FASTCORP Autogarage - Real Cars for KSP!

4 hours ago, Madrias said:

snibbidy snab

thanks for such an in depth review! glad I can make someone's KSP experience better than before. I try to make the best out of the ungodly new wheel system in 1.1, and I'm glad you think I've somewhat overcome that disastrous hump. I've also had the generator idea, as well as a jerry can, but it never came into fruition... :D

The generator's actually fairly easy to put in the vehicles, it's just another generator module, with the output resource set to LiquidFuel, and the amount generated set (in my setup) to 1/2 of the amount needed for the Engine to work.

I'm actually really liking these new wheels and vehicles.  The roll torque is just about perfect, and while I've beached a couple vehicles (I've learned not to drive slowly over sharp changes in terrain, as it's very easy to high-center a lot of different vehicles that way), I've yet to have one land on the roof and be undrivable.  Usually, I take the fun little tumble down a hill, end up on the roof, and hold Q or E until I roll onto the wheels.

Haven't tested the Atom yet, but it looks like fun.  A little EVA seat road rocket.  Actually glad to see essentially what makes a pre-built rover in this.  After all, your wheels seem to do well on a lot of different terrain, so one of the things in the back of my mind is to go drive an Atom around the Mün at some point.  The other thing I really want to do is off-roading on Eve.

On 6/14/2016 at 9:07 PM, fast_de_la_speed said:

Firstly, find your settings.cfg file in your KSP directory, and open it. Find the lines:

WHEEL_CLIP_OFFSET = 
WHEEL_CLIP_RANGE = 
WHEEL_CLIP_MULTIPLIER = 

and change every value to 0, like so:

WHEEL_CLIP_OFFSET = 0
WHEEL_CLIP_RANGE = 0
WHEEL_CLIP_MULTIPLIER = 0

This is a critical step as the car wheels do not work with the standard values. This is because KSP creates a collision radius around a wheel that detects if the wheel is "blocked", say, inside a fairing or retracted. With these cars, the wheel is naturally too close to the car collision and the result is a wheel that is always "blocked", and therefore unusable.

Does this affect all wheels in the game, whether in the mod or no (I'm guessing yes)?  And if it does affect all wheels, does it cause any problematic issues with the stock wheels?

On 19/08/2016 at 3:21 PM, MaxwellsDemon said:

Does this affect all wheels in the game, whether in the mod or no (I'm guessing yes)?  And if it does affect all wheels, does it cause any problematic issues with the stock wheels?

all wheels will be affected. I have not noticed anything problematic when changing these values, I feel that this is how they should be.

7 hours ago, Cultist_O said:

Should be right in the root. Have you run the game at least once? I'm not sure if it generates until you do.

Thanks! I found it right in the root directory. It must not have generated yet. I just updated to 1.1.3, so that'd explain why I hadn't seen it when I opened the folders.

Could you make a 1959 Chevrolet Corvette? That would be awesome considering that is the one that the Mercury 7 were given and I would love to do a Kerbal Drag Race under a rocket just like 'ol Al.

https://www.yobi3d.com/#!/search?q=3d%20file%20corvette%20c6

(It's the second model on the top)

4 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Could you make a 1959 Chevrolet Corvette? That would be awesome considering that is the one that the Mercury 7 were given and I would love to do a Kerbal Drag Race under a rocket just like 'ol Al.

https://www.yobi3d.com/#!/search?q=3d%20file%20corvette%20c6

(It's the second model on the top)

sure. however, I am quite busy with work this summer, and as you can see there are a few requests I still need to fill out. I will get to them eventually. please be patient :D

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, falken said:

A Porsche 944 S2 would be nice. :)

Looks spicy! should be nice to put in.

14 hours ago, richfiles said:

No rush, as you said you're busy... But KITT. You gotta do KITT from Knight Rider! :cool:
Mega props if you can figure out got to toggle "Super Pursuit Mode"!

hmm... what should it be named? How about JEBB? :D

45 minutes ago, fast_de_la_speed said:
15 hours ago, richfiles said:

No rush, as you said you're busy... But KITT. You gotta do KITT from Knight Rider! :cool:
Mega props if you can figure out got to toggle "Super Pursuit Mode"!

hmm... what should it be named? How about JEBB? :D

Interestingly, KITT actually works:
KITT? Kerbal. Industries. Two. Thousand.
KERB? Kerbal. Engineering. Roving. Bot.
JEBB? Jeb Bot??? I can't think of any good ones.
Personally, I like the original name KITT, with the slightly modified acronym, changing "Knight" to "Kerbal".

Actually, KITT and KARR were the two main cars of the show, with KARR being EEEVIIIL™. KARR was KITT's predecessor, and the acronym stood for Knight. Automated. Roving. Robot., and became an antagonist, because his AI was basically psychopathic. The two cars were identical in hardware (basically, both were a modified Pontiac Trans Am), save for KITT's forward scanner being red, and KARR's being amber. KERB works well as a Kerbalized version of KARR. If you could create two versions, with one having a red light and the other an amber light in the front center, that'd let you get two more cars off the same texture, and very much please Knight Rider fans! :sticktongue:

I have not checked? Does your mod support real headlights/taillights? If so, that can be the differentiating factor... Just the color emitted by the front "scanner" light.

One thing is undeniably certain though: It needs a probe core... It's gotta be able to move on it's own, without a pilot driver. :D

Edited by richfiles

On 06/09/2016 at 5:36 PM, richfiles said:

1. car snibbidy snab

2. I have not checked? Does your mod support real headlights/taillights? If so, that can be the differentiating factor... Just the color emitted by the front "scanner" light.

3. One thing is undeniably certain though: It needs a probe core... It's gotta be able to move on it's own, without a pilot driver. :D

1. I've never seen knight rider so I don't know what the acronym stood for, haha! sounds good for what you've suggested. front light colours would not be difficult to chang, the tough part is animating them. see 2.

2. by "real" if you mean with animated emissive animations, that is tough. KSP enjoys using the legacy animator from the dinosaur age, so I've gotta do some  funky stuff to make emissive work. However, for some reason the way I'm doing the fix (somewhere on the forums) has stopped working in unity editor :mad: so no animated emissive textures as of now. lights yes, but no emissivity texture animation. I hope this is fixed for 1.2...

3. absolutely!

5 hours ago, fast_de_la_speed said:

1: Stuff
2: Moar stuff
3. absolutely stuff!

I think most people will be okay with a solid light, as long as it's simply there. If you figure out a way to update it in the future, awesome, but don't worry too much about it. If you have a way to code timed events in the mod, you could possibly even just have 3 - 5 small lights, and toggle them on an off by a script, if such a thing is possible, that is. I honestly have no idea what is an isn't possible with modding.

I will honestly be happy with just the car itself modeled, even with a static red or amber front light. If you do decide to do it though, super pursuit mode could rely on KSP's control surfaces to function. Disable them for all axes, and have a right click GUI option to deploy or not deploy. Overall, Super Pursuit Mode would require several parts having deployed and non deployed states that would need to animate. Basically, little stabilizer fins, a front and rear spoiler, etc extend from the car (I guess as far as the show is concerned, meant to create extreme downforce to hold the car to the road at extreme speeds). If they are treated as fins, and could also all tied to an action group by default (like the gear button), then they could deploy/not deploy similar to airbrakes, without having to right click. You'd not wanna tie SPM to airbrakes though. KITT already has airbrakes! XD

Super Pursuit Mode

Edited by richfiles

On ‎8‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, Madrias said:

A request, and feel free to take as long as you need on this, would be for a limousine.  Either that, or a city bus.  I'd honestly be happy with either.

Still enjoying these cars.  They make KSP surprisingly more fun.

Yes Great idea!

Slightly morbid thought, but I think we need a hearse.  I've realized it's the one thing missing from a flag-planting ceremony for lost Kerbals.  Again, no major rush, just something that came to mind after having to plant a flag for the brave Valentina Kerman, who was the first Kerbal in my Career save to fly to the moon and back in an aircraft.  Sadly, re-entry tore the wings off and I didn't have emergency parachutes to bring it down safely.

RIP @Madrias's Valentina... ;.;

My Valentina, on the other green hand, is such a freakin' BadS that she jumped from a capsule 8 km in the sky, and landed her free falling leap flawlessly... Walked away like a baws:cool:
How... We may never know. :0.0:
I just know that she really used her head to get out of that sticky situation! :rolleyes::wink:

I also agree that a hearse would be a very awesome vehicle to add. As a side note, the addition of a few lights and such might make the model suitable for a Ghostbusters re-skin, depending on if you go with an old school or a modern styled hearse.

Krakenbusters?
Krakenbusters.png

Edited by richfiles

I have a kerbal style Reliant modeled from waaaaay back, if you can't find one send me a note, I can try doing IVAs for it.

Are the parts modular? Could I take two cars, stack the bodies on top of each other, put say, two V8s in the front and raise it up on tractor tires?

21 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I have a kerbal style Reliant modeled from waaaaay back, if you can't find one send me a note, I can try doing IVAs for it.

Are the parts modular? Could I take two cars, stack the bodies on top of each other, put say, two V8s in the front and raise it up on tractor tires?

Currently only car bodies and wheels are seperate, because i'd have to spend lots of time splitting models that are imported from GTA SA for them to be all modular.

Attention all in this thread! Since 1.2 will have some funky new wheel changes, I'm going to wait until that release to start the new packs, as there will probably be some wheel changes that will need fixing with the existing packs. :D

Another announcement!

With the addition of the hearse to the list, I am choosing to not add any more cars. (letting the mod "die" in a sense :D) 21 custom-made vehicles is a lot to manage, and therefore I will be only updating this mod for new version compatibility or bug fixes. Thanks for all the requests, you've made every Kerbal have a slick ride to show off on kerbin. :cool:  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.