[KSP v1.1.3] Common Core Pods (v.0.6.101)

I am giving this ownership of this mod to @zer0Kerbal.

Common Core Pods

The Common Core Pod Program it's a effort to develop a modular capsule suitable to a wide range missions, using well known as established materials and building techniques with Composites and 3d Printing. Not to be confused with the incomprehensible Common Core Astronaut Training Program.

BIG Thank You to  KottabosGames for the review.

Download:

http://spacedock.info/mod/750/Common Core Pods ?ga=+3102+'kerbal+space+program'>

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/common-core-pods

Changelog:

Spoiler

v.0.6.101

• Added IVA files back

v.0.6.1

• Fixed issue with parachutes when using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. (Thanks ferram4 for helping with the solution).
  • Some parachute tweaks.
  • New nose cone for pods.

v.0.5.0

• New IVA added
  • Crew capacity increased to 5

v.0.1.62

• Changes to description and manufacturer, for all parts

v.0.1.6

• Minor cfg tweeks
  • Fixed attach nodes for Pods

v.0.1.5

• Fixed pods orientation
  • Fixed RCSthruster transform orientation and names for all pods
  • Fixed thrustTransform name for Ike and Minmus

v.0.1.1

• Parts balancing
  • Parachute added (still some problems)
  • Mk1-2 Command Pod IVA temporarily added
  • Minor parts changes
  • License File Added

LICENSE: GPL-2.0

Edited by RaptorHunterMz
Updates

21 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

Looks cool, but what is this mod and what does it do?

This is a parts mod, most of the modeling and textures is done (except for IVA). I am having problem with the parachute, once that's I will release more information, and star working on the IVAs. For now just test and report any issue should there be any.

v.0.1.1

• Parts balancing
  • Parachute added (still some problems)
  • Mk1-2 Command Pod IVA temporarily added
  • Minor parts changes
  • License File Added

Delete the first version and Physics.cfg on the KSP Folder, before updating.

Edited by RaptorHunterMz

These look awesome. I'm currently using your older pods in my career, since it's nice to have "advanced" command pods on the tech tree, with integrated RCS and engines.

The diameter is pretty awkward (and I'm not sure about the texturing on the adapters either) - it seems an odd choice when 3.75m would seem to work fine, and still fit the role as an advanced pod for mid/late game careers.

On 6/12/2016 at 10:57 PM, Joeybafoey said:

Why is this called "Common Core Pods"? lol, if I leave this in my search history my parents will go berserk.

I think because if you look at them you'll see they're all designed around a 'common core' - common interiors and form-factor, with various extras (thrusters, parachutes) attached on the outside in what's obviously a fairly modular fashion.

I recently discovered these wide-bottomed, dense pods work better with aerodynamic steering during reentry than any of the stock pods. By watching MechJeb's landing prediction and playing with the angle of the pod during reentry, I can land these suckers within a few hundred meters of my target every time. These are definitely the right pods for practicing that technique.

Suggestion: Offer a choice of two heat-shields: one that is lightweight and can be jettisoned, and the other being a bit heavier and not allow jettisoning, but boasts slightly more ablator, AND integrated retractable landing-feet, a-la the SpaceX Dragon v2 capsule's heat-shield with landing-gear.

Edited by StevieC
Clarifying the suggestion

On 6/26/2016 at 8:27 PM, StevieC said:

Suggestion: Offer a choice of two heat-shields: one that is lightweight and can be jettisoned, and the other being a bit heavier and not allow jettisoning, but boasts slightly more ablator, AND integrated retractable landing-feet, a-la the SpaceX Dragon v2 capsule's heat-shield with landing-gear.

Animating multiple landing legs on ksp is a nightmare in KSP, and right now I am concentrating on the IVA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.