[1.5.1] Cacteye Optics Community Takeover: Updated 10/22/2017

icedown

The optics are good only for the stock (or a similar sized) system, a system modifying mod with kopernicus (other worlds, ...) will easily reach distances where the optics magnification is not enough. Ideally there should be another optics with a much higher magnification but very expensive and/or very energy hungry so one has the possibility to operate it under higher difficulties.

I'm using with 1.6, seems to work except that you cannot point anywhere even close to the sun, I'm talking like 30 degrees or so otherwise the optics explode and needs an eva repair.  Either this is a change from prior versions (I haven't played in a while, but I know you used to be able to get Moho at least), or it's an issue between the mod and 1.6 where the mod thinks the sun is in a different place

edit  :  oh and even if  you have the aperture closed (cover on) it will still explode if you point near the sun

Edited by rottielover

22 hours ago, rottielover said:

I'm using with 1.6, seems to work except that you cannot point anywhere even close to the sun, I'm talking like 30 degrees or so otherwise the optics explode and needs an eva repair.  Either this is a change from prior versions (I haven't played in a while, but I know you used to be able to get Moho at least), or it's an issue between the mod and 1.6 where the mod thinks the sun is in a different place

edit  :  oh and even if  you have the aperture closed (cover on) it will still explode if you point near the sun

This is due to it not taking into account the zoom setting currently used.  I'm not just going to update it to 1.6 since there are a lot of issues with it. I've restarted the rewrite so things will be cleaned up and working quite differently.  I don't have a timeline on it yet but I'm progressing steadily.  I've learned a lot about unity in the last couple months so things should go quite a bit smoother this time.  I did have one ready but after learning some things, it was generally a really bad setup and decided to redo it.  I'll try to get basic test versions out quickly and then start building in the features.

That's cool, sorry I didn't have any idea that a re-write was in-progress.  Thanks for taking over on this mod, this is one of my favorites and has been since it came out.

If I may be so bold I have a suggestion - I'm an astrophotographer in RL and I know a thing or two about taking pictures thru a telescope ;)      My suggestion would be to add a contract  (or multiple contracts), to take long duration exposure (if you need inspiration take a look at the Hubble Deep Field images).  I have seen a few other contracts that include timers on the mission, I think you could probably setup a timer, the trick will be the target.

One thing that I am not sure about is if you can programatically create a false target (ie just a random direction on the navball).  One limitation of Cacteye was always that it's focused on the bodies in the system, then later when asteroids came out that functionality got added but the primary purpose of a space based telescope is going to be deep field photography (objects that exist outside the system).  I'm not really sure if that was due to game limitations only or not.

Since I'm giving suggestions here are a couple of more thoughts on things that could take the mod to the next level:

Radio Telescope - You could have this part create false color images, or even have a ground based dish and the player's challenge is to get the dish to an appropriate site on Kerbin to set it up (I mean the mod already requires KAS/KIS so why not).

Different optics - Infrared, Narrowband imaging for Hydrogen Alpha, ionized oxygen and sulfur (These are the standard "hubble pallet" for narrow band photos, if you need some links to look at let me know).

Finally, I'll even "put my money where my mouth is", and here is a link to my work, if there is a way to include pictures inside the game for completed contracts then I would be happy to license any of my photos to you for that purpose.

LINK: Rottie's Astrobin

@rottielover

Long duration exposures for planets are already planned and I have also been considering random targets as well.  As far as other types of scopes, they need to have some other function other than just changing what the object looks like.  I don't feel that just taking the same picture with a different processor/camera to be enough to gain additional science.  While real world applications this is a major difference, from a game-play balance perspective, I don't feel that it warrants a whole new set of science.  Options i am considering are like the radio telescope but using a spectrographic type display for pointing.  Also occultation shots for both type of telescopes is another option.  These are quite a bit down the line though as just getting it back up and running are my main concerns.

• 5 months later...

Help fulfill the contract. I flew to the moon. He took with him a thermometer. Measure the temperature. Landed back on Krebin. But the contract was not counted. What would it do to fulfill this contract ??? In the contract the following points are indicated: 1) Transport experiment to Mun 2) Satisfy all experiment (check experiment for details) 3) Complete experiment 4) Landbin or splash completed experiment on Kerbin.  https://imgur.com/jQ5n9v9   https://imgur.com/l1ukG9l

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Work has let up a little so I am back working on the rewrite.  I don't know a date right now I'm back where I can work on it for the first time in a while.

@infinite_monkey  As you might expect from a telescope with a jumbo sized set of cameras, it produces a large amount of data.  I haven't messed with Kerbalism in a really long time so I really don't know how it works now.  I'll look into it when I get to the science part of the rewrite.

1 hour ago, icedown said:

Work has let up a little so I am back working on the rewrite.  I don't know a date right now I'm back where I can work on it for the first time in a while.

@infinite_monkey  As you might expect from a telescope with a jumbo sized set of cameras, it produces a large amount of data.  I haven't messed with Kerbalism in a really long time so I really don't know how it works now.  I'll look into it when I get to the science part of the rewrite.

my answer - add more antenna! :P many more antenna! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, 8BITDEV said:

will this work with 1.8?

it loads fine, so you can test it in the game if you'd like. Only things I noticed was a misspelling in  tele_mount.cfg for bulkheadProfiles that was bulkheadProviles and there are some instances of impactTolerance which isn't a property of parts.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Drew Kerman said:

it loads fine, so you can test it in the game if you'd like. Only things I noticed was a misspelling in  tele_mount.cfg for bulkheadProfiles that was bulkheadProviles and there are some instances of impactTolerance which isn't a property of parts.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, EnrageMango said:

Hi. I just want to know if you'll be updating or remaking this mod anytime soon. Please let me know. Thanks!

Hey everyone open up /Parts/tele_mount/parts.cfg and replace the entire code with below. This will replace the missplelled variables.

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = tele_mount
module = Part
author = Rubber Ducky

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -0.14, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0
node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.225, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = largeElectrics
entryCost = 600
cost = 300
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = CactEye Telescope Processor Mount
manufacturer = CactEye Optics
description = Used to mount a processor virtually anywhere.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.1
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 0.2
crashTolerance = 12
impactTolerance = 12
maxTemp = 2000
bulkheadProfiles = srf
tags = Cacteye contain (stor hold telescope mount processor

MODULE
{
    name = ModuleKISPartMount
    mountedPartNode = bottom
    sndStorePath = KIS/Sounds/containerMount
    allowRelease = true

MOUNT
    {
        attachNode = top
        allowedPartName= processorAsteroid1
        allowedPartName= processorAsteroid2
        allowedPartName = processorAsteroid3
        allowedPartName = processorPlanetary1
        allowedPartName = processorPlanetary2
        allowedPartName = processorPlanetary3
    }
}

}

• 4 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi,

I've messaged @icedown to see if he is still around.  If not, I'm considering adopting this and moving forward with it.

Is there any interest?

Linuxgurugamer

It looks like he was last online in May. 

I’m definitely interested in seeing you take this over.

4 hours ago, Spike88 said:

It looks like he was last online in May. 

I’m definitely interested in seeing you take this over.

I know, which is why I sent him a PM, that usually sends an email to the address associated with the account.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any outstanding issues with this, other than the typo in the file:   /Parts/tele_mount/parts.cfg

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I know, which is why I sent him a PM, that usually sends an email to the address associated with the account.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any outstanding issues with this, other than the typo in the file:   /Parts/tele_mount/parts.cfg

Without actually loading it up, I'm willing to bet the .dll needs to be re-compiled for 1.10.x, and the parts probably need drag cubes defined.

1 minute ago, Spike88 said:

Without actually loading it up, I'm willing to bet the .dll needs to be re-compiled for 1.10.x, and the parts probably need drag cubes defined.

Ummm, this isn't  my first time around the rodeo :-)

Drag cubes don't need to be defined in most cases, the game does that automatically.  But it is something I'll be looking at

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, this isn't  my first time around the rodeo :-)

Drag cubes don't need to be defined in most cases, the game does that automatically.  But it is something I'll be looking at

I'm well aware of that, I have several of your "continued" mods lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.