KSP Komplete Modpack - CKAN list - 1.1.3

Introduction

We've noticed that there is a huge selection of mods available from the amazing KSP community. We wanted a way to showcase our favourite mods and make it easy for others to download the entire set. This is why we are creating The KSP Komplete Modpack [WIP].

What we want to achieve:

• A lightweight modpack without unessential clutter, but containing all the parts you would want in your save.
  • Find the best combination of visual mods that not only looks good but also performs well.
  • Feature Life Support and Communications mods, and other significant new game-play changes, but not undermine the feel of the stock game

We will be using a CKAN list, which allows us to provide one link to get all our mods, without infringing on the rights of the wonderful creators of these mods. Feel free to make mod suggestions, we'll consider adding the most popular ones!

Thanks, 

AmigoGumball and 8u1letSp0nge

PS: Sorry for the inactivity, we've both had Exams and stuff.

Install Guide

1. Download CKAN from their github.

2. Run CKAN, and find the KSP install you want to use for the modpack. Backup your saves, use the modpack at your own risk!

3. Download the .ckan modlist file here.

4. In CKAN, click "file", then "install from .ckan". Find the .ckan file, then press "open".

5. CKAN will then download and install the modlist for you. If the "apply changes" button is green, click it. Otherwise, you are done and you can launch the game and enjoy the modpack!

Current Modlist

The modlist is still WIP, as not all mods are ready for 1.1.3 yet. If you find any issues, feel free to report them :).

Active Texture Management - Removed due to being discontinued since KSP version 1.0. Additionally, the replacement, Dynamic Texture Loader, also appears to be broken ATM.

Airplanes Plus

AVC

B9 aerospace - no HX - Added B9 procedural wings

Chatterer

EVE - Not updated for 1.1.3

Interstellar Fuel Switch - Added

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Atomics

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Inventory System

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Added, as this is compulsory :)

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - Not updated for 1.1.3

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Mechjeb 2

RasterPropMonitor

Remote Tech

Scatterer - Whilst a great mod, scatterer is still WIP, and can cause graphical glitches and poor performance. Not updated to 1.1.3.

SpaceY Lifters and SpaceY Lifters Expanded

Stock Extension

TAC life support

Tweakscale

Edited by AmigoGumball
WIP modlist download added.

Wow, this is the first modpack I've really seen on the Forums before.

However, I would advise that you put the links in the Names of the mods (Hyperlink them). The page would look a lot better without all the insanely long blue links :P

EDIT: Kopernicus is a pretty good mod...

Edited by Astrofox

I hope you have checked all the licenses for this mod pack as some of the mods listed are very protective. Also who will provide support for this pack.

Mod packs have been discussed to death here and I think the general consensus is that they are simply someone wanting to be a modder by repackaging other peoples work, not a practice that will win any friends in this modding community.

26 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I hope you have checked all the licenses for this mod pack as some of the mods listed are very protective. Also who will provide support for this pack.

Mod packs have been discussed to death here and I think the general consensus is that they are simply someone wanting to be a modder by repackaging other peoples work, not a practice that will win any friends in this modding community.

Looks like AmigoGumball is just linking to them, like Avera9eJoe's Visual Ultamatim or whatever it was.

2 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Looks like AmigoGumball is just linking to them, like Avera9eJoe's Visual Ultamatim or whatever it was.

Yeah its basically just a way to tell CKAN to download a bunch of mods and their dependencies. Not repackaging/rehosting.

22 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah its basically just a way to tell CKAN to download a bunch of mods and their dependencies. Not repackaging/rehosting.

Yup... Modpacks been beaten into horse-glue... However, I CAN see that a CKAN "modpack" list should be no problem, and a good way have the same effeact as a traditional "modpack", but without the issues and related negativity...

HOWEVER, IF this is the case, and this is more a CKAN-specific list-type of thing, I would usrge the OP to clarify that in BOTH the thread title and in the body of the OP... I would also suggest maybe coming up with a unique name, or "tag" for this type of CKAN modpack-list type of thing, exactly to differentiate it from the negativity of traditional modpacks, here in the KSP community...

Edited by Stone Blue

Hi all,

I am working with AmigoGumball on the modpack and in response to the above; I'd like to put forward a few points.

To start, we wanted to put together a modpack that could be easily installed and used, almost like "plug and play" controllers but for KSP, without having to faff about trying to get X mod to work or Y mod to be updated etc. Modding KSP can be a tedious and annoying task at best when things don't go your way. For example, when initially putting together the first version of this modpack we had problems getting all the B9 parts to load in-game. The main idea was to create a modpack for new players, or to save people the time and hassle of modding the game themselves. I mean, what’s the point in wasting time putting together a bunch of mods when someone else has done it for you? However, I do not understand all the negativity towards such an idea. It's been done with so many other games and worked, so why not with KSP? We are not the kind of people trying to "be a modder by re-packaging other people's work." In fact, I am very much against this kind of behaviour. We both have knowledge on how to create mods for the game and I personally have released mods for older versions of the game back when the "Space Port" was around and wish to release more in future. I mean, nobody complained about the “Unofficial B9 updates” back when the mod stopped being updated for a while.

The original idea was for this to be a sort of "CKAN Modpack" if you could call it that although not all mods listed are available through CKAN. The only real work-around, withoug having to hassle other modders to try and get CKAN support for their mods, would be to host a downloadable zip on the forums. I am aware of the issues surrounding licenses and copyright etc, and, if need be I shall contact the mod authors to get approval to release it as part of the pack.

As for support, I will host a separate forum thread for support regarding the modpack and any issues people may have when it is officially released.

We are just trying to help.

Thanks,

8u1letSp0nge

In addition to the licensing and attribution issues other people have pointed out, modpacks for KSP could potentially cause maintainence and support issues for everyone involved:

- KSP mods are plugins are updated on a irregular basis, sometimes several times a week, and other times with year-long gaps. If the original version of a particular mod included in your modpack gets updated by its original author, how much time would it take for you guys to update your repacked version(s)?

- If updates to two or more mods in your pack turn out to be incompatible, who should the users ask for support? You guys, or us modmakers?

- What if your modpack contains an outdated version of our mods that we no longer provide support for? Should the users stay stuck using the outdated version to maintain modpack integrity, or upgrade and risk incompatibility?

15 hours ago, sumghai said:

- KSP mods are plugins are updated on a irregular basis, sometimes several times a week, and other times with year-long gaps. If the original version of a particular mod included in your modpack gets updated by its original author, how much time would it take for you guys to update your repacked version(s)?

We only plan to update the mods in our modpack if any of the following happen:

• Squad releases a new version/ patch of KSP and mods need updating for it to function properly.
  • The developer of the mod releases a patch that fixes an on-going bug we cannot fix or that allows a mod to work with our existing set that we would like to have added originaly.
  • The developer of a mod introduces something that changes the gameplay of that mod fundamentally.
15 hours ago, sumghai said:

- If updates to two or more mods in your pack turn out to be incompatible, who should the users ask for support? You guys, or us modmakers?

We are currently testing the compatibility of the mods in the pack and plan to release some sort of Alpha or Beta (if you could call it that) for people to test if the mods are compatible and get feedback from the community before release. If two or more mods turn out to be incompatible then we will provide a patch that uses the last compatible version(s) of the mods until we or the developer can provide a patch or work-around. As for support, I will be running a separate thread once the modpack is released to do with support strictly regarding issues with the pack e.g. a mod doesn't load/ install properly or two versions are conflicting etc. It is up to the developer of the mod to provide support for bugs or issues regarding the mod itself (e.g. a plugin is not working properly etc).

16 hours ago, sumghai said:

- What if your modpack contains an outdated version of our mods that we no longer provide support for? Should the users stay stuck using the outdated version to maintain modpack integrity, or upgrade and risk incompatibility?

Making sure people can use the modpack without hassle is a priority. This means that if we are using an outdated version of a mod that the developer no longer provides support for and people are having issues running it we will pull it from the pack immediately (dependant on circumstances). If we then find a fix, we will re-introduce it as soon as possible. We do not plan to edit any of the mods included with the pack itself unless the issue is game-breaking and the developer allows us to.

At the current stage we want to gauge interest in to making a modpack for KSP and any further comments are welcome. We have seen projects like the MOD Docket and Avera9e's Visual Ultimatum which were the initial inspiration for this idea and shows that there is some sort of place for this idea in the community.

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

8u1letSp0nge

23 hours ago, Astrofox said:

Well, it depends on the user's needs. I think it may be nice to add the Outer Planets Mod. Also, Kerbal Joint reinforcement due to the fact that someone may make overly massive rockets...

There is no such thing as an overly large rocket! But yes, We'll definitely add KJR. Outer planets definitely looks interesting, would anyone else like to see it?

On 16 June 2016 at 4:07 PM, Stone Blue said:

Yup... Modpacks been beaten into horse-glue... However, I CAN see that a CKAN "modpack" list should be no problem, and a good way have the same effeact as a traditional "modpack", but without the issues and related negativity...

HOWEVER, IF this is the case, and this is more a CKAN-specific list-type of thing, I would usrge the OP to clarify that in BOTH the thread title and in the body of the OP... I would also suggest maybe coming up with a unique name, or "tag" for this type of CKAN modpack-list type of thing, exactly to differentiate it from the negativity of traditional modpacks, here in the KSP community...

Yeah, the term modpack definitely has quite a negative stigma attached to it, and not without good reason.

On 17 June 2016 at 8:20 AM, Astrofox said:

Well, it depends on the user's needs. I think it may be nice to add the Outer Planets Mod. Also, Kerbal Joint reinforcement due to the fact that someone may make overly massive rockets...

KASE is also a good mod for making the planets look much better (and it uses Kopernicus).

Also, ActiveTextureManagement is no longer the correct mod to use, use DynamicTextureLoader after it has been updated for 1.1.2. ATM was replaced by DTL in 1.0.4.

Some other mods to consider:

SCANSat, B9 procedural parts, Vens Stock Revamp and the Procedural Parts & Fairings textures for VSR. The Near Future mod suit is also a good choice (not so good on poor computers sometimes, but it's really cool).

11 hours ago, RA3236 said:

KASE is also a good mod for making the planets look much better (and it uses Kopernicus).

Also, ActiveTextureManagement is no longer the correct mod to use, use DynamicTextureLoader after it has been updated for 1.1.2. ATM was replaced by DTL in 1.0.4.

Some other mods to consider:

SCANSat, B9 procedural parts, Vens Stock Revamp and the Procedural Parts & Fairings textures for VSR. The Near Future mod suit is also a good choice (not so good on poor computers sometimes, but it's really cool).

We are looking in to some of the mods listed above, however, we have decided to leave out Vens Stock Revamp, mainly for two reasons:

1. We wantaed to try and keep as close to the core KSP Aestheitc whilst also trying to make the game look better at the same time
  2. We are thought that some of the changes to the models it made would not work with some styles of craft, e.g. the extension to the jet engine models make it hard to make realistic looking VTOLs.

Also, we are currently using ATM as DTL appears to be broken and /or not available due to a Unity bug.

Edited by 8u1letSp0nge

Hi all,

Quick update on the modpack - Everything seems to be working fine so far, just need to test out the last few mods and do some bugfixing. Once we have approval from mod authors, an "Alpha" for the pack should be available on CKAN soon.

- 8u1letSp0nge

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, MobFail said:

So appearently I cant download the .ckan file. It just sends me back to the main forum page.

This is just a placeholder link for now but we will have one posted eventually. Amigogumball and I are very busy IRL right now so we havent had chance to work on the pack. I am still yet to get in to contact with mod authors about this too. I do not belive providing a .ckan file infringes on any copyright but due to the negative stigma surrounding modpacks in the KSP community, I would just like to be sure. For now you can search for the mods in the list on CKAN or use the links provided on the post to download them from thier respective pages.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.