PB666

53 minutes ago, PB666 said:

The other night, I helped confirm a newly discovered asteroid that was bright and fast. It may or may not be that guy.

(BTW: I nicknamed the asteroid I confirmed "Bob". If these two asteroids are the same object, then I don't mind changing it to Minmus)

26 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The other night, I helped confirm a newly discovered asteroid that was bright and fast. It may or may not be that guy.

(BTW: I nicknamed the asteroid I confirmed "Bob". If these two asteroids are the same object, then I don't mind changing it to Minmus)

Minimus, cause its really smaller. 

5 minutes ago, insert_name said:

wonder if the SLS/orion could reach that, probably not due to the plane change, but it seems worth investigating

Its easy, falcon 9 with solar driven ion drive payload. 

EM-2 or 3 for SLS should be for astronauts to go to that asteroid, shape it into Minmus' exact topology, paint it green, and attach a really tiny Squad monolith to it.

Edited by cubinator

6 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Minmus! It's totally Minmus! Everyone grab you low gravity vacuum ice cream cones! We should move it into a slightly more stable orbit!

There's only one problem... That's no moon! It's a... Quasi-Satellite?... Reminds me of this xkcd comic a little.

Of course its no moon, its the next dinosaur BBQ, lol. 

3 minutes ago, PB666 said:

Of course its no moon, its the next dinosaur BBQ, lol. 

Only if NASA accidentally decouples the capsule during the retrograde burn, and ends up dropping the whole thing into the atmosphere.

12 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If ever there was a candidate for a sample-return mission... It should be easier to get to, shouldn't it?

I think NASA needs to do a sample return from Earth. It's the largest rocky planet, and it is clearly in the Sun's habitable zone. I think it's a great candidate for life, especially since it appears to have liquid water on it's surface and a thick atmosphere with oxygen. 

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

Minmus! It's totally Minmus! Everyone grab you low gravity vacuum ice cream cones! We should move it into a slightly more stable orbit!

There's only one problem... That's no moon! It's a... Quasi-Satellite?... Reminds me of this xkcd comic a little.

Not a bad idea. An excuse to keep ARM alive, but for a much less expensive (and less risky) mission?

2 minutes ago, Kiro said:

MINIMUS IS REAL! :)

If Minmus is real, what if the Kraken is?

Now we know the real reason nobody has the guts to leave LEO anymore.

Just now, vger said:

If Minmus is real, what if the Kraken is?

Now we know the real reason nobody has the guts to leave LEO anymore.

It could explain some of those Mars probes that vanished.

It's a quasi-moon. But the trajectory (around the Sun) is shaped in a way that it's trajectory wrt Earth forms a spiral around Earth, unlike Cruithne which forms a spiral somewhere else.

Now grab it fast before it grabs you XD

10 hours ago, Kiro said:

It could explain some of those Mars probes that vanished.

Unfortunately reality is sometimes stranger than fiction

Phobos 1. (Soviet). Stopped communicating because of a software error cause solar panels no longer to sun-face. 
Phobos 2. (Soviet). Putative on board computer system malfunction, possibly course miscalculation and phobos collision.
Mars observer. "Likely reason for spacecraft failure was the leakage of fuel and oxidizer vapors through the improperly designed PTFE check valve to the common pressurization system. During interplanetary cruise, the vapor mix had accumulated in feed lines and pressurant lines, resulting in explosion and their rupture after the engine was restarted for routine course correction. A similar problem would later cripple the Akatsuki space probe in 2010 ".wikipedia - Mars curse - exploration of Mars. Fortunately the Akatsuki, like Hyabusa manages somehow to salvage itself and is now performing it mission but crippled.
Mars 96. (Russian). - Never lefts earths SOI, standard launch failure issues we are all used to. Its 2nd 4th stage burn did not occur, and the correction burn that followed was essentially an aerobraking manuever.
Nozomi- Numerous, starting with a less than optimal earth oberth manuever, followed by more less than optimal manuevers it lacked sufficient fuel to insert on Mars and was abandoned after the flyby of Mars.
Mars Climate Orbiter - Seriously NASA your scientist and contractors aren't using metric yet, what gives.
Mars Polar Lander - Did what latest SpaceX mission did on the OCISLY (i.e. whap!), except on Mars. Telemetry, telemetry, telemetry.
Beagle 2 (UK)Failed to fully deploy most solar panels after landing, antenna blocked. Mars Express however still operational
Deep Space 2. - NASA, cost cutting can only go so far.

So to recapitulate.

Computer or computational errors. 3 to 5 (prolly 5)
Mechanical malfunctions not related to burns. 2
Valve problems. 2
Stubborn adherence to obsolete measurement systems. 1
Zie Kraken. 0 to 2 (prolly 0).

Never put off to malice that which can be explained by _______, _______, or ________.

1 hour ago, PB666 said:

Never put off to malice that which can be explained by _______, _______, or ________.

But... but... I never said the Kraken was malicious. Predatory species just do what they do. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.