[1.2.2] SSTU Nova Add-on Pack - An expansion for SSTU (19/12/2016)

JoseEduardo

E3QXv7H.png
This pack is an optional add-on for the SSTU mod (here) that adds a new maximum diameter for SSTU procedural and semi-procedural parts up to 20m, new engine cluster layouts from 10 engine up to 19 61 engines for all SSTU engines (the one above has 18x F-1 engines) and a M-1 engine (modified J-2 model).

This only includes config files, no other assets are included
This pack works with Realism Overhaul, except for the M-1 engine (RO has it's own SSTU M-1).

Dependencies:
SSTU
Module Manager (comes with SSTU)

None are included with this pack and must be downloaded separately.

SpaceDock Download
GitHub Release
GitHub Repo

nm7LRBV.png

Changelog:

Spoiler

19/12/2016 - v1.3: Updated for 1.2.2 and latest SSTU release, Removed the M-1, Mainsail and Bobcat's Soviet Engines. (they have been moved to the SSTU Expansion Pack)

11/07/2016 - v1.2: Fixed the engines to work with the latest version of the Soviet Engines mod and added even more engine cluster layouts

11/07/2016 - v1.1: Added SSTU Cluster support for Bobcat's NK-33, NK-43, RD-0120, RD-0146, RD-171, RD-180 and RD-191, for Stock's Mainsail and added new 19, 20, 21 (2x), 22 (2x), 23 (2x), 24 (3x), 25, 26 (4x), 27, 30, 34, 38 and 61 engine layouts for N-1 engine layout and new levels of insanity

Q&A:
Q: Why didn't you include another pic other than the logo and the one lifting off?
A: Because I don't think it is necessary to post pictures of 25 engine layout options or showing off the diameters.

Q: Do I really need SSTU to use this?
A: I guess the name of the pack has something to do with that mod... but that's just a wild guess of course.

Q: Now seriously, why do I need SSTU?
A: To have access to the engines, tanks and procedural parts and the most important of all, the plugin.

Q: What exactly does this add?
A: A few config files that allow you to make a engine cluster of up to 19 engines, and also increase the max diameter of the SSTU mod to 20m just to be sure.

Q: 20m diameter? is this for RO?
A: Nope, stock.

Q: Why would I use 19 engines?
A: Ask Nasa or the Russians.

Q: Were these real or someone made them up on Kerbal and pretended it was real?
A: I ask myself the same question sometimes, but they were real projects, N1 even "flew".

Q: Why you made this?
A: Because Kerbal, and reasons.

Q: Why isn't this included in the SSTU release?
A: Because we both agreed it would be worth a separate (and optional) release, especially due to the scale it adds.

Q: What's the diameter of the rocket in the logo?
A: 12.5m.

Q: Then why 20m? Do you think that will be needed?
A: Nope, that's why I set it to 20m, to give enough freedom.

Q: What if I want to go full kerbal and make a 50m wide rocket?
A: Then edit the MaxSize.cfg file in the Data folder, replace every 20 you see for 50 or whatever you want.

Q: Will you or Shadowmage be responsible if I mess something up and probably invoke the kraken while editing anything in this pack?
A: Nope, warranty void if you do.

Q: But, But...
A: No.

Q: Can I bug Shadowmage because something is wrong with this add-on?
A: Definitively nope. If it's an issue caused by my add-on then post here so I can fix it.

Q: Do you realize the name of the pack can be abbreviated to SNAP?
A: Yep, I noticed that after I thought of the name, I think it fits well with the main purpose of this pack.

Q: 61 engines? I think you finally lost your mind.
A: Not yet, I haven't registered as a PT voter nor am I interested in joining the party.

Q: Are you sure?
A: Yep, I still have some sanity left.

Q: Will you add new layouts?
A: Yep, but I don't plan on expanding further from 61.

Q: I think you might need a doctor.
A: Agreed.

Q: So, I don't want all these layouts, can you delete them?
A: Nope, but you can, they are located inside the SSTU-NovaPack\Data\EngineLayouts folder, all you need to do is delete the ones you don't want. I agree that there are too many layouts, but please, be sure to only delete them if you know what you are doing, I'm not responsible if anyone gets stuck in a fan.

License: GNU General Public License (GPL) 3.0

Edited by JoseEduardo

well, the real one was intended to carry 400 ton to LEO, that should be enough to put a pure gold A380 in orbit with low fuel on board :P

the extension in the limit is to give enough freedom, as most engines won't need anything over 10m (the 19x RS-25 cluster needed 7.5m IIRC, less than the first stage of a kerbalized Nova C-8 or N-1)

Affirmative, the one in the logo is supposed to be a MM-1C alike :)

I even mentioned it in one of the "Q&A" :P

I'll retain the name even if I add the N1 24 and 30 engine cluster and new engine patches, mainly because I like the Nova MM-1B/C :P

Edited by JoseEduardo

18 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

Affirmative, the one in the logo is supposed to be a MM-1C alike :)

I even mentioned it in one of the "Q&A" :P

I'll retain the name even if I add the N1 24 and 30 engine cluster and new engine patches, mainly because I like the Nova MM-1B/C :P

Nothing wrong with that lol. I like the abbreviation.

Anyway you could increase the engine cluster count to 30? I would like to make the MM-S10R/E-1

Just thought I would pop in to add that I fully endorse this add-on pack and @JoseEduardo 's work.

Thanks Jose, and I hope that others will put these configs / layouts to good use :)

Edit:  Oh, and I finally found the time to add a link to here from the SSTU main post -,-

Edited by Shadowmage

• 3 weeks later...

New version available at Spacedock

Changelog (v1.1):

Added SSTU Cluster support for Bobcat's NK-33, NK-43, RD-0120, RD-0146, RD-171, RD-180 and RD-191, for Stock's Mainsail and added new 19, 20, 21 (2x), 22 (2x), 23 (2x), 24 (3x), 25, 26 (4x), 27, 30, 34, 38 and 61 engine layouts for N-1 engine layout and new levels of insanity

Ok, so I just found out that people (including dragon01) have updated the soviet pack, I have these engines from the "latest" release, back in december 2014, and as a result I included a fix for the nodes in the patches AND the model path is set to BobCatind/Sovietengines/, so if you happen to download the engines from the Dragon's release for 1.1.2 (here), you'll need to create a BobCatind folder in the GameData folder and extract the pack inside that folder to match the path in order to get the patches working

1 hour ago, The-Bean said:

Ah, even larger rockets, thank you! Love the idea of additional engine cluster support too.

why cluster a lot of 3.75m boosters if you can make one huge 20m rocket and have the same output? :P

1 minute ago, JoseEduardo said:

Ok, so I just found out that people (including dragon01) have updated the soviet pack, I have these engines from the "latest" release, back in december 2014, and as a result I included a fix for the nodes in the patches AND the model path is set to BobCatind/Sovietengines/, so if you happen to download the engines from the Dragon's release for 1.1.2 (here), you'll need to create a BobCatind folder in the GameData folder and extract the pack inside that folder to match the path in order to get the patches working

why cluster a lot of 3.75m boosters if you can make one huge 20m rocket and have the same output? :P

so it should be BobCatind/Sovietengines/Parts,Flags, and the other stuff you would find in a folder within the gamedata folder?

no, it should be BobCatind/Sovietengines/ and then a individual folder for each engine, like BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK33, BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0120

just make a BobCatind folder and unzip the spacedock file in it, that's the easiest way

I'll update these patches in order to match that spacedock file, so this shouldn't be an issue in the next release (which will come with even more layouts, something around 20 new layouts :P I might need to make a separate file for the layouts over 21 engines, and leave the main one up to 20 engines+N1 24 and 30 engines)

Edited by JoseEduardo

3 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

no, it should be BobCatind/Sovietengines/ and then a individual folder for each engine, like BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK33, BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0120

just make a BobCatind folder and unzip the spacedock file in it, that's the easiest way

I'll update these patches in order to match that spacedock file, so this shouldn't be an issue in the next release (which will come with even more layouts, something around 20 new layouts :P I might need to make a separate file for the layouts over 21 engines, and leave the main one up to 20 engines+N1 24 and 30 engines)

wait, didnt you post a github too the soviet engines pack somewhere though? it had a zip with a folder called SovietPack, and it has Parts, Flags, and other sub-folders?

yeah, that one is in Bobcat's thread and I didn't check it... I'll change the link to Bobcat's thread instead, sorry about the mess

Once I update to Dragon's release I'll use the link to his release instead

Edited by JoseEduardo

12 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

yeah, that one is in Bobcat's thread and I didn't check it... I'll change the link to Bobcat's thread instead, sorry about the mess

Once I update to Dragon's release I'll use the link to his release instead

so i should use the github or the spacedock version?

1 hour ago, JoseEduardo said:

you'll need to create a BobCatind folder in the GameData folder and extract the pack inside that folder to match the path in order to get the patches working

Wouldn't the 'model = Sovietengines/????/model' set in the DECQ/Dragon01 version configs cause a bit of an issue once they are moved into the BobCatind directory?  Unless I'm mistaken it needs a temporary patch until you update to the DECQ/Dragon01 verions - something along the lines of this I would think.  Unless I'm misreading your patch I think this will still be necessary but I have not started the game up since I grabbed your Nova pack so I'm not entirely sure.  If it is needed...well...at least it's done.  If not, it took all of 5 minutes to write this and I was bored anyway. :P 

Spoiler

@PART[NK33_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK33/
}

@PART[NK43_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK43/
}

@PART[RD0120_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0120/
}

@PART[RD0124_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0124/
}

@PART[RD0146_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0146/
}

@PART[RD171_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD171/
}

@PART[RD180_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0180/
}

@PART[RD191_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD191/
}

Edited by rasta013

28 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Wouldn't the 'model = Sovietengines/????/model' set in the DECQ/Dragon01 version configs cause a bit of an issue once they are moved into the BobCatind directory?  Unless I'm mistaken it needs a temporary patch until you update to the DECQ/Dragon01 verions - something along the lines of this I would think.  Unless I'm misreading your patch I think this will still be necessary but I have not started the game up since I grabbed your Nova pack so I'm not entirely sure.  If it is needed...well...at least it's done.  If not, it took all of 5 minutes to write this and I was bored anyway. :P 

Hide contents

@PART[NK33_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK33/
}

@PART[NK43_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK43/
}

@PART[RD0120_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0120/
}

@PART[RD0124_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0124/
}

@PART[RD0146_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0146/
}

@PART[RD171_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD171/
}

@PART[RD180_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD0180/
}

@PART[RD191_StockVersion]
{
    @model = BobCatind/Sovietengines/RD191/
}

fak.... just opened the file and noticed it... I've set the patch to delete mesh, but not the MODEL node (of course, I didn't know there was a updated version in the first place...), I need to remove the MODEL and replace it with a empty proxy model in order to get the clustering solved

I'll get 1.2 up later today or early tomorrow with those fixed and a few new layouts....

EDIT: now that I'm working in fixing these I noticed that they wouldn't work even if I wanted to... the names are different...

it'd have been easier if I had pointed towards the old mediafire download.....

Edited by JoseEduardo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.