FASTCORP Autogarage - Real Cars for KSP!

SSiDTS2.png

Real Cars for KSP!

Hey there!

FASTCORP is back once again with a brand new mod: the Autogarage!

The Autogarage is a compilation of real-life vehicles converted for use in KSP!

I don't know if you got the memo, fast_de_la_speed, but it's Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Auto Program!

Yes, of course. I knew that. However, I felt that it would be excellent if I could have a way to pick up landed Kerbals too close to pick up by plane and too far to walk. Also, it's for speedily tackling those long off- (or on-) Kerbin rover trips in style.

So tell me more about this mod.

Certainly! First off, none of the vehicles in the first release are originally created. They are converted from to KSP, from GTA format (or others), and used with proper permission.

Take a look at the albums to check out the vehicles.

Forums wont embed for some stupid reason so just click the links to be taken to the page

Release 1

Release 2

Release 3

Most of these vehicles have alternate textures, using FSTextureSwitch from Firespitter. Almost all of the vehicles have an internal model, and most of them have a functional steering wheel, speedometer, fuel meter, and a car key, using RasterPropMonitor. The key is used to turn on the "engine", which works just like the Rovers'N'Roadsters mod. The Jeep Wrangler does not have any internal props at the moment.

Most vehicles have toggleable headlights and work great at night.

If you have TextureReplacer installed, vehicle side mirrors will have world reflections!

What's New:

All tires have been moved to the new "ground" category.

Mach 5 model looks smoother.

Vehicles added:

Porsche 944 Turbo, VW Bus, Tesla, KITT, a Crown Victoria, F-1 1949, Corvette '59, BMW GTR, the Ecto 1, and a large Peterbilt truck.

Last major update, bug fixes and compatibility updates from now on. Totalling exactly 200mb, this is the largest mod i have created.

Nov 23rd update:

changed the configs to allow tires to be unlocked at the start

Prerequisites (1.1 ONLY!)

Spoiler

Want to play with the mod? You've got some stuff to do first.

Firstly, find your settings.cfg file in your KSP directory, and open it. Find the lines:

WHEEL_CLIP_OFFSET = 
WHEEL_CLIP_RANGE = 
WHEEL_CLIP_MULTIPLIER = 

and change every value to 0, like so:

WHEEL_CLIP_OFFSET = 0
WHEEL_CLIP_RANGE = 0
WHEEL_CLIP_MULTIPLIER = 0

This is a critical step as the car wheels do not work with the standard values. This is because KSP creates a collision radius around a wheel that detects if the wheel is "blocked", say, inside a fairing or retracted. With these cars, the wheel is naturally too close to the car collision and the result is a wheel that is always "blocked", and therefore unusable.

Now that you've done that, you need the dependent mods. (except Firespitter, that's already included)

Download

Download RasterPropMonitor for functioning steering wheels, car keys, and dashboards, Firespitter for colour changing, and Texture Replacer for reflective mirrors.

Spacedock

MEGA

MEGA - Singular downloads

Anything else?

Yes! Please remember to press the 'S' key right after selecting a tire in the SPH, or the tire will be rotated incorrectly and not work.

b6tZWNA.png

Also, because KSP is not made for vessels such as cars, the tires will have wonky physics in certain situations!

Lastly, think being able to drive a Corvette on the Mun is ridiculous? Simply go into the "body.cfg" of the vehicle and remove the '//' from each line in INPUT_RESOURCE:

Remove these
		vv
		//INPUT_RESOURCE
		//{
		//	name = IntakeAir
		//	rate = 0.0005
		//}

License

This mod is licensed under CC-BY-NC-ND.

88x31.png

Edited by fast_de_la_speed

I suggest using IntakeAir like an intake and have that used for power, or intake + liquid fuel, it is possible to do. For your wheel blocked issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is an ignore wheel collider tag for the config. Never mind, I keep looking for a reference but can't find anything. I must have imagined it.

Edited by Eskandare

22 hours ago, Eskandare said:

I suggest using IntakeAir like an intake and have that used for power, or intake + liquid fuel, it is possible to do. For your wheel blocked issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is an ignore wheel collider tag for the config. Never mind, I keep looking for a reference but can't find anything. I must have imagined it.

If you look at the OP, I simply commented out the line in every car that makes the cars require intake air in the cfg. It's all functional, you just have to uncomment it. As for the wheelcollider thing, it does not work. the only solution is changing the values in the config (which sucks)

22 hours ago, Concodroid said:

Can you please add the Ariel Atom? I've been looking for a game that has it and this is the perfect opportunity. It's really cool!

I'll try and see if I can find a model for the Atom. :)

Edited by fast_de_la_speed

1 hour ago, Eskandare said:

I rescaled the models to 0.80 which is 65%, is there a way to rescale the internals. I really like the models.

Nope, not yet. I'll be rescaling the models down to that in the next release, which will come in a bit because I've got exams to study for.

13 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Mach 5 pls? :)

LOL, sure :D 

17 hours ago, FailingKerbal123 said:

i downloaded the mod and rasper interior thing, and I followed instructions, I double checked, and I played but I don't se ethe cars in SPH or VAB is it because of other mods?

If you need some help please PM me so there's no thread spam :)

21 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

congrats on Modding Monday!

Thanks! It was such a surprise!

I was just thinking about trying to make something like this! Now I don't have to ;P

I was dreading dealing with the wheels in the current state though. Hopefully 1.1.3 (which I expect soon) will have a better solution to your collider problem.

I really like the variety of vehicles, but any chance of a pickup truck? (I'm aware that you are limited by which models you can get permission to use.)

1 hour ago, Cultist_O said:

I was just thinking about trying to make something like this! Now I don't have to ;P

I was dreading dealing with the wheels in the current state though. Hopefully 1.1.3 (which I expect soon) will have a better solution to your collider problem.

I really like the variety of vehicles, but any chance of a pickup truck? (I'm aware that you are limited by which models you can get permission to use.)

Ah... an update... I think we all expect one soon :sticktongue:

Is there any specific model of pickup truck you'd like? there's tons and tons of models available to download :)

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Omg is this for real?! :0.0:

:wink:

Spoiler

2ZWnhsI.png

4 hours ago, fast_de_la_speed said:

Ah... an update... I think we all expect one soon :sticktongue:

Is there any specific model of pickup truck you'd like? there's tons and tons of models available to download :)

Well I own a red 2008 Ford Ranger, so that would be amazing, but something like an F150 would probably be closer to what the average player would expect.

Edit: And I guess there's the update. I don't know why I thought the wheel fixes were expected for 1.1.3. They are expected for 1.2

Edited by Cultist_O

9 hours ago, fast_de_la_speed said:

open settings.cfg in your favourite text editor

ctrl-f

type "wheel" (without quotes)

press enter

it should find it :):):)

Sorry, but where is settings.cfg located? I mean, I can find "settings.cfg.bak"...

EDIT: Windows copied files over incorrectly, I have it now!

Edited by Concodroid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.