STOCK Fully Functional Rubik's Cube

I've started work on a smoother, more usable design. A few of the overhauls:

• Less part count! I'm ditching a lot of unnecessary panels, and the bearings have a much lower part count because they are...
  • Fairing bearings! These are stronger, faster, and sturdier than strut-and-solar panel bearings, as well as having a lot less parts.
  • Inline docking port attachments! This ties in to the reason I am abandoning so many panel pieces. The docking ports will be attached to only the face pieces, using the Offset tool and I am also using Snap mode whenever I can to make sure that they are much better aligned this time around!

Here is a sneak peek of what I am working on:

fMlvMRY.jpg

Here is a test of the cube, with some parts removed to show the inside better but still keeping the functionality of the full cube:

This test showed that this cube will actually be usable! It's much smoother, and even though there was a lockup it was easy to fix, even when I've tried the same method on the first one to no avail. What's more, while the first cube came in at nearly 700 parts, this one will have only 247 fully stickered! I'll have it done and ready to download tomorrow. I'm really optimistic about this one!

...today I humble myself in front of the master of all things rubik and kerbal [by not using caps at all].

There are no words to describe how totally AWESOME this is, so I will create a new word: UheRgaAtappENhASt. It means Awesome3. Pronounced "Who-Er-Ga-Top-En-Hast.

Now... for the ULTIMATE challenge!

Spoiler

I dare you to make this. If you do, I offer my eternal reputation:

maxresdefault.jpg

In all seriousness, great job! I don't think I would have the patience to make this work... or the computer to handle 700+parts. My biggest station is only 400... I should make one of your cubes into a space station! Except, Asteroid sized!

EDIT: Goes through thread and likes every post then runs out of likes.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

19 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hide contents

I dare you to make this. If you do, I offer my eternal reputation:

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you kidding me? That thing has several thousand parts in real life! I could make a 4x4, but a 17x17 has too many parts, unless you want to run KSP on one of NASA's supercomputers. Also, you're a bit out of date; the latest world record is 22x22.

22x22-rubiks-cube-world-record-03.jpg

In all seriousness, great job! I don't think I would have the patience to make this work... or the computer to handle 700+parts. My biggest station is only 400... I should make one of your cubes into a space station! Except, Asteroid sized!

It actually wasn't quite up to 700, it was more like 670 or so. The next version will be much more manageable and better in general. I'm thinking of constructing a 2x2 afterwards!

EDIT: Goes through thread and likes every post then runs out of likes.

I noticed...

Edited by cubinator

24 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Outstanding. I was out of likes when I first saw it, but Spacecraft Friday reminded me to give it another look. :) 

Where is that? I've heard of Spacecraft Friday, but I've never seen it.

Edit: nvm I see the thread now.

Edited by cubinator

• 3 weeks later...

It's finally here! Rubik's Cube 2! This one was aligned with lots of Snap mode in the VAB, so it is actually usable! Here is a screenshot proving all faces can be manipulated:

yPM4uwe.jpg

It's reasonably easy to use, as long as you don't look at it the wrong way. Here is the download link:

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/4UvwYgFt/file.html

Let me know (a) how well the download works, (b) if you experience the "quantum entanglement" bug, and (c) how well it works in 1.1.3 as I built and tested it in 1.0.5. Here is a challenge for those who wish to solve it:

Edited by cubinator
challenge

4 hours ago, Jeb-head-mug kerman said:

Great! Model. Tip: you should try using kerb paint if you don't mind mods that would actually help the cube. Kerb paint allows you to paint stuff!

Hasn't Kerbpaint been neglected since, like, 0.24? I know about it, and it would be useful, but I'm going full stock. I don't mind a few more parts, and if I really needed to I could leave one face blank and call it a V-Kube. I know there are lots of mods that would make it easier, like Infernal Robotics, but my point is that when the devs at Squad thought they were making a rocket game, they were actually making a Rubik's cube simulator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bow before our new cubic overlord!

Seriously, you guys make me feel like I have a sub 20 I.Q.

Between walking robots, the Will it Blend blender, Spaceballs robot maid, rocket powered Bender, the zero gravity t-handle and now a WORKING Rubics Cube..........This community continually amazes me even after all these years.

I always thought I could think outside the box, here, I realize I've never even seen the edges of the box.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.