1.1.3 Hype Train: Branch Line Edition

Whirligig Girl

Based on what Mu (now the lead dev) and NathanKell said in Thursday's Squadcast, 1.1.3 is more than mere patches and buffixes--they're finally taking the first steps (maybe more than just steps) towards rewriting all the KSP code, making it lean and clean.  This is the way to no more stutters, no more memory leaks, no more lagginess, and probably no more crashes.

In the area of garbage collection, they cited vessel unloading as a prime offender, producing excessive amount of garbage.  In 1.1.3, it now produces ZERO garbage. :)

42 minutes ago, Laguna said:

Based on what Mu (now the lead dev) and NathanKell said in Thursday's Squadcast, 1.1.3 is more than mere patches and buffixes--they're finally taking the first steps (maybe more than just steps) towards rewriting all the KSP code, making it lean and clean.

Woah, there was a squadcast again?  Sweet, I'll have to go watch that.

I'll save my hype and wait for the next train.  This train has bad wheels and is likely to derail.

Here is my reaction image

aKSraly.png

It's not even worth the bandwidth.

Edited by Alshain

9 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Really?! I made my first planet pack not too long ago, and now I have to COMPLETELY REWRITE IT?! No thanks, no hype train for me.

Relax.  Code rewrites happen all the time, that doesn't mean the methods you use will change their definition.  Of all the reasons, not to download 1.1.3, that isn't one of them.

Edited by Alshain

17 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Really?! I made my first planet pack not too long ago, and now I have to COMPLETELY REWRITE IT?! No thanks, no hype train for me.

Assuming your planet pack relies on Kopernicus like all other modern KSP planet mods do, then no. The Kopernicus folks will deal with any changes they need to make, and work to keep the format of the planet pack files virtually the same.

Alright, so, calm hype. Ok. I can do this. I can do this. Here goes. hypehypehypehypehype

There. Any questions or concerns regarding the calm hype.

I really hope that HooliganLabs Airships is updated again for 1.1.3. BTW, HooliganLabs Airships is back for 1.1.2, check it out here: 

Okay, I will be riding 2nd class again. And also, this isn't going anywhere near the speed of the 1.1 hype train. Because this is just a hype train for a patch that solves the problems that keeps people on 1.0.5.

Update #3: WAIT, WHA! The squadcasts are back!???!? Man, I've missed them so much. (Just Kidding.)

For some reason, my posts keep on adding on to one posts. SMH :V

53 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Yes, as was previously mentioned, it's not going to change in any radical way (aside from whatever changes 1.1.3 brings), just a long-overdue top-to-bottom cleaning is in the works.  Still is going to work the same way, just be far more efficient and faster--and no memory leaks, stutters, lagging or crashes, AND easier for less-than-high-end processors to handle.  Mike (Mu) even said that all the deprecated code that mod authors have complained about is slated for removal at last.  The first steps will be taken in 1.1.3, but NathanKell and Mu said that the full overhaul will be part of 1.2.

And to be honest, even if 1.1.3 (or 1.2) does break every mod out there, I'll be fine with it, as a code overhaul needs to be done, as the stutters and crashes aren't something that can be fixed with a simple patch.

Edited by Laguna

Ive made some dangerous trains in the past, self propelled fuel tanks screaming along at 35ms on unstable terrain. the slightest wrong move from the driver means death for train and crew. its fair to say trains in my experience are more lethal than any other craft in KSP..

However.. in the history of the KTP, ive never built a train more dangerous than this..

Please Help 1.1.3..  we need you

xvzsPGg.png

56 minutes ago, Overland said:

Ive made some dangerous trains in the past, self propelled fuel tanks screaming along at 35ms on unstable terrain. the slightest wrong move from the driver means death for train and crew. its fair to say trains in my experience are more lethal than any other craft in KSP..

However.. in the history of the KTP, ive never built a train more dangerous than this..

Please Help 1.1.3..  we need you

xvzsPGg.png

I tried to make one...

b5348a6ac67ac780d18722e6f83e26af.png

thing handles like a steel pipe.  no turning at all between joints.

PLEASE OVERLAND, TAKE ME AS YOUR PADAWAN!