KSP loads 30 min, have no extra network adapters or mods

Dear devs and community,

I have played many hours of KSP without problems, but now the loading time takes forever. I have a decent PC (  i7-4790K and GTX 770 ) and no other network adapters like the other had with the same problem.

I tried uninstalling all mods, verifying game cache, clean install on both HDD and SSD (30 and 15 mins respectively), but as you can see 15 minutes loading running from an SSD on a semi-high end PC is quite long. The game does run fine after that, but does anyone have advice for this? It's rather annoying :/

Thanks in advance!

ThePyCoder

Loading after a clean install (of the game I assume you mean), with no mods off of an SSD taking 15 minutes?  No something is wrong.  It may be your system, something may be failing or could be some other program is running that is hogging all the resources.  First thing make backups of all important data in case a failure is imminent.  Make sure your virus protection has scanned the system (and after that you might try turning it off then loading KSP just to be sure it's not interfering).  Then, it's a pain, but you might consider re-installing your OS and then just your essential programs (yeah there are programs to clean up drives and registries and so on but a clean re-install of the OS is the best)...anyway without any details on your system that would be my best guess.  A 770 is a bit old (I can say smugly have retired mine last year :wink: ), but wouldn't effect your load speed anyway and that processor should be fine for the calculations being made during loading so most likely something in your drive system.

For comparison I just timed it and mine takes just over 30 seconds including mods (module manager especially takes a few seconds).  i7-5930k, SSD; that's from a freshly booted OS nothing cached.

There is a log that logs pretty much everything in the game, as it happens. This log is <ksp_folder>\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (if you're using the 64 bit version. The directory is just KSP_Data if you're using the 32 bit version).

One of two things is happening. Either every step is taking 10-20 times longer than normal (assuming KSP should take about a minute to load) or one step is taking 95% of the time. Knowing this could be a very important first step to solving the problem.

If I were you, I'd start KSP, let it load for about a minute, and then open that file in notepad (assuming Windows). Note what the last few lines say. Maybe even copy and paste them into another Notepad window. Wait a few minutes, and then open the file again and see if it's changed or the same. If it's the same, you've probably found your culprit somewhere in those last few lines.

If the text is different, search for the last line in the PREVIOUS run to see how far back it is. In Notepad, you can hit ctrl-G to see what line you're currently on (and jump to a specific line but that's not what you want right here).

Keep loading the file up every minute or two until you either see that everything is slow, or it stops in one spot for a really long time. Then report that here, preferably with a link to your log file uploaded to Dropbox or somewhere.

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Keep loading the file up every minute or two until you either see that everything is slow, or it stops in one spot for a really long time. Then report that here, preferably with a link to your log file uploaded to Dropbox or somewhere.

Great advice though you may find it easier to Google for a program called baretail and open the log file in that.  It will display the file and update live so you can see exactly what is happening. 

12 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Great advice though you may find it easier to Google for a program called baretail and open the log file in that.  It will display the file and update live so you can see exactly what is happening. 

I didn't want to make this something you had to download software for. If it was me, I'd use gnu tail which I've had installed on every computer I use (along with all the other gnu utils) for over a decade.

48 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I didn't want to make this something you had to download software for. If it was me, I'd use gnu tail which I've had installed on every computer I use (along with all the other gnu utils) for over a decade.

Yeah, I understand that, needing to download and install something complex to diagnose a problem can be a pain, especially for users with less technical knowledge.  Luckily, baretail is a plain exe, so no installation is necessary and you just have to confirm a security prompt or two (depending on browser and OS settings).  Then it's a simple matter of dragging the relevant log file into the window...

You people are the best! Thanks for the answers!

I don't have access to my PC now, but I pasted the log in a pastebin: http://pastebin.com/yNpy3qF5

It's truncated, but I know there are no surprises coming after the end of the pastebin file. This is a log from a forced DX11 startup on my SSD.

I'm going to switch to Linux soon anyway, so I'll install it on there then. But there's a part of me that wants to know what caused all this nonsense :P

Anyway, thanks again for all the support!

2 hours ago, ThePyCoder said:

It's truncated, but I know there are no surprises coming after the end of the pastebin file. This is a log from a forced DX11 startup on my SSD.

Well, that does look a bit strange though I don't remember if the same pattern occurs with the "Hamachi" issue.  The audio files are each taking about 3 seconds to load.  The first chunk of textures (from Agencies and Contracts) load very quickly but then everything from Flags onwards again takes 3+ seconds for each one.  Presumably the code that loads the Agencies and Contracts textures is a little different and this may indicate a potential way of Squad working around this for the other files...

I'm quite certain I don't have a Hamachi network adapter. The only virtual one was a tunngle and that one is disabled.

I looks like another something is the cause but I have never seen anyone with the same problem online, so it has to be something I did? I ran a malwarebytes scan and had nothing (yay). Everything in the task manager looks normal, no resource hogs or other quirks. I updated all video drivers, I'm running out of things to do. And I suppose the errors in the log file are due to a gamepad controller, but I don't use that one with KSP so it doesn't matter I think.

I'm tempted to say try completely removing the tunnel adapter rather than disabling it as it certainly does look like that issue.  There could be other causes that would result in the same symptoms but I'm not aware of any.  Sometimes a virus scanner can do unhelpful things but it shouldn't take anything like three seconds to check a PNG, DDS or MP3/WAV file isn't harmful...

I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT!

It was my own, working, phyiscal network card that did it. I disabled it, put steam in offline mode and ran it. it was loaded in under a minute!

My driver was a version 12.11.96.1 from 2014 form an intel ethernet I218-V connection. I did update it just now to the newest, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Anyone know why this happens? I know how to get around it now, but how does one fix that?

Thanks anyway for all your support!

On 20/06/2016 at 2:29 PM, Speadge said:

which OS are u using?

soes the problem happen when u run without steam? (just start the KSP64.exe manually)

Windows 7 and yeah it did :/ Now I found out how (see above) and found a way to make it work, but still no idea why it happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.