Air Pressure- and Airspeed-Threshold Values for Parts?

I was thinking, shouldn't parts react to heavy air resistance and air pressure?

For example, if you had a an antennae sticking out of an aircraft perpendicular to the direction being traveled, and the said craft was travelling at supersonic speeds, shouldn't the antennae snap off?

Furthermore, parts with low crash tolerance should be crushed by the pressure of atmospheres like that of Eve and Jool.

I realize these kind of values would have to adapt to the air densities of different planets and altitudes, which would make it a bit complicated, but I thought this would be a nice little added chunk of realism to the game.

Edited by b0ss

Pressure is just an problem if you have voids inside them who the pressure can collapse, not an issue for most of the fragile parts in KSP, on the other hand it might harm stuff like the small lander can and perhaps the cheap probe cores. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2016 at 1:14 AM, Panel said:

It isn't that difficult. It is already done with solar panels, and dev notes mentioned antennas in 1.2 will have the same effect. 

Parachutes also rip apart at high enough speeds, which is fun. Any word on landing gear and legs? Wings and winglets, maybe? The fans inside the turbojet engines?

I'm not sure how airpressure can destroy most of the parts. Especially antennas. Btw, the highest airpressure is that of Eve at sea level (or Jool if you count that one)

Antennas during excessive air resistance should snap off. I think you mean only "Air resistance" in the entirety of your concept. But if you also meant damage being dealt through airpressure alone, then that's not what supposed to happen.

Air resistance can happen on low and high airpressures since pressure has nothing to do with it. There is little logic for parts to suffer due to airpressure alone. BTW, If you need to haul the parts to the high air pressure conditions of your destination you want them to survive there. If they didn't we would need specific parts for high pressure locations, adding even more parts to the already vast selection of stock parts.
Only empty canisters should fail due to excessive airpressure alone. And we just assume those landing canisters can hold that pressure. Fuel tanks are always under pressure, also unpressurized tanks because.... well..... they usually carry tons of burny stuff that weighs alot, let's say on launch. Adding immense weight to the metal construction of a tank.
If you get a fuel tank into a high air pressure environment it's probably going to strenghten the part since a pressurized tank under exterior pressure now has a balancing force.

But then again, why even get there if it's the purpose of this game to get parts to high pressure conditions anyway.
I don't see what crash tolerance has to do with air pressure. Old CRT monitors had glass chambers that protected a inside vaccuum, thus alot of exterior pressure under 1 atmosphere.

They could run for years without hurting those sitting in front of them. But scoop out the contents and let it drop from 2 stories high and it breaks.

A real life part with high pressure resistance but breaks relatively easily, and something to try at home. Mind the pedestrians though.
But as for your antenna example, yeah, that one should snapp off definitely. Just like solar panels i.e.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.