[1.7.0] KSP Rescue Pod Validator (no more kerbals spawning in inflatable modules!)

Shadowmage

Ever had a Kerbal stranded in orbit in a deflated USI inflatable module, or other crewed part without a hatch?  This is your solution.

This is a simple micro-addon that does one thing; restricts the pods that may be selected to spawn kerbals in for orbital rescue contracts.  Any new contracts that are generated will have the part that they use validated against a list of approved parts and replaced with a random approved part if it is not on the list.  This will not effect any contracts that you have already accepted, or any contracts that are already 'available'; as such you will need to complete or decline any existing rescue contracts after you first install the mod.

The pods that are 'valid' are configurable via a simple config file, the default configuration file only includes stock command pods.  Other 'valid' pods can be added by end-users through module manager (recommended) or manual edits (not recommended).  See the included .cfg file for details / node names / etc.

Downloads:
https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPRescuePodFix/releases
Simply drop the KSPRescuePodFix folder from the .zip into your KSPs GameData folder and you should be good to go.

Requirements:
ModuleManager for KSP 1.6 (latest version you can find) (not included)

Issues/Problems/Bug Reports:
Please report all issues/bugs/feature-requests on the github issue tracker, located at: ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPRescuePodFix/issues )

Legal:
Source is licensed under GPL v3 ( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html ), and is available on github: ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPRescuePodFix ).
Much of the source is based on the concept presented by @xEvilReeperx, which can be found at ( link ).

Edited by Shadowmage

Hmm... apparently there are some issues with it parsing something improperly (it is expecting an integer, and something is passing it an 's');  I'll have to take a further look at it after I get home from work (it worked fine last night before I in-lined the parsing methods).

Sadly, I cannot test or fix things that require launching KSP while at work =\

So.. check back in ~10 hours or so, sorry for the bad first release :(

Actually, if you want, you can try out this 'fixed' .dll (merely replace the existing one with this one): https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPRescuePodFix/raw/master/GameData/KSPRescuePodFix/KSPRescuePodFix.dll

Was a quick recompile after fixing the errors from you log (thanks, btw, logs are always helpful!); basically just wrap the entire function in a try/catch block so that it shouldn't fubar all contracts if a null-value is detected in the config node (why does stock code return null?); no idea if it actually fixes the problem as I cannot test it yet due to being stuck at work....  (have re-uploaded the .zip as well)

Edited by Shadowmage

So this could be the savior Take Command needs. Currently that mod adds crew capacity to external command seats, and that causes them to be used for rescue missions. It's apparently considered game breaking, but it's a case of either break the mod or break the game. However, with this mod...you could add external command seats to the filter list.

31 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

So this could be the savior Take Command needs. Currently that mod adds crew capacity to external command seats, and that causes them to be used for rescue missions. It's apparently considered game breaking, but it's a case of either break the mod or break the game. However, with this mod...you could add external command seats to the filter list.

Actually you would leave the command seat -off- of the list.  The list is a set of parts that are 'valid' for the contract; if you added the command-seat to the list it would allow contracts to generate using it (which is the current problem).

So..... for your purposes, you would just download and install it as-is, and it would already/automatically 'fix' any -new- contracts that were generated with external seats by replacing the part with one from the 'valid parts' list.

3 hours ago, Vrana said:

Good job. Kerbals spawning in random parts with crew capacity but no hatch has a been long standing issue with rescue missions and part packs.

Yeah, or even in biplane cockpit in my case :-)

Edited by panzerwaffe044

4 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@Shadowmage Great solution! I've had Kerbals spawn so many times in Pathfinder portable modules. Took it like a punishment for having so many modded parts.

Indeed :)  Exactly what this little plugin is intended to prevent. 

For me it was always USI inflatable modules, spawning deflated, flinging the poor Kerbal out when he went to exit.

Either way, shouldn't be a problem with this installed :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/13/2016 at 10:48 AM, Shadowmage said:

It may not even need a recompile, and probably 'just works' with 1.2.

Either way I'll work on testing/updating this little mod sometime over this upcoming weekend.

Shadowmage, your mod is one of those tiny little mods that silently works in the background, and you don't realize how good it is until... you see a Kerbal Planetary Base Airlock showing up! Luckily those do come with an airlock, but I'm afraid it's not working as intended in 1.2

Spoiler

RESCUE_POD_TYPES
{
	part = landerCabinSmall
	part = mk2LanderCabin
	part = mk1pod
	part = Mark1-2Pod
	part = Mark1Cockpit
	part = MK1CrewCabin
	part = Mark2Cockpit
	part = mk2Cockpit_Standard
	part = mk2Cockpit_Inline
}

Here's the configuration used.

Take your time, if it takes a month or even more so be it! But I'm looking forward to the update! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.9.2016 at 5:01 AM, Shadowmage said:

No, I don't do CKAN, sorry.  Especially for this mod; its a single .dll and config file that can be placed anywhere in GameData... about as simple as an install can get.

Some version checking would be nice, if you don't like CKAN, maybe you can add the metadata for KSP-AVC ?

But i think there is no matter, which metadata you go to support.

Many KSP player would be pleased, if there is an announce of an new version on game start, so they can fetch the bug fixes.

Thank you, for your time.

Edited by FlatEric

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.