Adware/Malware assistance

r4pt0r

Well certain words and phrases are being highlighted by my browser and turned into ads.
Here is an image: 0thYfJu.png

This is standard Chrome by the way. The internet said to delete any chrome extensions I am unfamiliar with, and I have but the problem is unresolved. Any suggestions?

This is malware.... I had it as well, not sure of the name... but the solution is simple... *IF* I could remember the name of the malware.

From memory, I downloaded something and I actually agreed to these adverts... Google told me that the company, in South Africa or some such place, had a very VERY bad reputation. I actually sent them a very very nasty Email full of abuse and its sad to see they haven't actually been shut down yet.

Sorry I cannot be more help...

Someone clicked on something they shouldn't...

2 hours ago, 11of10 said:

Try to install Malwarebytes Antimalware. It could help.

+1

Best antimalware I have used, I have the paid version, but the free trial is almost as powerful, if not entirely so.

You can tell its good because unlike other "anti"malware it doesn't dig itself into the undergrowth of your computer, running in the background unable to be stopped whilst it fires updates and poppups at you....weird how most "anti"malware shares a lot of properties with....malware. You ever tried to turn off McAffee?

What browser extensions and plugins do you have? That sure seems like the behavior of one, since it's actibg within Chrome.

I hate to say to google each one you have listed in case the extension hijacks your search, but I've had good success removing stuff like that by hand before by googling the extension names and finding removal instructions. It helps that I run very few extensions on Firefox and there's a "purge all add-ons" feature.

You may need to remove something from your installed programs as well, to prevent it from reinstalling the add-ons.

If you are on Windows 10, then My only suggestion is that you refresh your PC. When this happened to me, I found a weird program that I couldn't uninstall, so I refreshed. Refreshing it leaves all of your files, but uninstalls the majority of programs, including Microsoft Office, so be careful.

Does it also happens on other browsers? If it doesn't, it's probably something within your Google Chrome. Maybe an extension. Try reinstalling it if that's the case.

12 hours ago, Camacha said:

Run AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes. Be sure to get them from reliable sources and scan them over at Jotti's if you are not sure.

Yeah, AdwCleaner is probably the program you want to start with. There is also the Chrome Cleanup Tool, if that doesn't work.

15 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

I've seen this, but it only occurs on some websites I visit (TomsHardware is one). Could websites enable it?

No. Even though you might see it in some sites and not in others, your system is infected with something that is also there when you do not see it. You need to disinfect your system.

I have Flash disabled by default in chrome and I only enable it on a case by case basis. This stops a lot of stuff but it is a pain sometimes. For example, if you have to apply to a job posting online and you get sent to several different webs sites as a part of the application process. 

Other than that I use MS Windows Defender and try to be careful about clicking on stuff. And if I get something, I run the free Malwarebytes.

On 09/06/2016 at 10:29 PM, Robotengineer said:

I've seen this, but it only occurs on some websites I visit (TomsHardware is one). Could websites enable it?

Some websites run ads using the same concept - allowing the adverts to link themselves to chosen words in the text.

But if you get it on sites that you know don't run that kind of ad, then you know the web page is being tampered with. Usually by malware on your PC, but it could also be done on the network you're connected to. Internet service providers have done similar things in the past, tampering with web pages in transit to replace the original ads with their own, an action that is highly likely to be criminal in many jurisdictions. "Free Wifi" in coffee shops, hotels, and so on could very easily do such a thing and a lot of other attacks on you too.

Edited by cantab

20 hours ago, cantab said:

"Free Wifi" in coffee shops, hotels, and so on could very easily do such a thing and a lot of other attacks on you too.

Of course, anyone using public networks is wise enough to also use a VPN, right? Right? :P

Ummm, further to my original comment, malwarebytes and spydoctor are... USELESS .... repeat, USELESS against this malware.

The fix DOES include those as well, but you have to manually do things as well.....

Try these...

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/937969

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.