
Can't type tonight

@icedown People have already mentioned TST and Research Bodies, which are both run by @JPLRepo. I asked him awhile back about support for CactEye in Research Bodies and he said basically, well you can read his response here. Keep in mind he's literally just started working on ResearchBodies, and has a lot of plans for that mod.

Once things settle down with CactEye a bit, and he makes some head way with ResearchBodies, I recommend having a chat with him (if he doesn't show up here first). It would be a great to pursue compatibility at some point in the future. :)

p.s. Congrats on the promotion.

I'm going to leave the cameras alone for a little.  Can't seem to figure out what's wrong with them so I'll come back to them later.  If anyone has experience with them, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

For now I'm going to work on overhauling the science system.  As of current when you point at a planet and do the science, it registers as the science is done from that planet.  This breaks the contract system by making it think that you've been to that planet causing contracts to show up for a body you may not even be able to make it to yet.  I'm going to rework it so that it creates the science based on the primary planet you are orbiting.  This means that you won't be able to get more science just by placing the telescope in the orbit of moon.  Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

@icedown

I am glad to see that you are working on this and good luck with the camera issues!

I have an idea and I guess a request. There are big differences in the technology that make up many of the orbital observatories that have been launched throughout the years. As part of the interchangeability of the mod parts, how hard would it be to add different types of telescopes?

What I mean is this...could it be made where different types of telescopes are used based on technology. The way it has worked in our history is that we went from Orbital Ultraviolet Telescopes to Infrared to Microwave to Hubble.

More and different telescopes are in my plans.  Adding more processors and defining what processors can go to which scope are also something I'm looking into.  My priorities right now are getting the getting the cameras and science working better.  The main issue preventing addition of processors is the science problem right now.  Once I get the current ones working as they need to be, expanding them will be much easier.  Of course there's always the problem of my modeling capabilities ( I can make a grey 1m cube sat in blender....) but getting things brought up to current standards is my priority at the moment.

23 minutes ago, icedown said:

More and different telescopes are in my plans.  Adding more processors and defining what processors can go to which scope are also something I'm looking into.  My priorities right now are getting the getting the cameras and science working better.  The main issue preventing addition of processors is the science problem right now.  Once I get the current ones working as they need to be, expanding them will be much easier.  Of course there's always the problem of my modeling capabilities ( I can make a grey 1m cube sat in blender....) but getting things brought up to current standards is my priority at the moment.

I had offered my services as an artist to @Andem previously when he had taken over the mod. Considering that my main project is a giant, amorphous, never-ending blob, it wouldn't be too much for me to set it down occasionally and whip some more parts here and there. I rather enjoyed CactEye back when I played and wouldn't be opposed to seeing it grow, rather than just maintained.

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I had offered my services as an artist to @Andem previously when he had taken over the mod. Considering that my main project is a giant, amorphous, never-ending blob, it wouldn't be too much for me to set it down occasionally and whip some more parts here and there. I rather enjoyed CactEye back when I played and wouldn't be opposed to seeing it grow, rather than just maintained.

I didn't know you were working on Kerbin :P  I will never be quoted saying I don't need modeling help.  In keeping with my current theme of bringing things up to date, a remake of the current models would be my request at the moment.  While they are nice and were stock alike initially, they are dated and bland by current standards.  Updated models for these would be the first step towards the new telescopes.  

Testing Build 3

This build moves all science into high Kerbin orbit.  This should stop the breakage of the contract and progression systems by simply taking a picture.

This is NOT compatible with OPM or RSS.  Once I verify that this is working as intended, I'll update those configs.

Download at Github

On 6/15/2016 at 3:46 PM, icedown said:

I didn't know you were working on Kerbin :P  I will never be quoted saying I don't need modeling help.  In keeping with my current theme of bringing things up to date, a remake of the current models would be my request at the moment.  While they are nice and were stock alike initially, they are dated and bland by current standards.  Updated models for these would be the first step towards the new telescopes.  

Working on Kerbin..?

I will take a look at importing the existing models, to make sure I don't mess with the node placements at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.