Shadowmage

[1.7.0] KSP Rescue Pod Validator (no more kerbals spawning in inflatable modules!)

Recommended Posts

It's not Squad's fault that mod makers put out parts without hatches, so why should it be their responsibility to fix a problem they didn't create? The worst offender in my game is the very popular USI Life Support with it's viewing cupola. It holds one Kerbal counts as a crew seat for occupancy, but there's no exterior hatch. With KIS/KAS it doesn't really matter. I've installed docking ports on inaccessible parts and docked with them and also just "installed" the inaccessible part on the nose of my rescue vehicle if they were light enough for a single Kerbal to move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to add to that: There's actually even a reasonable argument for being given rescue contracts to parts without hatches.  If a station or ship were to break up, I could see an astronought taking shelter wherever they could, and closing the bulkheads with whatever came to hand.  Having them end up in a piece of the station that's without a 'real' exit would be realistic, and it's a realistic challenge to have to figure out how to get them out of there.  (And even if it did have an exit, it many not have a space suit...)

So, it's not a problem for Squad - none of their parts need it.  It's only a problem with modded parts - and even then, it's only a problem if you believe it's a problem and not a challenge.  It's fully appropriate to be a mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DStaal said:

And to add to that: There's actually even a reasonable argument for being given rescue contracts to parts without hatches.  If a station or ship were to break up, I could see an astronought taking shelter wherever they could, and closing the bulkheads with whatever came to hand.  Having them end up in a piece of the station that's without a 'real' exit would be realistic, and it's a realistic challenge to have to figure out how to get them out of there.  (And even if it did have an exit, it many not have a space suit...)

So, it's not a problem for Squad - none of their parts need it.  It's only a problem with modded parts - and even then, it's only a problem if you believe it's a problem and not a challenge.  It's fully appropriate to be a mod.

Nice rationalization but most of the rescue contracts that I've seen don't mention breakups disasters.  Hmmm, great idea for a contract pack, perhaps.  Multiple targets with differing survivor counts, different orbits...it this even possible with Contract Configurator or the Mission Builder (which I haven't installed yet)??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Nice rationalization but most of the rescue contracts that I've seen don't mention breakups disasters.  Hmmm, great idea for a contract pack, perhaps.  Multiple targets with differing survivor counts, different orbits...it this even possible with Contract Configurator or the Mission Builder (which I haven't installed yet)??

I figure they didn't think they needed to mention it - after all, you've got some Kerbal stranded without even RCS, obviously *something* happened.  Besides, it was probably in the news.  ;)  (Not that we get the news...)

Not sure about Contract Configurator, but I think you could do it with Mission Builder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heads up -- I will be putting out a KSP 1.5 compatible recompiled version of this add-on sometime later this week/week-end.  The existing version may work, but I have not checked, and will be doing an official recompile and update either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Heads up -- I will be putting out a KSP 1.5 compatible recompiled version of this add-on sometime later this week/week-end.  The existing version may work, but I have not checked, and will be doing an official recompile and update either way.

Did about 10 rescue contracts in the last few hours, so far nobody has popped in with an MKS pod of any kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

started getting the below error after the update. I dont think you did anything but recompile right?   its the same error spam message. 

ive not noticed or seen this one before. usually the rescue fix just "works". 

[ConfigNode.AddValue] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at ConfigNode.AddValue(System.String name, System.String value)
   at Contracts.Contract.Save(.ConfigNode node)
   at SSTUTools.RescueContractPartSelector.OnContractOffered(Contracts.Contract contract)
   at EventData`1[[Contracts.Contract, Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]].Fire(Contracts.Contract data)
   at Contracts.Contract.SetState(State newState)
   at Contracts.Contract.Offer()
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.GenerateContracts(Int32 ByRef seed, ContractPrestige difficulty, Int32 count)
   at Contracts.ContractSystem.RefreshContracts()
   at Contracts.ContractSystem+<UpdateDaemon>c__Iterator1.MoveNext()
   at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

started getting the below error after the update. I dont think you did anything but recompile right?   its the same error spam message. 

ive not noticed or seen this one before. usually the rescue fix just "works". 

Thanks for the report.

I'm fairly certain that error would denote that the original contract had an invalid Agent parameter specified.  All that this mod does is read the original contract node, check/change a part-ID, and then save that node back out;  if the data was invalid when it came in, it will still be invalid when it goes out.  So, the source for this particular issue is likely in a mod contract pack that isn't setting the agent properly, or perhaps a mod that added a particular agent was removed...

Please let me know if it is becomes a constant occurrence; if it is something happening reliably there is most likely a conflict that will need to be investigated and resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah i dont think this has anything to do with it either because of just the way it works. others may see sstutools.rescuecontract and come here looking. 

may even be a stock problem where they have added a new requirement to contract creation.

you arent using a pre-existing list of contract elements or anything right?

i looked but didnt see anything like that but im pretty good at missing stuff hehe. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, COL.R.Neville said:

you arent using a pre-existing list of contract elements or anything right?

Nope -- I don't touch or adjust any contract elements aside from the part-ID (if it is present).  If the part-ID isn't present, the contract doesn't get touched.
Certainly possible that it is being caused by a change in stock contract params... but then I would think it would be a more consistent occurrence (e.g. would trigger on -every- contract).

There might be a possibility to 'hack' it if the precise cause could be found -- would have to know what the incoming contract data looked like, and could inject a correct value;  still would be best to find the root cause of the incorrect/missing value though and fix the problem there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.6 Update News:

I will hopefully be releasing an official 1.6 version over the weekend (no promises); it will have some minor changes to the list of command pods that are valid, including the newer versions of parts from the latest KSP releases.  Until then the current versions should continue to function, and there should be no concern over breakage when the update is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.