have you ever had to get out and push?

crasher925

I was doing my Jool 5... it ended up being a Jool 4 (come on, Vall) but my Tylo lander had used up more fuel than I expected and I was low before landing. Long story short, I ended up in a 25 by 4 orbit and I got out and pushed. Good thing I jettisoned the science and only brought 2 kerbals instead of 4! (they are in EVA seats).

I've done it in past versions, in early phases of my rocketry program. Lots. And successfully. I've found it much harder to do in current versions of KSP though, where the stabilization is turned off when the pilot exits the vehicle. Now its much more difficult as the craft oscillates all over the place when trying to push it on retrograde. Crazy.

Nope, I usually pack more fuel than I need. But one time on my new Mun return vehicle the staging was wrong so I had 1/5 of the fuel left. I had my kerbal go to my fuel station above the Mun.

It's usually only when returning to kerbin and after getting into an orbit.  Good thing is that I'll usually have a pretty elliptic orbit and only need a couple Eva's to bring my periapsis into the atmosphere.  Once periapsis is below 60km I'll just wait out the grind(warp through space and and physical  warp through the atmosphere) untill I get an orbit that will reenter.  If my orbit is roughly circular before trying to return, then its my own fault for wasting dv when I could have the atmosphere slow me down

New save in new version (1.0.2 i think?), early in the tech tree, Jeb had just planted a flag on the Mun, bragging about getting there first. Unfortunately he ran out of fuel with a Perikee at ~100Km, and the rest had to be done by hand. Valentina proceeded to plant a flag on the Mun saying something along the lines of not having to push.

I also manually deorbited a transfer stage I had around Tylo. It was supposed to crash on its own, but i ran out of fuel just before i got the periapsis low enough. It turned out, after decaupling, that the periapsis was barely skimming the tylo surface, so one of my kerbals met the debris at apoapsis and slightly nudged it retrograde so that it could collide as intended.

Did it in beta, hope you have full heat shields when coming in with a PE>60km (I was really tired of pushing).

More likely, I've jettisoned my engine "early" and have taken some really long re-entries.  Especially those "lets bring an extra stage back home" re-entries.

In Space I think I have only had to get out and push once(returning from the Mun, pushed to get Pe low enough to eventually reenter), around KSC, I push my rovers backwards all the time after I have nosed them up to a building to get data from that building's biome.  (I generally only have KSC science rovers before I have powered rover wheels, so pushing backwards with the pilot is the intended reverse gear).

Frequently, especially in new career games when my part options are limited and I make a slight miscalculation of remaining delta-v.  Usually I only need just enough to get into the upper atmosphere, friction will handle the rest.

It almost makes me wish Kerbals could use their EVA packs while still gripping surfaces.  If nothing else, it would at least make wrestling debris into cargo holds for retrieval contracts easier.  

I did it on a Mun mission many versions ago, not having heard of it, so not knowing it would actually work.  There was nothing else to try, and I was really close.  The thrill upon realizing that I had actually pushed the capsule into a capture and saved my kerbal was on par with my first (non-explosive) Mun landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.