Brainlord Mesomorph

The "What is your Avatar" Thread.

Recommended Posts

A delightful panda bear!  Because who can be mad at something that cute? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thing that I made for Rimiya (Rimia), a fictional nation that I created for NationStates.

Edited by CelticCossack51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, monstah said:

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

Was kind of wondering that myself... and yeah, that doesn't help.  I see your avatar and all I can think of is, wa.

75px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_WA.pn

Anyway, as for mine... it's a portrait of the real life critter that's the closest thing to a space alien on Earth, as far as I'm concerned... and kinda cute, too.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, I honestly thought someone would get the reference :)

The Yellow Sign was created by a writer named Chambers in the 1890's for his collection of short weird horror stories entitled 'The King in Yellow'. The symbol wasn't drawn or described objectively in the book, at best it was "a curious symbol or letter in gold. It was neither Arabic or Chinese, nor as I found afterwards did it belong to any human script" . Lovecraft borrowed a lot from these tales, and they inspired the supernatural cult/killer from True Detective season 1.

I had this 'scribble' as part of a drawing once, before I had even read Chambers and possibly Lovecraft. Revisiting old drawings of mine and I felt drawn to what I thought of as 'my' yellow sign (there is a fairly standard form of it from the 80's RPG, but I was never much into that one).

 

edit - https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow  it's in free domain, but it's a strange reading :wink:

Edited by monstah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, a kerbal on EVA. 

I change mine all the time, usually something corresponding to missions I'm currently doing or have completed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, monstah said:

Heh, I honestly thought someone would get the reference

I got it.  I was wondering why it didn't match the one I was used to, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alucard, the main character from all the Hellsing stuff, the picture in my avatar is from Hellsing Ultimate, the OVA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's a little drawing I made of a kerbal on Eve, while trying to come to grasps with pen pressure in my bamboo tablet. Also the first kerbal I ever drew. The full drawing is here:

Spoiler

imkIAGT.png

 

Edited by Pine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My avatar is simply a stretch of the flag I use for The United Republic of Kerbin. Even had a storyline on the old forum about the meaning of the flag, et al.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andem said:

Mine is a hand-pixelated (In MS Paint!) Psychology Weekly cover. Yes, the guy is screaming. Big whoop.

I thought that was Hitler dying at the end of Wolfenstein 3D.

Mine is my favorite comedian, sourced from Google Images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is pretty easy to figure out. :rolleyes: WHOOO DRES!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Archgeek said:

The XenonTempest Mk1, my then-best attempt at a very-high-delta-v crewed vehicle:

  Reveal hidden contents

Seen here with the poodle'd kicker stage intact:

screenshot52.png

 near perihelion on a sundiving venture with her sails furled:

screenshot65.png

How close did you get? I got to 142373k before my ship went poof ... but I did manage to transmit science before it did. No Kerbals harmed - unmanned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

How close did you get? I got to 142373k before my ship went poof ... but I did manage to transmit science before it did. No Kerbals harmed - unmanned.

Somewhere around 260800k, it turns out.  I'd spent only ~5.3km/s on my sunward burn, as I'd misread just how far down you could safely go.  I'd thought it was 1300m out, which it was, back in .235, but I'd read the PE as distance from the sun's centre, not its surface, so I aimed for a bit over one solar radius out from it, when I'd wanted 1300m from the surface.  Bringing back poor Alman's a major impetus for my Project Bring'em Home shenanigans.

Did you get atmospheric analysis?  I hear it has one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is from the KSP Asteroid Redirect Mission promo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My flag and avatar from the previous forums that seems to be horizontally shrunken.
Gotta fix that someday...

Edited by T-Bouw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Somewhere around 260800k, it turns out.  I'd spent only ~5.3km/s on my sunward burn, as I'd misread just how far down you could safely go.  I'd thought it was 1300m out, which it was, back in .235, but I'd read the PE as distance from the sun's centre, not its surface, so I aimed for a bit over one solar radius out from it, when I'd wanted 1300m from the surface.  Bringing back poor Alman's a major impetus for my Project Bring'em Home shenanigans.

Did you get atmospheric analysis?  I hear it has one.

I honestly don't recall, this was done in v1.0.4; But the craft did have every science experiment onboard, so it was likely. It was a suicide dive, with an ablator umbrella on the front ... not that it helped much.
 

Spoiler

yhz9qeL.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has inspired me to change mine for the first time in about 4 years. But, do I need to spell it out?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

My avatar is simply a stretch of the flag I use for The United Republic of Kerbin. Even had a storyline on the old forum about the meaning of the flag, et al.

I like that one a lot. Simple, pretty, reminds me slightly of my city's flag.

13 hours ago, razark said:

I got it.  I was wondering why it didn't match the one I was used to, though.

Cause the one you're used to is popular, but there is no 'official' one :wink:

14 hours ago, Snark said:

Was kind of wondering that myself... and yeah, that doesn't help.  I see your avatar and all I can think of is, wa75px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_WA.pn

Hey, that's a cool-looking kana! I wish it had a meaning, tho (or at least one on wikipedia).

14 hours ago, Snark said:

Anyway, as for mine... it's a portrait of the real life critter that's the closest thing to a space alien on Earth, as far as I'm concerned... and kinda cute, too.  :)

Tardigrades are among the coolest things on this plannet.

42 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

This thread has inspired me to change mine for the first time in about 4 years. But, do I need to spell it out?

Lookin' awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, monstah said:

Cause the one you're used to is popular, but there is no 'official' one

Much like the Elder Sign.

I'm not as familiar with the Yellow Sign, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, monstah said:

Hey, that's a cool-looking kana! I wish it had a meaning, tho (or at least one on wikipedia).

Alas, kana are just phonetic-- by definition they don't have any meaning in isolation, they're just sounds.  Plenty of kanji out there, though, which do have meaning, that have that pronunciation, if you want to dig one up.  When you've got a language that only has about four dozen possible syllables in it, you end up with a whole lotta homonyms.  :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine's a Vault-Boy on a rocket. Wich is an icon for a quest (and achievement) in Fallout New Vegas, about helping ghouls repair and refuel some rockets, and lauching them to space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, monstah said:

Heh, I honestly thought someone would get the reference :)

The Yellow Sign was created by a writer named Chambers in the 1890's for his collection of short weird horror stories entitled 'The King in Yellow'. The symbol wasn't drawn or described objectively in the book, at best it was "a curious symbol or letter in gold. It was neither Arabic or Chinese, nor as I found afterwards did it belong to any human script" . Lovecraft borrowed a lot from these tales, and they inspired the supernatural cult/killer from True Detective season 1.

I had this 'scribble' as part of a drawing once, before I had even read Chambers and possibly Lovecraft. Revisiting old drawings of mine and I felt drawn to what I thought of as 'my' yellow sign (there is a fairly standard form of it from the 80's RPG, but I was never much into that one).

 

edit - https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow  it's in free domain, but it's a strange reading :wink:

All my likes for knowing who RW Chambers is. And yes, we should all be reading The King in Yellow. *insane tittering*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, razark said:

Much like the Elder Sign.

I'm not as familiar with the Yellow Sign, though.

Can't seem to find my references, but I'm pretty sure HPL himself either drew or described it once as "a line with five smaller lines branching off of it", or something like that.

4 hours ago, Snark said:

Alas, kana are just phonetic-- by definition they don't have any meaning in isolation, they're just sounds.  Plenty of kanji out there, though, which do have meaning, that have that pronunciation, if you want to dig one up.  When you've got a language that only has about four dozen possible syllables in it, you end up with a whole lotta homonyms.  :wink:

I'm only slightly familiar with japanese (my father had classes way back then), I knew about the different alphabets and kanji having meanings and kanas being sillabes, but for some reason I thought of them as having some lesser meaning, too. Kinda like Celtic runes (with which I'm only slightly familiar, too). Thanks for the new info :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now