Kerbal Powered Flight challenges

K.P.F.

The Kerbal Powered Flight Challenge

To beat the Kerbal Powered Flight Challenge, you must have a machine using the ladder glitch with Kerbals that can propel itself to high speeds, there will be winners for multiple different things such as speed, distance, sustainable altitude, etc.

F.A.Q

-What is the ladder glitch?

The ladder glitch, is a glitch that occurs if a Kerbal is climbing a ladder, and something is blocking him from above where he's climbing, he will then push the vehicle causing acceleration without the use of fuel of any kind, therefore breaking the laws of physics, or KSP in this case.

Rules:

-No cheats

-No hyperedit

-Stock parts only

-No mods that add new parts, change flight mechanics, or mass / weight of the vehicle

-One kerbal per craft

-SAS must only be used to keep the vehicle level whilst the Kerbal powers the vehicle forward

-Must include pictures of the craft

-No external form of acceleration other than the Kerbal

-Probe cores, and batteries + solar panels will be allowed to aim the vehicle in the specified direction, but the kerbal must accelerate the vehicle only.

Categories:

Speed Record (highest achieved speed, including dives)

Land Speed Record (highest speed over land, screenshot with navball showing):

Sea Speed Record (highest speed over water, screenshot with navball showing):

Air Speed Record (highest speed over land in F3 settings, and in atmosphere, with screenshots):

1.) He_162 with 2,055 m/s at 47,000m

Speed Record (In Space): (Highest speed achievable whilst in space)

1.) He_162 with 2,257 m/s

Altitude Record (highest altitude you can fly continuously)

Kerbin:

Duna:

Eve:

Laythe:

Jool?:

Distance record (total distance traveled)

Air:

1.) He_162 with 1,456,052m

Sea:

Winners:

Land:

Winners:

Total:

1.) He_162 with 1,568,923m

Longest Manned Flight:

(No timewarp allowed for this, and must have proof that it took that long, I.E. lots of screenshots, or a video)

Kerbol Challenge:

Fly a kerbal powered vehicle, and land on every planet (that has a surface) with only one launch, one kerbal, and there will be multiple difficulties:

Easy: -(No extra rules)

Winners:

Hard: -No SASOne solar panel

Winners:

BADGE OF COMPLETION:

oakd3pa.png

EXAMPLE OF CRAFT:

Edited by He_162

3 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

Thanks!

Does it work in 1.1.2

WAIT

Don't answer that Question for an answer for a question for an answer for a question for a topic about kerbal powered flight! What?

Indeed it does work

I wonder why the movement of the craft is so much greater than the movement of the Kerbal? It would stand to reason that the craft should only climb as fast as a Kerbal on a ladder, and I don't think that would even be enough 'thrust' to escape Minmus.

12 hours ago, vger said:

I wonder why the movement of the craft is so much greater than the movement of the Kerbal? It would stand to reason that the craft should only climb as fast as a Kerbal on a ladder, and I don't think that would even be enough 'thrust' to escape Minmus.

It's a bug, who knows, at least it's fun to mess around with :D

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Claw said:

Oh nice! There was also another, kerbal powered glider challenge. I loved that one, but unfortunately it didn't catch on. This one is pretty cool too! Good luck :D

You mean @Geschosskopf's challenge back in January? That's what got me hooked on kerbal-powered vehicles. I really hope they never fix that glitch! Which brings me to my question: do you accept pre-1.1 runs? I made my circumnavigation in 1.0.5 and I'd be happy to submit it as my entry.

Edited by Chemp

5 minutes ago, Chemp said:

You mean @Geschosskopf's challenge back in January? That's what got me hooked on kerbal-powered vehicles. I really hope they never fix that glitch! Which brings me to my question: do you accept pre-1.1 runs? I made my circumnavigation back in 1.0.5 and I'd be happy to submit it as my entry.

Yeah, Chemp has circumnaviated Kerbin twice by ladder, once flying and once bicycling :).

Glad to see this challenge getting another go,.  I wish all participants the best of luck and remember you have Chemp's marks to beat :)

1 hour ago, Chemp said:

You mean @Geschosskopf's challenge back in January? That's what got me hooked on kerbal-powered vehicles. I really hope they never fix that glitch! Which brings me to my question: do you accept pre-1.1 runs? I made my circumnavigation in 1.0.5 and I'd be happy to submit it as my entry.

Sure!

Great!

Here's the link to my non-stop circumnaviagtion by air with the Flying Board V: Bill pedals around Kerbin

Sustainable altitude: 27000m
Speed record on level flight: 305m/s
Total time: 4 hours, 38 minutes (minus a minute or so for Bill to climb the tower at the abandoned airfield)
Distance travelled: 6,693,116 meters; I have to put a question mark behind that, since Kerbins circumference is 3770km. For possible explanations please refer to the original post.

And the link to the first and the last post of my ground based circimnavigation on a polar route, this time with Bob. No numbers here, I just thought I'd share :)

I never really managed to leave Kerbin by pure Kerbal power, I'd love to see the designs you guys come up with to make this possible.

Go green, drive and fly by Kerbal power! :wink:

25 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

What did you do to timewarp?

He let go of the ladder and hit the timewarp button instantly afterwards, so the Kerbal and the craft still had the same velocity. Hope you don't mind me answering the question, @Concodroid, I was just watching and noticed that myself, so I was excited to give the answer.

For others that haven't yet, ^ ^ ^ ^ watch that video ^ ^ ^ ^ It's super informative.

The one piece I'll amend is I believe physicless parts now have mass, but that mass is applied at your craft's COM. Just something I found goofing around in 1.05.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.