[1.2.2] SSTU Nova Add-on Pack - An expansion for SSTU (19/12/2016)

JoseEduardo

• 1 month later...

José, I was messing with this add-on this morning (trying for a SSTO in k64 :) ), and Eventually I got an unresponsive VAB, and it the log has a bunch of null refs. One example:

[EXC 10:40:32.769] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	EditorLogic.<SetupFSM>m__E7 ()
	KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM ()
	EditorLogic.Update ()

I got several others. I just removed SNAoP, and got no nullrefs.

I can try again later (have a bunch of family stuff the rest of the day).

I used a tank, a fairing, and the M1 engines. Honestly cannot remember which tank. 

Also, getting the fairings to properly separate was difficult. They'd deploy, but the force seems designed for sane rockets :) . If anything even bumped them, BOOM. Perhaps force should scale with size?

...................................................fairing?.........................................

.................oh.... yeah.... SSTU has fairings... I.... um... I forgot them....

I ah... I made a patch that comes by default with SSTU that replaces them for procedural fairings mod and I totally forgot that they existed........

that's probably the issue, I haven't tested SSTU fairings under gigantic scales, but based on past RO experience that shouldn't end too well since they are scaled towards stock scale, and IIRC they needed their mass and other stuff adjusted for RO to be lighter... same went for the tanks but they worked great with the extra scale and didn't need a tweak....

Hey, I posted a generic thread on this, but figured there might be a place for it here, somehow...

douglas_rombus_by_william_black-d7semu3.

(This image if from William Black's deviantart page. Wow. Great stuff to look at: http://william-black.deviantart.com )

Note the payload to LEO. 450 mt. :D

The core stage returns via chutes and propulsion. We now know that perhaps the cutes are not even needed, but this design is from 1963, after all.

The plug nozzle engine is really the only missing part. It is an aerospike, basically, though Bono suggested actuively cooling the whole thing to function as a heat shield. In my propulsive EDL designs, I find that I am pretty much forced to run the engines a lot or they explode... Which is fine, I just have to leave more dv in the tanks.

36 engines in one circle? I think that can be made...

the only issue here is that I could decide to increase the max engine cluster to 97.....

imagine 97 F-1B........

would kerbin even exist after taking off?

actually, would there still be life on Earth after such thing taking off?

so, I went and made a quick math, the F-1B is supposed to have around 8MN thrust, and 97 of them would deliver 776MN thrust...

that converted to Kilotonnes is 79.13, so the thrust of that thing would be 5.2753x times more powerful than the Fat Boy bomb...

but would still be weaker than the Tsar Bomba, which had a blast yeld of 50 megatons, which translates into 490332.5MN, or 61292 F-1B engines...

we either need a more powerful engine to be clustered or make a cluster that big in order to build our death star prototype in KSP :)

20 minutes ago, blowfish said:

An aerospike is more than just a bunch of engines angled inward anyway.  The aerospike centerbody changes the performance significantly.

Yeah, exactly, which is the point of the construction. Made me wonder if the clustering methodology could work, as SSTU seems to treat it as a single unit. Ie: you create a new cluster type that includes the "plug," and that engine type then gets unique performance stats. I have no idea if such a thing is possible, however. Alternately, a single plug engine part. The nice thing about SSTU though, would be the ability to customize the size, however.

I could try to create the ring and the plug (out of an adapter already in the SSTU assets), but in the end it will just look like an aerospike, but not act as one, it would act just like a regular engine

I believe such type of engine needs to have a dedicated part to it and I'm 99% sure that it would also need a dedicated plugin

I don't think you can just plop any old engines around a spike and have it work well as an aerospike.  Really you'd want the individual nozzles to be slightly underexpanded even at sea level, whereas even most lifter engines are slightly overexpanded at sea level.  You'd also need a way to keep the spike cool, probably by extending the engines' regenerative cooling systems into it.

• 3 months later...

Version 1.3 is up, now available through Github and Spacedock

Changelog:

Spoiler

19/12/2016 - v1.3: Updated for 1.2.2 and latest SSTU release, Removed the M-1, Mainsail and Bobcat's Soviet Engines. (they have been moved to the SSTU Expansion Pack)

• 5 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 0:43 PM, JoseEduardo said:

Version 1.3 is up, now available through Github and Spacedock

Changelog:

Hide contents

19/12/2016 - v1.3: Updated for 1.2.2 and latest SSTU release, Removed the M-1, Mainsail and Bobcat's Soviet Engines. (they have been moved to the SSTU Expansion Pack)

You should update the OP to show 1.2.2 compatibility.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.