Interstellar Extended for Dummies

Nansuchao

I'm having a lot of trouble making an SSTO out of the standalone nuclear air breathing engines.

I've gotten several attempts onto lko with enough liquid fuel to come back, but every time I launch I can tell that I'm getting the ascent profile wrong. These things don't behave quite like any other air breathing engines and the relationship between air and thrust seems more delicate than with other engines. 

What's the sweet spot for these and what type of profile should I be developing? Again my planes can make orbit and they can achieve good speed in atmo mode, but something is just off in my ascent and I feel like I'm not switching to fuel at the right altitude. 

35 minutes ago, RentedTritium said:

I'm having a lot of trouble making an SSTO out of the standalone nuclear air breathing engines.

I've gotten several attempts onto lko with enough liquid fuel to come back, but every time I launch I can tell that I'm getting the ascent profile wrong. These things don't behave quite like any other air breathing engines and the relationship between air and thrust seems more delicate than with other engines. 

What's the sweet spot for these and what type of profile should I be developing? Again my planes can make orbit and they can achieve good speed in atmo mode, but something is just off in my ascent and I feel like I'm not switching to fuel at the right altitude. 

I agree, their behavior is weird, they have good static thrust but not so much in flight. 

I, to make good spaceplanes, try to have a TWR at liftoff bigger than 1.6.

I can suggest, if you're able to tweak the .cfg related to the air breathing thermal engines, to change them in a more realistic way and propose the change in the main Interstellar thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, Nansuchao said:

I agree, their behavior is weird, they have good static thrust but not so much in flight. 

I, to make good spaceplanes, try to have a TWR at liftoff bigger than 1.6.

I can suggest, if you're able to tweak the .cfg related to the air breathing thermal engines, to change them in a more realistic way and propose the change in the main Interstellar thread.

They do behave exactly like a thermal turbo would tho, and a twr of 1.6 is totally ott for spaceplane purposes.

39 minutes ago, Palaceviking said:

They do behave exactly like a thermal turbo would tho, and a twr of 1.6 is totally ott for spaceplane purposes.

With a lower TWR, you'll not be able to break the sound barrier at 10km. The TTJ begin to loose thrust right after the lift-off.

On 7/11/2016 at 7:12 AM, sdrevik said:

On another point, I can't figure out reactors- the tutorial videos say strap a reactor to a generator, some radiators for the waste heat, and the thing should generate power.  It doesn't, it just sits there, says thermal output is zero, no electrical output.  I have tried with various fission and fusion reactors (I recall one video talking about having to 'jump start' a fusion reactor with another reactor, so I switched to try fission reactors.  Nada, nothing.   

I am running no other mods other than MechJeb and IE.

I had this stumbling block understanding reactors/generators too. Turns out that unless you connect something to use/transmit the power generated, then the system scaled the power output down. Add a transmitter and turn it on, you'll see the difference!

I have a probably trivial question regarding nuclear reactors, do I have to get rid of the Xenon gas that's produced. I've noticed that the molten salt generator produces a small amount of xenon gas and has a tiny tank for it. What happens when this tank is full, does it shut down, or will it simply went the gas?

54 minutes ago, Mjarf said:

I have a probably trivial question regarding nuclear reactors, do I have to get rid of the Xenon gas that's produced. I've noticed that the molten salt generator produces a small amount of xenon gas and has a tiny tank for it. What happens when this tank is full, does it shut down, or will it simply went the gas?

The Xenon gas will just be vented. Why are you trying to get rid of that gas? The amount stored is really minuscule.

8 hours ago, Mjarf said:

I was just worried that it might somehow compromise the reactor performance. Thanks for the quick reply. :D

No, just the Actinides will ruin your reactor, but years are needed for a significant damage. The Molten Salt is a reactor you can launch and forget.

• 4 weeks later...

So I watched a few of these videos and on the first and 2nd researched nuclear engines (candle and solid core nuclear engine) I am getting hundreds of Dv when using Hydrogen fuel with them, but when I switch it to LF I get thousands of Dv.  Why is this?  I can clearly see a much higher ISP when using the right fuel, but engineer/mechjeb Dv stats aren't reading them right.  I even took a probe with one of these attached and got only 600 ish Dv when used with Hydrogen.  Am I doing this wrong?  Whats the point of these new engines and higher ISPs if you can't go anywhere with them?

1 hour ago, ttussok said:

So I watched a few of these videos and on the first and 2nd researched nuclear engines (candle and solid core nuclear engine) I am getting hundreds of Dv when using Hydrogen fuel with them, but when I switch it to LF I get thousands of Dv.  Why is this?  I can clearly see a much higher ISP when using the right fuel, but engineer/mechjeb Dv stats aren't reading them right.  I even took a probe with one of these attached and got only 600 ish Dv when used with Hydrogen.  Am I doing this wrong?  Whats the point of these new engines and higher ISPs if you can't go anywhere with them?

Hydrogen is the best propellant, ISP wise, but it has the lower density of all propellants, so, to obtain the best of it, you need bigger tanks. Later in the tech tree, you'll unlock the ability to use other propellants and to scoop fuel from the atmosphere.

6 hours ago, ttussok said:

Make sure to compare the same weights of the fuel, not the same volume.  You are probably comparing 15t of liquidfuel to 0.5t of hydrogen.

Incidentally on that note, I'm having trouble with power management.  I have 3  solid core nuclear engines below a stack of interstellar fuel tanks with hydrogen, and a couple of droptanks, but power output is zero, so the hydrogen is boiling off.

https://goo.gl/photos/YTLhi5HP6ZvKufE56

See the power is zero and all electrical power drains in a few seconds.  Reactor control window shows power output but it's not working?  (I am aware of the droptanks not having cryo, but even the cryo tanks were draining.)

So I ran a couple tests:

https://goo.gl/photos/jBUZ2VrhNPYNbkFm8

This is just the three reactor engines with 1 stack of tanks, see on this one no power, but no electrical drain.  I time warped 4 hours just to see, and it only drains LH during fast time warps, but not electrical....

Finally:

https://goo.gl/photos/cmFtXpbjv2xpUao46

Same ship just 1 tank and 1 reactor.  No power still but no drain whatsoever.  

This mod seems all over the place and is not consistent.  What am I missing here?

Thanks! 

On 25-12-2016 at 11:17 PM, Nansuchao said:

The Xenon gas will just be vented. Why are you trying to get rid of that gas? The amount stored is really minuscule.

Xenon is a real bonus resource for Molten Salt reactor. It theoretically can make a vessel that run out propellant that little of bit proellant to return home. It would take a very long time though ...

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 months later...

So I am not sure folks still chat about this mod, but I am having an absolute hell of a time figuring this stuff out. 

Firstly it seems all the transmitters and receivers are far too large for small probes.

I am attempting to get the "attila" working while attached to the rear of a mk 2 thermal receiver. I have power transmitted to it from a microwave setup, and it is receiving it. If I set infinite electricity it fires off full force, but no ammount of power capacitors will make it run. I am missing something I am certain. anyone know what it might be?

4 minutes ago, baconfortress said:

So I am not sure folks still chat about this mod, but I am having an absolute hell of a time figuring this stuff out. 

Firstly it seems all the transmitters and receivers are far too large for small probes.

I am attempting to get the "attila" working while attached to the rear of a mk 2 thermal receiver. I have power transmitted to it from a microwave setup, and it is receiving it. If I set infinite electricity it fires off full force, but no ammount of power capacitors will make it run. I am missing something I am certain. anyone know what it might be?

Can you post a pic of your ship? In this guide I just cover the engines, not reactor and absolutely not the microwave system. However, if I remember correctly, the Thermal receiver will just receive Thermal POwer, but the ATILLA needs charged particles to work.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I was wondering on how to use laser emitters with KSP-IE. Are they similar to microwave?

Another point is the PVC thruster, how to use it? Could you post some pictures of a working rocket with PVC thruster?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. I have a question that's not about the engines from KSPI-E, but hopefully someone can clear up it up for me or point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for. I've looked at all the guides I could find and searched the forums, but keep coming up empty.

My question relates to contracts in career mode which I assume come from KSPI-E since I never saw them before installing this mod. They are contracts of the "Research <blank> at <blank>" type. If I take these contracts I can achieve all the objectives just by going to the specified location, i.e. orbiting Kerbin or the Mun, except one objective, "Complete the experiment" remains incomplete. I'm not sure what precisely the experiment is, or how to complete it. It doesn't seem to be a special part that I need to take along, since I complete the "Transport experiment to <blank>" objective with any craft.

It occurs to me that maybe there's some other mod these contracts mesh in with that I don't have. Has anyone run into this same issue?

7 minutes ago, Lucas Kerman said:

Hi folks. I have a question that's not about the engines from KSPI-E, but hopefully someone can clear up it up for me or point me in the right direction to find what I'm looking for. I've looked at all the guides I could find and searched the forums, but keep coming up empty.

My question relates to contracts in career mode which I assume come from KSPI-E since I never saw them before installing this mod. They are contracts of the "Research <blank> at <blank>" type. If I take these contracts I can achieve all the objectives just by going to the specified location, i.e. orbiting Kerbin or the Mun, except one objective, "Complete the experiment" remains incomplete. I'm not sure what precisely the experiment is, or how to complete it. It doesn't seem to be a special part that I need to take along, since I complete the "Transport experiment to <blank>" objective with any craft.

It occurs to me that maybe there's some other mod these contracts mesh in with that I don't have. Has anyone run into this same issue?

There aren't contracts with or for Interstellar Extended, and I'm not sure that all of the parts are supported by career. Only @FreeThinker can answer your question.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:32 PM, paelleon said:

Hi, I was wondering on how to use laser emitters with KSP-IE. Are they similar to microwave?

Another point is the PVC thruster, how to use it? Could you post some pictures of a working rocket with PVC thruster?

Thank you.

The old microwave system is now replaced with a more advanced and realistic system. You need to have a power source, a Gyrotron or other parts that converts your energy in one of the available bands and an antenna to transmit the waves.

What is a PVC thruster?

The old microwave system is now replaced with a more advanced and realistic system. You need to have a power source, a Gyrotron or other parts that converts your energy in one of the available bands and an antenna to transmit the waves.

What is a PVC thruster?

Ok, I was asking how lasers can be used? Are they used to transmitt energy just like microwaves?
The PVC thruster I was referring is the Ablative Laser Nozzle, how can I use it? Do I have to equip the rocket with a laser pointed at it or, just like thermal rockets, I need to place a powerful laser transmitter near the launchpad?

3 hours ago, paelleon said:

Ok, I was asking how lasers can be used? Are they used to transmitt energy just like microwaves?
The PVC thruster I was referring is the Ablative Laser Nozzle, how can I use it? Do I have to equip the rocket with a laser pointed at it or, just like thermal rockets, I need to place a powerful laser transmitter near the launchpad?

Yes, they trasmit energy on the chosed wavelenght.

The Ablative Laser Nozzle is an engine/receiver for energy. Give it enough energy and it will produce thrust.

Hello! I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. I am trying to build a small to medium sized warp ship and I am trying to use the IXS Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor as the main reactor. When I try to attach a Thermoelectic Generator however, the mass of the generator jumps from 6 to 50 tons. Is that normal?

I read people having issues with the generators jumping to enormous weights, but also saw that was fixed in a previous release. Is anyone else having similar issues? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.