[1.5.1] PSA Greenhouse for USI Life Support v. 1.5.1 - 2018Nov05

panarchist

New release

2016-06-16 : v1.1.2.4

• Updated / Rebalanced config files for USI-LS
  • Created MM config for UKS
  • Created MM config for CLS
  • Removed extraneous files which should not have been in the release

The main change in this is correcting the base file with Module Manager configurations to convert the stats over to the UKS version if UKS is installed.  CLS has been broken out into it's own config file.  The PSA greenhouses were "underpowered" in terms of Supplies output compared to the USI parts, and also "underpowered" in terms of EC draw.

If you have USI-LS installed, the 2.5m greenhouse is equivalent to the Nom-O-Matic 25000.  The 3.75m greenhouse is 3x the mass and 3x the performance.

If you have UKS installed, the 2.5m greenhouse is 1/3 larger / more productive than the OKS Ag Module.  The 3.75m greenhouse is 3x the mass and productivity.  Be advised that modifiers for workspace and living space in UKS mean that the performance is highly variable, as is the power draw.

Both of these are power hogs - in USI-LS, the 2.5m draws 20 EC/s, and the 3.5m draws a whopping 60 EC/s.  If you're putting the 3.5m on a station, use some BIG solar panels, or put a USI fission reactor up there on that station.  Just sayin'.

Edited by panarchist
expound

@panarchist

Good update...

But did you remember to add back in the solar panels? I see a lot of rising power bills in this here update, would be nice if I had a way to generate some power on site to offset them some what....:D

--

Took the liberty of opening an issue on Github about it to help you remember, since you seem the Github type.:)

Cheers.

Edited by Deimos Rast

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

@panarchistBut did you remember to add back in the solar panels? I see a lot of rising power bills in this here update, would be nice if I had a way to generate some power on site to offset them some what....:D

Do you remember the stats or any of the details?  I don't remember where they're supposed to be - the model doesn't appear to show them, and while I remember it, it's been a while.

14 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

@panarchist what is the parts used in the picture with the greenhouse?

To the right of it: Kerbal Planetary Base Systems Command Center

Attached to it: one of the Goo chem lights from KSOS: Space Station

To the left of it: The following parts / mods

Orbital workshop module from USI Kolonization Systems
SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor from SCANSat
2.5M Node from Kerbodyne+
CommTech-1 and Reflectron DP-10 antennae from RemoteTech
CompoMax Radial Tubeless k-OS autopilot from kOS
various stock parts, some size-altered with Tweakscale

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

To the right of it: Kerbal Planetary Base Systems Command Center

Attached to it: one of the Goo chem lights from KSOS: Space Station

To the left of it: The following parts / mods

Orbital workshop module from USI Kolonization Systems
SCAN RADAR Altimetry Sensor from SCANSat
2.5M Node from Kerbodyne+
CommTech-1 and Reflectron DP-10 antennae from RemoteTech
CompoMax Radial Tubeless k-OS autopilot from kOS
various stock parts, some size-altered with Tweakscale

thanks, will do, I hope to be able to build a ship similar

16 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

thanks, will do, I hope to be able to build a ship similar

The ship I posted on Kerbal-X uses 14 different mods.  I'd normally recommend shaving that down to 5 or 6 mods, tops.  I use UKS as my colonization mod, Kerbodyne+ for heavy lift capacity, DMagic Science, SCANSat, and Remote Tech for all my science and communications, Darkside Technologies for the deep space components, and KBPS just because it looks cool - and I'd consider those my "must-have" mods that have parts.  That's 8 mods already, plus I have a number of one-off parts from several mods, including this one which was basically created just so that I could use the ZZZ greenhouse part again with my current LS mods.

Oh, and RoverDude's Nuclear Rockets (Orion) mod, which is necessary for any interstellar mission that isn't using a warp drive.

Good luck!  I think the deep space ships are some of the most fun to build.

• 6 months later...

@panarchist

Hi

sir, although i know that rover dude never liked the idea of having a real closed cycle system for life support, but, using kopernicus and some mods related to it, you may end up with space stations that would go on a very far way. can you please provide a single part that would work in a way that would make the USI LS closed cycle for space stations? i would really appreciate such a thing. also, a question, let's say I have a 2.5 version on a station, how many kerbals will it support by itself?

thanks

@Jiraiyah - RoverDude just made a bunch of changes with MKS and USI-LS, and I'm waiting on him to release the latest guidelines on settings.  I'll be taking a look at the latest changes in the next week or so to reverse-engineer what's changed if there aren't new guidelines.  I might be able to put together an alternate configuration for people wanting to go true closed-cycle.\

It's hard to say how many Kerbals would be supported by the 2.5 or 3.75m versions - they are subject to all of the USI-LS game mechanics, so it depends on whether they are crewed, how many crew are on the vessel, what level of scientist you have on board, etc.  

6 hours ago, panarchist said:

@Jiraiyah - RoverDude just made a bunch of changes with MKS and USI-LS, and I'm waiting on him to release the latest guidelines on settings.  I'll be taking a look at the latest changes in the next week or so to reverse-engineer what's changed if there aren't new guidelines.  I might be able to put together an alternate configuration for people wanting to go true closed-cycle.\

It's hard to say how many Kerbals would be supported by the 2.5 or 3.75m versions - they are subject to all of the USI-LS game mechanics, so it depends on whether they are crewed, how many crew are on the vessel, what level of scientist you have on board, etc.  

first of all, thanks,

about the kerbal count, seti had the 2.5 per kerbal and 3.75 would support 2 or 3 kerbals I think. Also, having optional settings for people like me that want to go closed cycle is a nice way for it. thanks again

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2017 at 1:07 AM, Jiraiyah said:

first of all, thanks,

about the kerbal count, seti had the 2.5 per kerbal and 3.75 would support 2 or 3 kerbals I think. Also, having optional settings for people like me that want to go closed cycle is a nice way for it. thanks again

Currently, USI-LS is something like 90% closed - 10 Mulch + 1 Fertilizer = 11 Supplies.  I'll create an alternate config for those who want to be full closed-cycle.  It might be another week before I get that done, because it's taking me time to get the release out due to other adds.

On 1/15/2017 at 8:50 PM, /not/pol/ said:

any chance for Snacks! support.

@/not/pol/ - I'm planning to release Snacks and TAC-LS compatibility within the next week.

@Deimos Rast - Now I remember, the Biomass had a "solar panel" as part of the mod because there was no other way to differentiate between ElectricCharge needed if there was no sun, and if there was sun.  I think I can get that added back in.

All who are interested - Now that RoverDude has released the USI-LS guidelines (post-rebalance), I am working on this again.  Hoping to have it released on Github and Spacedock by the end of next weekend, but it depends on how busy things get with my day job this week.

• 7 months later...

@Deimos Rast - So, I've started updating this, and I delved back into the old Biomass mod to see how they implemented that solar panel. Biomass had the solar panel produce light, and EC produce light, and did all the TAC-LS food conversion using light, biomass, and whatever. I was thinking about doing something similar, but in order to keep things simple, I might just stick with producing EC - but I don't like that so much since it's actually simulating light on the plants, which can't be used for other things the way EC can.

I remember there was an issue with the panels, and I don't know how to fix it. The issue is that the panel tracking is not aligned to the correct direction. If I can somehow fix that, and get a few other things updated, then I think I am pretty close to a release with updated USI-LS compatibility.

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2017 at 1:51 AM, panarchist said:

@Deimos Rast - So, I've started updating this, and I delved back into the old Biomass mod to see how they implemented that solar panel. Biomass had the solar panel produce light, and EC produce light, and did all the TAC-LS food conversion using light, biomass, and whatever. I was thinking about doing something similar, but in order to keep things simple, I might just stick with producing EC - but I don't like that so much since it's actually simulating light on the plants, which can't be used for other things the way EC can.

I remember there was an issue with the panels, and I don't know how to fix it. The issue is that the panel tracking is not aligned to the correct direction. If I can somehow fix that, and get a few other things updated, then I think I am pretty close to a release with updated USI-LS compatibility.

Hi, don't want to be rude, but any update on the balance release you posted in the OP page? and would it have the option for closed cycle on USI?

1 minute ago, Jiraiyah said:

Hi, don't want to be rude, but any update on the balance release you posted in the OP page? and would it have the option for closed cycle on USI?

Hi @Jiraiyah - I'm hoping to get back to it soon, I haven't been Kerballing lately due to family stuff and writing a novel for NaNoWriMo. Currently, I have draft config files for USI-LS, TAC-LS, and Snacks. I'm not planning on doing Kerbalism since they already have a greenhouse which last I checked was using zzz's model also. The draft configs don't appear to be correctly balanced, and it's likely I will need some community feedback to make them so. I'll see what I can do about posting an updated testing copy in-thread (i.e. on Github) soon (TM) so that those who are interested can try it out and provide feedback.

note - "soon" means either this weekend, or the following one right before Christmas.

• 10 months later...

So... after 2 years since the release, I'm prepping for a 1.5.1 release. See the dev thread in my sig for details. Planned support is USI-LS, TAC-LS, and Snacks. The 2.5m greenhouse is sized to support 1 kerbal, the 3.75m is sized to support 3 kerbals.

2018-10-05 : v1.5.1

• Updated config files for KSP 1.5.1
  • Updated MM config files
  • Added support for TAC-LS and Snacks

The main change in this version is the addition of support for TAC-LS and Snacks. It is HIGHLY LIKELY that both will need a balancing pass and that there will be another release in the near future - so I advise trying this out in a test save before planning your deep space mission around it. Also please note that the EC requirements are now "realistic", meaning HIGH. EC is converted to "Light" - "Light" is normally provided by opening the doors on the hab and pointing it towards the sun. Kind of like in real life.  ;-)

Again, it's HIGHLY LIKELY something in here is not working right, so feedback is not only welcome but encouraged so I can fix any issues. Thanks.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:53 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Did you consider in adding Kerbalism support, too?

But wait - could is even perhaps be that this model is similar to the one used in Kerbalism?
I'm not sure ...

Kerbalism uses the same model I use - the model designed by "zzz" 4 or 5 years ago and originally released with KSP Interstellar. I wasn't planning to add Kerbalism support unless someone has a compelling reason to - i.e. if the underlying game mechanics for my part were different enough to make it worthwhile to those who use Kerbalism.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In the USI LS config, in the PSA Greenhouse25 section (around line 43), this section is repeated twice:

MODULE
    {
        name = MKSModule
        eTag = Greenhouse
        eMultiplier = 1.505
        BonusEffect = ScienceBoost    
    }

No biggie, but thought you should know.

• 1 month later...

Hi there - I got a problem

Have been trying to get this greenhouse to show up in my game, but I just cannot find the dang thing

I think it should be under utility IIRC?

But I am just not seeing it anywhere

I made a fresh install of 1.6 running just USI LS and this, but still cannot see the greenhouse under any of the tabs (running a sandbox save)

I do have a feeling I may have done something wrong at some point

Or is it just that neither mod should really be running in 1.6?

Anyone else had this problem?

PS

I am aware that I am trying to get two mods to work, neither of which has been optimised for 1.6, but I thought I would give it a go.

So I ask this question in case anybody else out there has had a similar problem, and/or found a solution :-)

1 hour ago, max-peck said:

Hi there - I got a problem

Have been trying to get this greenhouse to show up in my game, but I just cannot find the dang thing

I think it should be under utility IIRC?

But I am just not seeing it anywhere

I made a fresh install of 1.6 running just USI LS and this, but still cannot see the greenhouse under any of the tabs (running a sandbox save)

I do have a feeling I may have done something wrong at some point

Or is it just that neither mod should really be running in 1.6?

Anyone else had this problem?

PS

I am aware that I am trying to get two mods to work, neither of which has been optimised for 1.6, but I thought I would give it a go.

So I ask this question in case anybody else out there has had a similar problem, and/or found a solution :-)

I'll see if I can fire it up tonight and see what's up. It's possible that 1.6 changed something in the categories for the editor. It *was* under "Utility".

36 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I'll see if I can fire it up tonight and see what's up. It's possible that 1.6 changed something in the categories for the editor. It *was* under "Utility".

Ok, so what's happened is that I've never updated the tech tree location at all, and it's using the format that several of the older mods that used the model utilized - which dates back to 0.24 or something like that. I'm pretty sure that KSP dropped support for the old method in the change from 1.5.x to 1.6.x because everyone and their grandma has already moved to something more recent and more CCK-friendly. I need to learn how to do the new format, which I will read up on or pester someone in the mod forum threads to help me out, and I can get this updated probably tomorrow - barring any serious craziness in my day job. Thanks for catching this and pointing it out, @max-peck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.