Looking for a new computer for university. Can anyone help?

Dman979

Hi All,

I recently had to return the computer I used for school over the past 4 years. It's time to upgrade to a new system. But what kind of system? Mac, Linux, or PC? Laptop or desktop? More or less cowbell?

The last time I looked for a computer was in 10th grade. I was looking for a gaming desktop, but that's not my focus right now.

I would expect that I will use it for word processing, MATLAB, some gaming, social media, etc. Nothing too taxing, I think.

Let's start with the basics. Which will suit me better: a laptop or a desktop?

Second: I hate Windows 10. Yes, it's a good operating system, blah blah blah, but it has too many privacy issues for me, and I don't like how Microsoft was shoving it down my parents' and my throats.

With that in mind, can we get a discussion started?

Mods: Yes, I understand that this could potentially go in the Computer Megathread. I'd like to be able to access any information a bit more easily, though, and I think it could derail the topic of the Megathread.

Go Mac. If you need other Windows or Linux you can dual/tri boot. I would go with a Macbook Pro (if it fits on your budget). How mobile do you want it to be? You may also what sort of computer labs the uni you're attending has. I know the uni I'm taking classes at has computers pretty much everywhere in the library and in the student union that do most of the things a student needs. 

1 minute ago, Robotengineer said:

Go Mac. If you need other Windows or Linux you can dual/tri boot. I would go with a Macbook Pro (if it fits on your budget).

I'm not opposed to Mac, but I am curious as to your reasons for suggesting it. Is there a particular spot where it shines?

Ooh, yeah, budget. That's a biggie. Let's say, oh, ~$500 USD?

Just now, Dman979 said:

I'm not opposed to Mac, but I am curious as to your reasons for suggesting it. Is there a particular spot where it shines?

Ooh, yeah, budget. That's a biggie. Let's say, oh, ~$500 USD?

The OS is good, the design is fantastic, and it should last you a good 4-5 years if you aren't worried about keeping up with the latest tech. My family has two (one early 2011, one early 2015) and while the 2011 is running a bit slow lately it still works for my dad, and the 2015 is really nice when I get to use it. 

Though I think Macbooks are probably out of your budget. There is the Mac mini, and also used equipment that might be in your budget. I try to avoid using Windows machines and generally have bad experiences with them. I don't know how much $500 will get you laptop or PC wise, but I can't imagine it being much. You might want to see about student discounts and using scholarship money to help get a better machine. 

If you don't mind me asking, what's your current setup? 

If you're a student I'd have thought a laptop makes more sense than a desktop, the ability to use it in class or rounds mates houses outweighs the less processing speed you'll get for your money.

As for OS what do you want to run on it?  You mention MATLAB, does your school provide licenses, are they for specific OS's?  Is there any other software that you might want to run that might be limited by operation choice?

I understand why a lot of people don't like Win10 because of some of the reporting it does, but you can deactivate all that when you install it, and I believe OSX does some similar tracking.

Surely you aren't going to get much Mac for $500?

I had a laptop for uni, and apart from being able to take it home for the holidays and watching movies on the train, the portability wasn't all that much use - there wasn't much need to take it to different people houses at all, you tend to end up living with the people you want to hang out with. I'd go for the more economical-in-terms-of-hardware desktop option.

You might not like windows 10, but unless you go Mac or Linux, you will need it to support the latest hardware - remember you might want to upgrade the machine in the future (if its a desktop that is, you dont have many upgrade options with a laptop, another thing to think about).

My recommendation FWIW - 

Get a cheap-as-chips desktop PC with a decent monitor (for watching movies with your new uni mates). It will do all your matlabbing, social mediaing and word processing easy as pie.

Upgrade hardware as and when possible/necessary (For gaming, natch)

Just live with Windows 10, you'll survive :wink: 

If you just *cant* stomach windows, go Linux, it'll be harder to play games, but that isn't a priority and you can still KSP!

Honestly, Windows will be much more stress-free. I'm not even that big of a fan of microsoft, but I gotta admit windows works for me, as far as these things go. And Im even less of a fan of apple - you think MS pushes products on you/harvests data?

Also, have fun at uni, you learn more stuff than they teach you in lectures! Try and be impervious to relationship drama!

If I were you, I'd go with a Surface Pro 4

surface-pro-4-with-type-cover.jpg?itok=j

You can jot notes with the amazing pen, use it as a tablet and have a powerful laptop under the hood. It doesn't have a dedicated GPU, but the 6th gen Skylake processor and the integrated graphics can easily run demanding applications and even run AAA games like GTA V at low settings. KSP works like a charm at max settings.

In terms of specs and design, it beats the MacBook Air(weight, screen resolution and features).

If a MacBook was a number 1 choice 5 years ago, now it would be a Surface.

I'd suggest getting AT LEAST the core i5 4gb RAM 128GB SSD model, as it is best value for money and vastly more powerful

than the m3 model with a 100$ difference.

If you want a nice monitor in your dorm room, get one later and just plug the Surface in when you need to.

Regarding Windows 10 - it works best on a Surface, they have done a good job the last few months fixing bugs and such. You can easily deactivate any sort of tracking if you wish to. Just remember - everyone collects data about you - all of your social media website, Google searches etc.

Edited by SpaceXray

If you want to do real work on your computer dont buy a Mac. I still remember my mate who needed weeks to get our CAD software running on the Mac with support from half the IT staff at our university. Macs are great for facebook and such things...

19 minutes ago, Elthy said:

If you want to do real work on your computer dont buy a Mac. I still remember my mate who needed weeks to get our CAD software running on the Mac with support from half the IT staff at our university. Macs are great for facebook and such things...

IMO ONLY - Macs have always been the choice for those who [have big wallets and...] are less computer "savvy", ie: their best feature is usability, but you pay through the nose for it (both in terms of cost and software availability/compatibility). 

57 minutes ago, SpaceXray said:

Microsoft surface etc.

My other half just got one of these from work, and it is realllly nice. The screen is excellent, and the keyboard works really well.

Could you run KSP on it though...I don't see why not? RAM might be a problem...

13 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

IMO ONLY - Macs have always been the choice for those who [have big wallets and...] are less computer "savvy", ie: their best feature is usability, but you pay through the nose for it (both in terms of cost and software availability/compatibility). 

My other half just got one of these from work, and it is realllly nice. The screen is excellent, and the keyboard works really well.

Could you run KSP on it though...I don't see why not? RAM might be a problem...

You definitely can. KSP 64-bit is well optimized now, and the 6th gen i5 is up for the task. Even 4GB is plenty for a single game, especially since the SP4 and Surface book use DDR5 high-speed RAM. If you have a bigger wallet and very high demand for video performance, you can get the i7 version with Iris Pro graphics, though the ones that come with the i5 one are sufficient for KSP(e.g. max settings with a few mods and 700+ part ships).

Regarding a MacBook, a MacBook Pro is the only remaining Apple laptop worth buying. But now, I can no longer recommend a Mac when I know there are way better laptops out there now with better specs and more features (paying over 1000$ for a laptop that doesn't even have a touchscreen is ridiculous in my mind).

Edited by SpaceXray

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

That is most definitely your opinion.  I don't have a big wallet first of all, and I am much more tech savvy than the majority of the people I know.  (As in people I know in person)

Back to the original topic, @Dman979, a Mac is probably out of your budget, so I'm going to make the unusual suggestion of considering the surface or whatever floats your boat in that field.  Just make sure to do the research and be sure it can fit your needs.  For Windows 10, you're pretty much out of luck.  Just about all new computers are going to come with it unfortunately.  I will say, however, that there are some workarounds with it.

Do you need or want to take it into lectures and other classes? If you do, well it's gotta be a laptop. If you don't, a reasonably compact desktop will offer better performance and flexibility for your money. Transporting it between home and college a few times a year shouldn't be a problem by train, coach, or car. (If you have to fly, you might want a laptop to keep the weight down). A desktop will also be significantly cheaper to repair if it breaks and the costs aren't covered by warranty or insurance. If you don't know, find out what other people in the courses do and what the professors expect.

If you really want to run OSX, buy a Mac. If you don't, don't. Personally as an experienced Windows and Linux user, last time I tried OSX I found it hard to use. I'm also ideologically opposed to the way Apple locks down iOS, and while OSX is more open I'm still put off buying Apple stuff.

Windows 10 Pro includes "downgrade rights", permitting you to install Windows 7 or 8.1 Pro at no extra cost. If your new PC ships with Windows 10 non-pro, you will need to buy Windows 7 separately if you want to use that. You might well feel it's worth sucking up the cost.

For laptops, model-specific reviews in a reputable print or online publication are worth having. Specs only go so far, and in particular screen quality, battery life, and adequacy of cooling can only be judged by reviews. And user reviews on shopping websites don't mean poop, most people are clueless. For desktops components tend to be more standard and there are fewer pitfalls, it's hard to make a standard sized desktop PC with atrocious cooling for example, so you can reasonably judge based on comprehensive specs.

If your accommodation has ethernet ports, try and get a PC that has ethernet (most do, but some laptops don't), it'll be much better than dealing with wireless in crowded student halls of residence.

Whatever you get, get something with an SSD, seriously. Mechanical hard drives cripple the everyday responsiveness of even basic PCs nowadays, but they're depressingly common in cheap laptops and desktops still.

If running Windows, install a good antivirus. Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are poop.

I heavily recommend building your own with Windows or Linux. It's cheaper for the same performance, and you can get it built for you for under $100. Laptop building is hard, though. If you need a laptop buy a new Macbook, those are great.

What you get depends on what you need it to do and when you need to do it.  You've got lots of options suggested above.

As your budget is somewhat low, you might consider:

For a not too portable but having a small footprint/ configuration, consider the Mac Mini.  It sounds like you might have existing peripherals which still work, such as keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, etc.  If so, the Mac Mini is good because you can still use your peripherals.  As for OS, you'll have OS X and if you need more, you can partition the drive and add Linux for free and you can add the version of Windows you want for the prevailing price.  If you don't want a space saving Mini, then get a cheap Windows PC box/ tower and use your peripherals with that.

If you need portability, you should consider either a decent pad or a PC notebook (Windows).

You do get what you pay for, meaning that you may not be happy with a cheap low end rig.  But if quality is way beyond your budget and you can't afford better, that means you might have to make do with low end.

All the above is for new stuff.  You can always go used and you might first check with your friends and relatives in case any of them have something lying around that they don't need or don't use.  They might give you a good deal.  Finally there are the refurbs or other used items out there that might be OK or, let the buyer beware.

Good luck!

On June 10, 2016 at 7:00 AM, SpaceXray said:

Regarding a MacBook, a MacBook Pro is the only remaining Apple laptop worth buying. But now, I can no longer recommend a Mac when I know there are way better laptops out there now with better specs and more features (paying over 1000$ for a laptop that doesn't even have a touchscreen is ridiculous in my mind).

Why would you need a touchscreen on a laptop? So you can get more finger prints? I never understood laptops with touchscreen's, especially the ones that flip around to become a clunky tablet. 

I've never used a Surface or Surface Pro, so I can't speak on it. 

On June 10, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Elthy said:

False. I do 'real' (what does that even mean?) work on my iMac all the time. GIMP, 3D modeling, programming, etc. There is nothing hardware wise that makes Windows machines more powerful for a given generation.

On June 10, 2016 at 6:49 AM, p1t1o said:

I have neither a big wallet nor am I not computer savvy, but I use a Mac. 

2 hours ago, Elthy said:

An iMac is the biggest ripoff i know. While its stationary it still comes with notebook hardware, is extremly overpriced and has the worst OS for any serios work...

Which iMac? I know the new 21.5" iMac's aren't that great, but the iMac I use is good.

2 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Go for An iMac. Nice large retina display, great FPS on ksp, (I was still running fast after installing 40 mods.)

And it has great graphics. 

(If you want to spend $550)

You can't get an iMac for $550. The cheapest new iMac costs $1099, and they are practically notebooks, spec wise. 

I really don't think a Mac is right for DMan979 because good Mac's are expensive. Have you thought about Linux?

11 minutes ago, Robotengineer said:

Why would you need a touchscreen on a laptop? So you can get more finger prints? I never understood laptops with touchscreen's, especially the ones that flip around to become a clunky tablet. 

For some people it can work. My mum had always had a lot of trouble with computers, mainly due to lacking co-ordination with the mouse, but she took very well to her Windows 8 tablet with detachable keyboard. And I myself find laptop trackpads fiddly, and it's a lot simpler on a small laptop to touch the screen. On the other hand large touchscreens, like on a big laptop or an all-in-one, don't work because they're too far away, it's no good if you actually have to stretch forward to reach the screen.

In general I do not think much of "all in one" PCs, the modern iMac included. They combine the portability of a desktop with the performance-per-dollar of a laptop. Only buy one if you care more about how your PC looks than how it actually works.

On 6/9/2016 at 11:10 PM, Dman979 said:

Hi All,

I recently had to return the computer I used for school over the past 4 years. It's time to upgrade to a new system. But what kind of system? Mac, Linux, or PC? Laptop or desktop? More or less cowbell?

The last time I looked for a computer was in 10th grade. I was looking for a gaming desktop, but that's not my focus right now.

I would expect that I will use it for word processing, MATLAB, some gaming, social media, etc. Nothing too taxing, I think.

Let's start with the basics. Which will suit me better: a laptop or a desktop?

Second: I hate Windows 10. Yes, it's a good operating system, blah blah blah, but it has too many privacy issues for me, and I don't like how Microsoft was shoving it down my parents' and my throats.

With that in mind, can we get a discussion started?

Mods: Yes, I understand that this could potentially go in the Computer Megathread. I'd like to be able to access any information a bit more easily, though, and I think it could derail the topic of the Megathread.

You never did tell me your final choice of college. Is it ER? If it is, I'll ask my cousin's son what they're using ... he's there now.

Otherwise, Macs are ok, everything included. PC - I prefer ASUS. For Linux OS, Mint has a really nice build out ... Mint 18 "Sarah" is their intended long-term support version, planned to be supported well into 2021.

8 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

You never did tell me your final choice of college. Is it ER? If it is, I'll ask my cousin's son what they're using ... he's there now.

Otherwise, Macs are ok, everything included. PC - I prefer ASUS. For Linux OS, Mint has a really nice build out ... Mint 18 "Sarah" is their intended long-term support version, planned to be supported well into 2021.

Oh, yeah, that's right. :)

I'm going to Penn State University, if it affects the discussion in any way.

I think I'm looking at a laptop now. I know that I can build my own desktop, but I really need to be able to type notes during lectures.

And Windows 7 is my preferred OS, for a Windows PC.

3 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I'm going to Penn State University, if it affects the discussion in any way.

I think I'm looking at a laptop now. I know that I can build my own desktop, but I really need to be able to type notes during lectures.

Well you're right there! lol

Bop on in and see what folks are using. Pay a visit to the IT department and see what they suggest (being you'll be using their network access). :wink:

Oh, and, good luck to you! :cool:

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

I'm going to Penn State University, if it affects the discussion in any way…

Contact the department you're doing into to find out about any specific software they reccommend or use.

A uni as big as PSU also has deals with software suppliers that may or may not be better than the "student" options the developers may offer. Hint: I just googled "pennsylvania state university software" and they do indeed offer a bunch of products; Office in particular is free, but I don't know if the others are better deals or not.

Someone in IT should be more than happy to answer questions about it…but I'd strongly reccommend finding out when registration is and calling any other time. They will be supah-busy during registration.

Oh, and back to the origional question, $500 won't necessarily get you a "gaming" laptop, but it will sure get you plenty of normal-schmoe laptop. Might even play some kinds of games okay too.

Something touched upon in several posts is software (as opposed to OS).  You can use some good free open source software on all the major platforms (such software as LibreOffice, GIMP, Blender and others come to mind, and I prefer them over some "Pro" software out there).

Consider this too as you decide on what you purchase or what bundles may be available to you.

Edited by Dispatcher
Added Blender per a post on next page

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.