• Ike
    • Dres
    • Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Pol
    • Bop
    • Eeloo

Laythe, because Laythe could allow you to setup a improvised landing platform that would allow Planes to take off and land on. Thats if you had an SSTO etc.

(And this might sound like begging, but anyone mind checking out my thread about Duna? Sorry for sounding desperate)

Edited by Guest

Dres! 

It's between Jool and Duna, making it good for refuel. It has decent gravity; not to much and to little is really annoying. Asteroids are good for mining (and flying through canyons!). Decent ore concentration too!

And plus, the entertainment options there! Canyon rock flying, extreme rover driving, asteroid stunts, flying through the canyon with big ships, and many more things! 

It has only two downsides: One, solar panels aren't super efficient. Two, there isn't a supply for free mint ice cream. 

DRES!!!

11 minutes ago, N_Danger said:

Minmus because of the ease of moving fuel from a mining operation to orbit. And free mint ice cream too.

I second the motion to make Minmus become the Choco-Mint Ice Cream planet from now on!

(I'm seriously getting desperate now, can anyone reply to my Duna Discussion?)

Edited by Guest

Minmus for your first science and ISRU base.  The next one is probably Poll (Laythe if you are really into spaceplanes).  After that you can pretty much choose your planet by ice cream deposits.

I am going with Laythe for a few reasons. Primarily because it's a great place for spaceplanes, but also because you could potentially have to retrofit an existing base infrastructure (if you have a standardised base infrastructure) to be able to float on water. And figuring out ways of doing that, as well as making an atmospheric skycrane that can assemble things on water, is often a very interesting challenge.

I like Laythe as you can make small and efficient SSTOs. Also, there are 2 (or 3 if you can make a small ISRU Vall lander) moons where refueling is optimal. Plus, Laythe is a great place to go swimming when the water is only not frozen because of salt. Laythe is also great for near Jool screenshots.

I'd say there's merit to most places. Though I don't see much point in a base on Eeloo in stock KSP. It's not a useful location like the moons of Kerbin or Jool. It's not visually interesting like Kerbin or the Mohole. It's not a 'challenge' in the way Eve, Tylo, and Moho are. It doesn't even have the comedy value of Dres.

Vall is nice for building bases, has just enough gravity to keep kraken from jumping you when using KIS, but still easy to get around. I currently have a 100 kerbal base going there, and 2 other 20 kerbal ones for my Jool 500 attempt.  Bop and Pol are easier, but as bases get larger they tend to jump in the air and flip over for no reason.  Laythe is fun for the novelty of a large base floating on inflatable heat shields, without EPL I find spaceplane oriented bases too finicky for regular supply missions so far.  My Tylo base just sits very very still.

Laythe or Vall. They open up access to the rest of Jool's moons, and if you want, access to Eeloo. Not to mention, Laythe has water and oxygen, and Vall has the very interesting (redacted) at (redacted). The only problem is the lack of sunlight. Maybe you could try landing on the sun.

11 hours ago, N_Danger said:

Minmus because of the ease of moving fuel from a mining operation to orbit. And free mint ice cream too.

Minmus, indeed. Cheaper to land on than the Mun, and it's a great waypoint for interplanetary travel when you have the nice gravity well of Kerbin to give you a boost.

Duna-Ike... Minmu's slow orbit and inclination make it a bit hard to depart for interplanetary missions... I just use a booster stage that I retroburn and aerobrake, then refuel from Mun or Minmus.

Dres- a joke... it takes less dV to aerobrake at duna and then proceed to dres, than to go directly to dres...and its inclination and such makes it not useful as a waypoint to jool.

Laythe - a fun little world, good place for a role playing colony... not a great place for ISRU, so val, pol an bop are attractive for fueling bases. You can do direct aerocaptures on laythe, you can use airbreathing engines for air-mobile bases (I'm making modular bases out of 2.5m rovers that can load and unload from mk3 bays).

Moho/Eeloo - if you want a base as an output furthest away from kerbin (in dV terms), then why not...

Eve- Lol.. Gilly... could be a good stop before going to Moho... or fueling up an eve lander which was sent nearly empty.

But.... Duna-Ike:

Atmosphere for aerocapture, but not much heat protection is needed to go to/from orbit. Low-ish dV requirements. Pressure is high enough that liquid water can exist. Ike is a good fueling place, and a good place to depart from on an interplanetary journey (drop back close to duna, then depart... short orbital periods are nice for getting the transfer window right)... solar power still works...

If we include the OPM, I'd also choose Tekto for the coolness factor.

Mun and Minmus aren't planets btw...

Or I could say kerbin.... I've established another base on kerbin to refuel spaceplanes so I have more options for when to reenter (so they can refuel on site and go back to orbit, or back to KSC)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.