Returning KSP player, how should I get started?

Rolanvorxariat

Hello, Kerbonauts! I haven't been playing Kerbal Space Program recently due to a lack of interest and time, as well as various tech problems, but now that I have time and there is 64 bit, I can get back into playing it. The only problem remaining is interest, and probably "noobishness" too. So, how should I get started again? Maybe suggest something I should build, a easy challenge, or something.

Some may disagree with this but normal Career mode is pretty good, it keeps things simple in the beginning and you have to accomplish simple tasks before you can move on to more advanced tasks. It also helps by restricting access to too many parts in the beginning, one problem new players have is not knowing which parts to use, having just fewer parts and fewer mechanics help with that.

The learning curve is still steep because you have to learn stuff like orbital mechanics and very basic rocket science.

Start small like practice Kerbin orbit a few times and then land on one of kerbin's moons. Maybe dock once. Then just gradually do harder and harder stuff.

You should also find out what changed in the updates that passed so you know what's different. 

Edited by Dfthu

Seconding career as well. I too had a hiatus from KSP for a while, and career was what helped me remember the game again as well as introduce me to the new parts in a steady order.

It all depends on how you used to play the game, if you were a grand-tour kind of person, or if you mostly played around with ballistic orbits, but finding something that sounds interesting to you and working towards that is most likely a good way to get the interest-part sorted. I started again when I installed a "few" mods to tailor the gameplay more to my liking (life support, bases, extraplanetary logistics, Munar shipbuilding, etc) with the goal of kolonizing the entire kerbol system.

Some things you, as somebody who played previous versions and come back now should know :

The Aero change has changed quite a few things :

- Build a sleek rocket and put fins on the back

- The gravity turn has changed : no more "10 degrees at 100 m/s then 45 degrees until apoapsis is good" : you will want to start your gravity turn early, and be progressive about it. Ideally, you just put a small pitch input, then let the gravity do the turning (it's called a gravity turn, after all).

- we now have heat shields. If you want to reenter with something more than just a capsule, you will want to have one. You can lower the amount of abrasive shield to save weight (1/4 is more than enough)

Edited by Champ
spelling

I've never had much luck with Career Mode -- I'd rather do what I want, when I want.

But the fact that you're looking for some form of direction indicates that you may be of a different mindset, so I'd give it a shot.

-Jn-

You don't say how much you've played before. If you're already reasonably experienced, then consider a modded solar system to give a new experience. I highly recommend New Horizons, it puts Kerbin in orbit of a gas giant and there are two new worlds orbiting it as well as the familiar Mun for your early exploration, but there are several good ones.

I like picking a task I'm not good at and building and launching a bunch of missions in Sandbox. You tweak and either you get good at, say, precision landing rovers on the Mun or at least get better at building vehicles to get rovers there. The below is part of a series of Mun landings, Apollo style that I'm doing right now as practice:

sfNXVN8.png

I myself am a kick the tires and light the fires kind of player and so crash, crash and burn, more crashing and more crashing and burning, sometimes I actually learn something from this, but I did try career a couple of times and found my fun disappeared, just my opinion, I love the game, the knowledge of everyone on the forum, the inspiration they give, the way that I can look through the posts and think I've got to try that, or realize that I will never be as good a ship builder as 99% of posters on here, but I keep playing, mashing 1's and 0's probably to no avail, but it gives me the most pleasure of any game I have ever played. I guess what I'm trying to say is just do your thing and let your imagination take over and most importantly, have fun, it is a game, the best ever, but just a game.

On 6/17/2016 at 3:21 PM, Grenartia said:

I'd recommend Science mode first, actually. Has all the advantages of starting with Career, but without the drawback of having to worry about money.

And contracts, and strategies, and reputation.

First though - which was the most recent version you have played before and what did you achieve/enjpy in that?

Haven't played in probably about a year and a bit. I'm poking around on the forums again...

...This is how it starts.

Usually when I take a break from KSP and come back it's changed a bit from updates and I just start a new career to ease myself into the part tweaks and new features.

Career mode is awesome and I'm excited to be excited about this game again. Time to put down my guns and pick up a test tube.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.