Play style and crash frequency?

OK well I've been wondering about this: What is your (for lack of a better word) play-style and how often is KSP crashing for you?

I'm crashing about 3 times an hour. But I have 100 concurrent flights my ships are huge and  and I switch ships about every 5 minutes. Most of the crashes happen on changing scenes (going from VAB to lauchpad, or switching ships)  and this is a career game I started in 1.05 (KAC is my only mod)

If you play the "Time-warp-through-one-mission-at-a-time" method, or are one of the people who spend all their time in the SPH making jets, or driving trains on the surface of Kerbin, then that may explain why some people are having a better experience.

How do YOU play? and how much do you crash?

I posted this in the doom thread, but I'll post it here too.

I have about 50 - 60 concurrent flights, most of which I never touch again. But anything in the "active" list gets hit several times. I don't time warp through a mission before starting another one. Some of my stuff is 750 tons at launch. I have a station at Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, have one each scheduled for Duna and Eve. I've got one long term mission that hit Moho and Eve and is almost out of fuel, stuck at Eve, and waiting for the fuel truck I sent to it.

It's crashed twice. Both times when I alt-tabbed out. Brand new game in 1.1.1

Edited by DChurchill

I do multiple missions at the same time, but in the kerbin system, it means the one probe to minmus is crossing at the same time another one is doing its minmus insertion burn, thanks to kerbal construction time.  As pertaining to crashes, it really only crashes in the VAB.  (1.1.2)

28 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

OK well I've been wondering about this: What is your (for lack of a better word) play-style and how often is KSP crashing for you?

I'm crashing about 3 times an hour. But I have 100 concurrent flights my ships are huge and  and I switch ships about every 5 minutes. Most of the crashes happen on changing scenes (going from VAB to lauchpad, or switching ships)  and this is a career game I started in 1.05 (KAC is my only mod)

If you play the "Time-warp-through-one-mission-at-a-time" method, or are one of the people who spend all their time in the SPH making jets, or driving trains on the surface of Kerbin, then that may explain why some people are having a better experience.

How do YOU play? and how much do you crash?

I have had one crash to desktop since 1.1 that occurred when staging some SRBs on a launch.  Have not had any crashes in 1.1.2 

I usually play in 1-2 hour sessions however I usually leave KSP running all day.

I have a pretty beefy new computer with 16gb of RAM  

I have probably 50-60 active flights and some really huge 200+ part multi docked ships/ bases.  I have missions active at Duna, Moho, Eve and am just starting to get things setup for a massive Jool mission.  I do not build planes (haven't even upgraded the building or the runway)

I am running a few mods (MechJeb, KAS, precise node and a few minor quality of life/visual mods). I am not running any VAB mods. MechJeb is a little finicky but I think much of that is related to the orbit bug  

I started my career save from scratch in 1.1 and currently have the tech tree completely unlocked. 

Edited by Basto
Added more info

I make a lot of new saves, new career on every new version so I know what I'm talking about with multiple concurrent missions, new sandbox save for new one-off mission, etc...  I also play heavily modded RO and RP-0 when so inclined, those are usually long-form saves with multiple concurrent missions.  I spend a lot of time in the VAB.  Little to no crashing and the occasional bug.

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I constantly make new crafts and occasionally come back to them, I have lots of crafts/debris and I fly rockets, shuttles and aircraft. My save is from .21 or earlier... Likely .20 since I didn't like the .21 update for a long time.

and game crash fq?

51 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

I switch ships about every 5 minutes. Most of the crashes happen on changing scenes (going from VAB to lauchpad, or switching ships)

I think you've self-diagnosed your problem- your switch far too often. The game isn't supposed to do that, your supposed to play out a mission for more than five minutes. Try reducing your switch frequency and actually finish one flight rather than switching upon completion- they did add the warp feature in EARLY beta for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

and game crash fq?

Like once every few months. Usually I get 2 or 3 per release, and from my POV, 1.1.2 is no more likely to crash than any other version.

18 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I think you've self-diagnosed your problem- your switch far too often. The game isn't supposed to do that, your supposed to play out a mission for more than five minutes. Try reducing your switch frequency and actually finish one flight rather than switching upon completion- they did add the warp feature in EARLY beta for a reason.

Like once every few months. Usually I get 2 or 3 per release, and from my POV, 1.1.2 is no more likely to crash than any other version.

I switch pretty frequently and don't experience crashes...

8 minutes ago, Basto said:

I switch pretty frequently and don't experience crashes...

Well it wouldn't be the sole cause of crashes, but it would be more likely to lead to them. When you experience crashes, it's best not to put the game in a position where it does.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

14 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I think you've self-diagnosed your problem- your switch far too often. The game isn't supposed to do that, your supposed to play out a mission for more than five minutes.

As often as I need to, I have orbital construction going on at Minmus and in LKO, and the deaprture  window is coming up fast. 

2 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled, haven't crashed since.

Hmmm, really? Why isn't anyone talking about this??

I'll try it as soon as I get home

Just now, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Hmmm, really? Why isn't anyone talking about this??

I'll try it as soon as I get home

YMMV. Worked for my on my specific machine and install -- thrilled if it works for anyone else, but no guarantees.

-Jn-

5 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

As often as I need to, I have orbital construction going on at Minmus and in LKO, and the deaprture  window is coming up fast. 

Still, warp rather than making a new mission. Finish each one, don't swap unless it's critical, a launch/burn window is fine, but use the map view rather than going back to the KSC to switch. This will hopefully reduce your crashing.

21 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

I updated to 1.1.2 and was crashing every few minutes, even with a new game.

-Jn-

I also did a clean install of the game with each update. Sometimes Steam leaves stuff in place that it shouldn't. 

I play with realism in mind, and I have less than 30 missions on right now, I'm also one of those '1 mission at a time type' people, and nearly 100 years has passed since I started :) I don't crash very often, but I do lag, sometimes really bad during the launch of a large rocket, or when I switch during a large mission, so I quicksave a lot.

I'm also modless, and I use very low graphics.

Thank kod for 64 bit!!!

Maybe not quite what the OP means by play style, but this seems an appropriate thread for this, rather than starting a new one...

Could part of the crashing issue be caused by how fast users click their mice?   Particularly in the editors a lot of clicking, dragging and placing things takes place.  If the player is doing this quickly enough could the computer register the second operation and try to act on it before it finishes processing the first one?  Thereby confusing or overloading it causing a crash.  I experienced similar issues with some CAD software a while ago and it occurred to me that this could partly explain why some are experiencing it more than others (they are just more nimble fingered than me).  Naturally, this issue could also be more common on lower spec or slower machines too, as their reaction times would be a bit less.

Ok,  maybe a bit of a wild theory, but those of you having these issues could perhaps try being a bit more controlled with your clicking and mouse wielding to see if helps, and post your findings of course.

Edit...  My thoughts here are that it may just uncover a possible glitch/bug somewhere that let's it happen, or an inherent by product of 'how stuff works', and it may just relieve the symptoms for some players.

Edited by pandaman

Honestly, 80% of non-Kerbin landings involve a crash landing, often multiple times. Quicksave/quickload covers a lot of sins, as does a nice thick atmosphere to use as a brake.

Suicide burns are often homicide burns when trying to eyeball it.

4 minutes ago, Skorpychan said:

Honestly, 80% of non-Kerbin landings involve a crash landing, often multiple times. Quicksave/quickload covers a lot of sins, as does a nice thick atmosphere to use as a brake.

Suicide burns are often homicide burns when trying to eyeball it.

LOL you ARE joking right?

we're discussing the the game (the computer program) crashing, producing error messages, suddenly quitting out to Windows etc. (not ships crashing).

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

2 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

LOL you ARE joking right?

we're discussing the the game (the computer program) crashing, producing error messages etc. (not ships crashing).

I thought this was discussion of playing the game, not more poodleing about it?

(Oh, hello there word filters.)

Edited by Skorpychan

this isn't  poodleing, this is constructive I'm trying to find reasons.

perhaps grasping at straw, but I'm trying to find a reason some people are having trouble and others aren't. 

I was wondering if it might be because of all the different ways ppl play this game.

31 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Maybe not quite what the OP means by play style, but this seems an appropriate thread for this, rather than starting a new one...

Could part of the crashing issue be caused by how fast users click their mice?

Exactly the kind of thing I mean.

I'm trying to think outside the box, literally, (not within the computer case) not RAM, OS, or video card, not mods, WHAT ELSE?

BTW: if we call it poodleing enough, then doesn't that become as objectionable as the original word?

(i'm poodleing about "poodleing"  :D)

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Still, warp rather than making a new mission. Finish each one, don't swap unless it's critical, a launch/burn window is fine, but use the map view rather than going back to the KSC to switch. This will hopefully reduce your crashing.

that's what I called the  "Time-warp-through-one-mission-at-a-time" method. (and you say you are having very few crashes) IMHO to play that way, the game might as well be Kerbal Space Mission.(just not how I want to play :))

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

No crashes in 1.1.2 for me so far. I've been playing a new career save, with about 20 active craft all over the system. I'm guessing that's about 20-30 hours of gameplay.

I rarely switch scenes and usually only spend at most about 15 minutes in the VAB when I build a new craft. I don't fly many craft during one gaming session, mostly just one or two, maybe four if it's a long session and I want to get a lot of things done.

The only mods I run are KER and HyperEdit.

I'm also on a Mac. 

I have about 30-40 mods installed.

At most I'll have maybe two concurrent flights: I try to keep only one up at a time.  Typical mission in within 50km of KSC, (so what I would define as 'local' missions).

I will crash maybe once or twice in a multi-hour (3+) play session, typically only crashing when entering VAB.

Overall, 8/10.  Crashes can be a bit annoying, but for the most part it's more or less just inconvenient more than anything.

Edited by Slam_Jones

2 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

I updated to 1.1.2 and was crashing every few minutes, even with a new game.

-Jn-

I backed up(!) uninstalled, reinstalled, copied my settings.cfg file and my savegame folder to the new build.

Now I won't have any news for several hours. (damn, now I have to play KSP for several hours :D)

Heavily modded - mem use around 5GB but a lot of plugins too - spend a lot of time designing craft or warping to SoI changes, crashes are extremely rare. I realised I'd left the game running actively doing things for over 9 hrs or so the other day - when I wasn't doing something I'd leave something going automatically.

I did spend a lot of time getting rid of NREs & other log warnings before I started a new game with the current build.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.