[Stock Watercraft] The Flying Dutchman

4 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Is this a Spongebob reference?

Nope... It's a reference to the real Flying Dutchman ghost ship legend... It could be a Sponge Bob reference if I had called it Spatula... :P

3 hours ago, Matagorda Space Program said:

Yep... that's the Lockheed prototype.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Shadow_(IX-529)

Do you think so?
I based the fuselage on that Russians ekranoplans, but since KSP dosn't simulate ground effect... I made hydrofoils instead...  :P

Edited by luizopiloto

Hey, how did you get it to actually elevate? I'm trying to build a Hydrofoil, It's smaller, but has roughly the same size foils, yet it doesnt rise above the water. About what speed do you need? If it's high, I'm contemplating the use of a liquid rocket boost, then switching over to jets when it goes above the water.

11 hours ago, TronX33 said:

Hey, how did you get it to actually elevate? I'm trying to build a Hydrofoil, It's smaller, but has roughly the same size foils, yet it doesnt rise above the water. About what speed do you need? If it's high, I'm contemplating the use of a liquid rocket boost, then switching over to jets when it goes above the water.

Speed to glide is not that high, depends on craft's mass. Mine does at 35~40m/s and it is pretty heavy.
Craft must have to be well balanced, so it sits flat on water...
And the craft needs power to get to that speed from start. you can add some control surfaces to the keel to make it hydroplane on it's belly first.
The trick to glide are those flaps on the hydrofoils... I even think hydrofoils can be made barely of control surfaces. Disable all the input axes and set an actiongroup to deploy the flaps, and set the flaps authority to something around 50 at first. Flaps deflection amount depends on craft's weight, too much and drag will make the fore go down, too little and it will not glide.
Once the craft starts to slide on it's belly and reach a certain speed, deploy the flaps and it will get aloft...
Flaps deflection angle is very important, you have to adjust it all the time while gliding to not get air-born or crash as the craft burns fuel and get light... You know it needs adjustments when the fore starts to bounce.
Also, both fore and aft hydrofoils needs flaps, not to glide but to be stable...

Edited by luizopiloto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.