Z-fighting shadows

7 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Is this from 1.2? Did you notice it before? Start a thread about it.

Yeah I first noticed it with 1.1 when making SVT and I always thought it was because of my ground textures but I just recently updated SVE and noticed it was just as bad with completely stock planets in 1.2

Edited by Galileo

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

I think it is may be part of "optimiztion" in unity 5?

@Majorjim!, have you put this stuff on official bug tracker?

Also , some unity mambo jumbo related:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/22042/directional-shadows-blocky-and-flickering.html

Yup, thanks. Here are some possible suggested solutions @SQUAD

I cleared Occlusion culling, I'm going to re-run occlusion to see what happens.

I had this problem with hard shadows, then I swapped to soft shadows and lowered the strength, maybe this could help you too

Make sure your far clipping plane on your camera isn't too high or you will see weird artifacting

- (forum reply) - This worked for me. I added an extra camera for the near clipping plane from 0 to 100 and the far camera I set to vertex lit. no more flickering shadows.

1 hour ago, evileye.x said:

That thread is from 2010, about Unity 2.6. A comment in the thread references a newer thread from 2012, which is still ancient. Not to say the suggestions in those threads are useless, but I think we need to look much more recently than that.

The severe quivering of shadow edges this thread talks about is something that appeared out of nowhere when they did the last Unity engine upgrade in KSP, from 4.x to 5.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

-(forum reply) - This worked for me. I added an extra camera for the near clipping plane from 0 to 100 and the far camera I set to vertex lit. no more flickering shadows.

Hmmm, intriguing! But I dont understand any of this. Care to explain a bit more? What exactly needs to be done/changed in KSP?

Many thanks in advance

Just now, Dafni said:

Hmmm, intriguing! But I dont understand any of this. Care to explain a bit more? What exactly needs to be done/changed in KSP?

Many thanks in advance

I have no idea at all. :D I was just quoting folks from the link.

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

I have no idea at all. :D I was just quoting folks from the link.

Oh, I see :D

Well, lets just hope they figure that one out soon. It really is a quite severe eyesore sometimes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.