[1.7.0] KSP Rescue Pod Validator (no more kerbals spawning in inflatable modules!)

Shadowmage

I experienced a bug that might be related to this mod, but I'm not sure how I can tell for sure.

I went on my first rescue contract and found the stranded kerbal in a pod with no hatch - one of the USI life support pods. I installed this mod at that time but I guess since I had already loaded the pod, it remained where it was and I still had to edit the save file to move the kerbal to my rescue ship.

When I returned to the surface and the contract completed, I lost all my other contracts ("completed" and "active" lists were empty and contracts I had previously completed showed up as available, all the way back to "orbit kerbin" etc.) and the kerbal I rescued was nowhere to be found. The only contract I had in "completed" was the rescue mission I just finished.

I was able to restore most of the contracts by copying the relevant section from a previous save file, but I did not get the kerbal back.

I experienced the exact same thing the next rescue mission I tried. I guess I'll just avoid rescue missions for now. If there's any information I can provide that can help narrow down the cause please let me know, and sorry if this is the wrong place to report this.

Edited by kerbowie

@kerbowie

Thats a new one to me;  I've only seen that happen when I've installed (or more often, removed) mods that add or alter the contracts (USI, TAC, many others).  Did you add/remove any other mods at the same time?

RescuePodValidator does not touch existing contracts.  It does only a single thing -- change the part-name assigned to rescue contracts on newly generated contracts to one of the part-names from the 'valid parts' list.  That is all.  It doesn't touch your existing accepted contracts, nor those that are already generated and not-yet-accepted, and certainly doesn't touch the finished contracts.

However, if you can happen to find a reliable set of steps for reproduction in an otherwise stock install (and confirm it only happens with this mod installed), please let me know.  Including the save and log files will be needed.

I did upgrade USI LS via CKAN over the weekend, along with a couple other mods I don't think are related. Other than that, no changes except installing RescuePodValidator. Thanks for the explanation regardless, it doesn't seem like RescuePodValidator can be the root cause of this but I'm still stumped as to what's going on. If it continues I'll try to dig into it and see if I can find a way to reliably reproduce the problem.

Edited by kerbowie

8 hours ago, kerbowie said:

When I returned to the surface and the contract completed, I lost all my other contracts ("completed" and "active" lists were empty and contracts I had previously completed showed up as available, all the way back to "orbit kerbin" etc.) and the kerbal I rescued was nowhere to be found. The only contract I had in "completed" was the rescue mission I just finished.

Did you maybe used the Quickstart Mod and load the game directly onto the last vehicle? Someone said he experienced the same "mission losses" when doing so.

15 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Did you maybe used the Quickstart Mod and load the game directly onto the last vehicle? Someone said he experienced the same "mission losses" when doing so.

Quite possibly! I do use that mod and although I don't recall if I used it during the rescue mission, it definitely matches the description:

• 3 months later...

Will be doing a recompile / update of this mod for 1.3 later this week/weekend.  If the current 1.2.2. versions are working under 1.3, please let me know (and/or if they are not working).  I don't anticipate that there will be many (or any) changes needed for this mod during the update, but won't know until I can start digging into it.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, Shadowmage said:

Will be doing a recompile / update of this mod for 1.3 later this week/weekend.  If the current 1.2.2. versions are working under 1.3, please let me know (and/or if they are not working).  I don't anticipate that there will be many (or any) changes needed for this mod during the update, but won't know until I can start digging into it.

I'm still waiting for a few other mods to update before I jump to 1.3. I cant yet say if there are issues.

I've just started a new career, and will be accepting as many rescues as I can manage. I need crew <evil grin>

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2016 at 10:31 AM, steedcrugeon said:

Would I be right in thinking that I could add an MM patch to my mod as such:

@RESCUE_POD_TYPES:NEEDS[KSPPodRescueFix]
{
	%name = rektkm1a
	%name = rektmk1d
	%name = rektmk1n
}

and this would implement the pods onto the existing list, where someone has your mod installed

Minor issue with this patch, for anyone thinking of using a variant for their own mods:

The name of this mod is 'KSPRescuePodFix' - so the above NEEDS statement is incorrect.  Corrected first line:

@RESCUE_POD_TYPES:NEEDS[KSPRescuePodFix]

...And it's 'part', not 'name'.  So, what should be a working patch:

{
	part = rektkm1a
	part = rektmk1d
	part = rektmk1n
}

(Note: I've already submitted a PR to REKT on this issue - I'm putting this here as a 'better community docs' response.  You should be able to copy the above into an MM file, replace the part names with whatever you want, and use that as a template for compatibility.)

• 2 weeks later...

For those using Roverdude's Exploration Pack that includes the DERP (Deployable Emergency Reentry Pod) one can comment out the parts in the config file (don't delete it) in this mod and add the following config file in the USI SrvPack folder;

{
    part = DERP_POD
}

Now you'll only be chasing big orange beach balls around in orbit - Looks better than finding "broken up craft parts" just drifting about.

Edited by Morashtak
link

58 minutes ago, Morashtak said:

For those using Roverdude's Exploration Pack that includes the DERP (Deployable Emergency Reentry Pod) one can comment out the parts in the config file (don't delete it) in this mod and add the following config file in the USI SrvPack folder;

{
    part = DERP_POD
}

Now you'll only be chasing big orange beach balls around in orbit - Looks better than finding "broken up craft parts" just drifting about.

Huh, I thought the DERP pod spawned in its uninflated state so I always made sure to exclude it. I generally configure it to use the REKT pods since they're another dedicated escape pod.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Every time I start a new install of KSP, this is the mod I forget to include, but it's also the one mod that I have used in all installs since it came out. It's an absolute life saver. Thank you a million times for your work!

Also, I now have a post-it glued to my monitor, that says "KSPRescuePodFix! Come on!"

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

1 hour ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

Every time I start a new install of KSP, this is the mod I forget to include,

Hehe, at least I'm not the only one (I always forget about this as well; its so small and unobtrusive it just slips the mind) :)    I honestly forget this mod even exists most of the time, it is so low maintenance it never pops up in my support queue.

Glad it is still serving its purpose though :)

Not strictly related to this mod, but is anyone aware of a mod or configuration edit to set a higher minimum altitude for pods to spawn? Having a craft appear at 75 km in an upscale system with a thicker atmosphere makes these rescues a bit difficult.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Honestly, I started using Kerbals stuck in pods on rescue missions as a new challenge for the rescue. I'd use KIS/KAS to attach parts and whatnot to pull them out. But, I'm installing this. It didn't fix a pod I had in orbit already, but at least I shouldn't get this problem in the future.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.