[1.7.0] KSP Rescue Pod Validator (no more kerbals spawning in inflatable modules!)

Shadowmage

It's not Squad's fault that mod makers put out parts without hatches, so why should it be their responsibility to fix a problem they didn't create? The worst offender in my game is the very popular USI Life Support with it's viewing cupola. It holds one Kerbal counts as a crew seat for occupancy, but there's no exterior hatch. With KIS/KAS it doesn't really matter. I've installed docking ports on inaccessible parts and docked with them and also just "installed" the inaccessible part on the nose of my rescue vehicle if they were light enough for a single Kerbal to move. 

And to add to that: There's actually even a reasonable argument for being given rescue contracts to parts without hatches.  If a station or ship were to break up, I could see an astronought taking shelter wherever they could, and closing the bulkheads with whatever came to hand.  Having them end up in a piece of the station that's without a 'real' exit would be realistic, and it's a realistic challenge to have to figure out how to get them out of there.  (And even if it did have an exit, it many not have a space suit...)

So, it's not a problem for Squad - none of their parts need it.  It's only a problem with modded parts - and even then, it's only a problem if you believe it's a problem and not a challenge.  It's fully appropriate to be a mod.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

And to add to that: There's actually even a reasonable argument for being given rescue contracts to parts without hatches.  If a station or ship were to break up, I could see an astronought taking shelter wherever they could, and closing the bulkheads with whatever came to hand.  Having them end up in a piece of the station that's without a 'real' exit would be realistic, and it's a realistic challenge to have to figure out how to get them out of there.  (And even if it did have an exit, it many not have a space suit...)

So, it's not a problem for Squad - none of their parts need it.  It's only a problem with modded parts - and even then, it's only a problem if you believe it's a problem and not a challenge.  It's fully appropriate to be a mod.

Nice rationalization but most of the rescue contracts that I've seen don't mention breakups disasters.  Hmmm, great idea for a contract pack, perhaps.  Multiple targets with differing survivor counts, different orbits...it this even possible with Contract Configurator or the Mission Builder (which I haven't installed yet)??

5 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Nice rationalization but most of the rescue contracts that I've seen don't mention breakups disasters.  Hmmm, great idea for a contract pack, perhaps.  Multiple targets with differing survivor counts, different orbits...it this even possible with Contract Configurator or the Mission Builder (which I haven't installed yet)??

I figure they didn't think they needed to mention it - after all, you've got some Kerbal stranded without even RCS, obviously *something* happened.  Besides, it was probably in the news.  ;)  (Not that we get the news...)

Not sure about Contract Configurator, but I think you could do it with Mission Builder.

• 2 months later...

Heads up -- I will be putting out a KSP 1.5 compatible recompiled version of this add-on sometime later this week/week-end.  The existing version may work, but I have not checked, and will be doing an official recompile and update either way.

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Heads up -- I will be putting out a KSP 1.5 compatible recompiled version of this add-on sometime later this week/week-end.  The existing version may work, but I have not checked, and will be doing an official recompile and update either way.

Did about 10 rescue contracts in the last few hours, so far nobody has popped in with an MKS pod of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...

started getting the below error after the update. I dont think you did anything but recompile right?   its the same error spam message. 

ive not noticed or seen this one before. usually the rescue fix just "works". 

[ConfigNode.AddValue] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at SSTUTools.RescueContractPartSelector.OnContractOffered(Contracts.Contract contract)
   at EventData`1[[Contracts.Contract, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]].Fire(Contracts.Contract data)
   at Contracts.Contract.SetState(State newState)
   at Contracts.Contract.Offer()
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts(Int32 ByRef seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count)
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts()
   at Contracts.ContractSystem+<UpdateDaemon>c__Iterator1.MoveNext()
   at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

14 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

started getting the below error after the update. I dont think you did anything but recompile right?   its the same error spam message. 

ive not noticed or seen this one before. usually the rescue fix just "works". 

Thanks for the report.

I'm fairly certain that error would denote that the original contract had an invalid Agent parameter specified.  All that this mod does is read the original contract node, check/change a part-ID, and then save that node back out;  if the data was invalid when it came in, it will still be invalid when it goes out.  So, the source for this particular issue is likely in a mod contract pack that isn't setting the agent properly, or perhaps a mod that added a particular agent was removed...

Please let me know if it is becomes a constant occurrence; if it is something happening reliably there is most likely a conflict that will need to be investigated and resolved.

yeah i dont think this has anything to do with it either because of just the way it works. others may see sstutools.rescuecontract and come here looking. 

may even be a stock problem where they have added a new requirement to contract creation.

you arent using a pre-existing list of contract elements or anything right?

i looked but didnt see anything like that but im pretty good at missing stuff hehe. 

1 minute ago, COL.R.Neville said:

you arent using a pre-existing list of contract elements or anything right?

Nope -- I don't touch or adjust any contract elements aside from the part-ID (if it is present).  If the part-ID isn't present, the contract doesn't get touched.
Certainly possible that it is being caused by a change in stock contract params... but then I would think it would be a more consistent occurrence (e.g. would trigger on -every- contract).

There might be a possibility to 'hack' it if the precise cause could be found -- would have to know what the incoming contract data looked like, and could inject a correct value;  still would be best to find the root cause of the incorrect/missing value though and fix the problem there.

• 1 month later...

1.6 Update News:

I will hopefully be releasing an official 1.6 version over the weekend (no promises); it will have some minor changes to the list of command pods that are valid, including the newer versions of parts from the latest KSP releases.  Until then the current versions should continue to function, and there should be no concern over breakage when the update is available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Minorly curious whether this works with 1.8.1. I'd have guessed not, as most 1.7 mods seem to need recompiles to work with 1.8. I recently started a new career game in 1.8.1. I've got this installed and it doesn't result in anything obvious like KSP failing to run. But I've not yet done enough rescue missions in that game to know whether this mod is actually working or I just got lucky on the first few rescue contracts. Vaguely thought about trying to recompile it myself, but last time I tried to recompile a mod, the only result of several hours was to make my ignorance of MS Visual Studio and C# painfully obvious.

7 hours ago, rmaine said:

Minorly curious whether this works with 1.8.1. I'd have guessed not, as most 1.7 mods seem to need recompiles to work with 1.8. I recently started a new career game in 1.8.1. I've got this installed and it doesn't result in anything obvious like KSP failing to run. But I've not yet done enough rescue missions in that game to know whether this mod is actually working or I just got lucky on the first few rescue contracts. Vaguely thought about trying to recompile it myself, but last time I tried to recompile a mod, the only result of several hours was to make my ignorance of MS Visual Studio and C# painfully obvious.

I've been using this in 1.8.1 for a little while now.  Seems to be fine; haven't run into any problems during rescues and each of the 'heaps' have had EVA available.

14 hours ago, rmaine said:

I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but it should continue to function as long as there weren't any changes to the KSP-API in regards to contracts.  If it doesn't throw errors during loading (e.g. 'could not load library'), then it should work fine.

The mod is so small and simple that it would require changes to very specific parts of the KSP code to break it; not saying that it can't happen, but it hasn't yet even across many different KSP version updates.

56 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but it should continue to function as long as there weren't any changes to the KSP-API in regards to contracts.  If it doesn't throw errors during loading (e.g. 'could not load library'), then it should work fine.

The mod is so small and simple that it would require changes to very specific parts of the KSP code to break it; not saying that it can't happen, but it hasn't yet even across many different KSP version updates.

I have been using it as is so far.  I'll add some parts put in by mods tonight and see if there's a hiccup.

• 3 months later...

Just found this from your signature @Shadowmage.  I'm going to see if this works in 1.9.1.  I still had this happen in 1.8.1 (with mods) and I don't remember seeing anything in any Squad changelogs about any new fixes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:10 PM, Shadowmage said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I just had a pod (from a mod) that spawned for a Kerbal Rescue mission without a crew hatch. I'm still on 1.8.1

Cheers,

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:47 PM, Murdabenne said:

Is this app still needed? I'm getting ready to start a new career game, and have a few parts mods that may need this.  If needed, does this still work in 1.9.1 despite the Unity and API changes?

Yes, as far as I'm aware, pods without hatches (added from mods) is still an issue with KSP 1.9+.

Also yes, this mod should work fine for KSP 1.9.x.  Untested on KSP 1.10, but should work there as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.