Patch 1.1.3 now in experimental testing

KasperVld

On 11/06/2016 at 11:38 AM, jlcarneiro said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy with these news, but I confess I get a bit afraid too: some of the mods I like (KER, ARP and DOE) haven't been completely updated to 1.1.2 yet! :rolleyes:

Most of the mod updating efforts are around the move from 1.0.X to 1.1.X which included having to partly rewrite code for the DLLs (modules), plus a big change to legs and wheels.  Presumably with only changing the release number it won't be seriously breaking many mods.  Probably just a few select ones.  :-) 

My understanding is this is mostly fixing some things related to releasing 1.1 (aka bug fixes), and the main dev work has been focused on 1.2, which is intended as a more complete integration with Unity5.  Bug fixes rarely break mods much.  CKAN will need to be told the old mods are compatible, and that'll be about it.  Although (and I haven't watched the twitch thing where they discuss what is changing) IF they're fixing wheels up, wheels modded wheels/legs might need some work.

On 18/06/2016 at 4:30 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

I feel that we need a dedicated announcement for this from the higher-ups.

The "landing gear bug" comes from a screwy Unity thing. It cannot be fixed by SQUAD without updating the engine again, or doing what @Shadowmage and @lo-fi is doing and build a new wheel technology from scratch. SQUAD is opting for the engine update, which is scheduled for 1.2. That's gonna be a while, so be patient if you're waiting for the stock ones to be fixed. Or, you can be slightly less patient and wait for the Kerbal Foundries new tech. I'm sure there'll be a stock conversion, since the stock wheels are pretty borked.
(By the way, spherecasts and composite cylinder-casts are vastly superior to raycasts. Why raycasts were ever thought to be the best option, I don't know. Silly Unity.)

And to keep the chain going, Unity5 is just using the wheel physics from nVidia's physx, where the friction is wrong.  Although the choice of raycast does seem to be a unity decision.  Based on racing track cars is my guess.

so im having trouble with orbits.  I have a lander in orbit around the mun, and i was about to start the rendezvous process,  when i noticed my AP moving..  it has climbed 3km in less then 4 minutes.. and its still going,  getting closer to 4km change now.

is this a new glitch?  I remember the ap/pe  being a bit finicky before, but i dont think it was this bad ..

29 minutes ago, DD_bwest said:

so im having trouble with orbits.  I have a lander in orbit around the mun, and i was about to start the rendezvous process,  when i noticed my AP moving..  it has climbed 3km in less then 4 minutes.. and its still going,  getting closer to 4km change now.

is this a new glitch?  I remember the ap/pe  being a bit finicky before, but i dont think it was this bad ..

It came in in 1.1.2. It has been fixed, though.

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

It came in in 1.1.2. It has been fixed, though.

I didnt notice it while i was playing 1.1.2.    Ive upgraded to 1.1.3  and its happening, so i guess its not been fixed.  im still new here so not sure how to properly report it

59 minutes ago, DD_bwest said:

I didnt notice it while i was playing 1.1.2.    Ive upgraded to 1.1.3  and its happening, so i guess its not been fixed.  im still new here so not sure how to properly report it

Odd, I heard it was fixed. That's really, really weird.

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Why not MechJeb and Engineer for All?

If it will work for the latest update, I'm willing to try it, of course...but have always loaded both mods separately.  Does this work?

Gah!  I finally got far enough in career mode to unlock solar panels last night by flying a plane for over two hours to complete a contract.  I was excited all day to be able to attempt a Mun lander probe and hopefully get a Kerbal rescue that's in an eccentric orbit 4.3 million meters away from Kerbin.  So far, I haven't been able to circularize that far out.  And now all mods are broken.  :'(

But I am not really using many mods.  I mean actively, anyway.  I have something called Community Resource Pack, Orbital Science, KAS, KIS, Kerbal Engineer, MechJeb2, Near Future Propulsion, SCANsat and Station Science in my GameData folder.  But I am only using MechJeb and Kerbal Engineer for stats because I haven't unlocked MechJebs automation functions yet.  I don't know how to use KAS or KIS.  And I don't remember what the others actually do, except SCANsat but I haven't tried launching any satellites because I just got solar panels last night.

So, is it safe for me to play 1.1.3?  I don't want to mess up my save.  I don't have a ton of time to play so getting this far into the tech tree is an achievement.

EDIT: I only have one post?  Is this it or did I have one posted before?  haha  I guess I am really resigned to being a lurker.

Edited by Slaghead
Suprised that I only have one post. I know I mostly read but still...

Less than an hour into a new career and I have a bizarre and frustrating bug. Spent over an hour diagnosing the root cause. It seems the LT-05 Landing Strut is causing extreme forces on my craft during launch. Video and craft available. Thread here:

6 hours ago, Slaghead said:

EDIT: I only have one post?  Is this it or did I have one posted before?  haha  I guess I am really resigned to being a lurker.

I think posts in the Lounge and Games subforums don't count there!

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Perfect timing. I just got to work and can't even download it for 12 more hours, little alone play it :D

I just got here and it's been 12 hours. Get to work! :wink:

(j/k, obviously. Take your own time)

7 hours ago, OscarJade said:

If it will work for the latest update, I'm willing to try it, of course...but have always loaded both mods separately.  Does this work?

From what I understand, Mechjeb and Engineer for all just adds the functionality flags to the stock pods, so using the mod mostly keep you from needing the additional parts, allowing your ship to only use stock parts and thus break less during updates.  The for all mod does not actually implement the functionality however, you need the mods for that.