What counts as survey scanner data transmitter

I'm gonna do a Jool mission, but to get the mission working i'll need ISRU, so I made some 'scansats'. However, the VAB says they need data transmitters. I tried using stock antenas instead of remotetech ones, but that didn't help. I can't launch my mission untill I'm sure this will work. what antenae can the orbital scanner use

I think it will happily use every stock antenna. I know for a fact it'll use the lowest tier one, the Communotron 16 because that's what I use (for everything. Ever. Period). What do you mean exactly by "that didn't help"? What exactly did you try and what did and didn't happen?

Note that each world has its own data amount, so you need to make sure you have enough power to transmit the amount of data you can get from the largest world you're going to mine from, or the transmission will fail. If you can do Kerbin, I'm pretty sure you can do Tylo, and if you can do Tylo you can do Vall, Laythe, Pol, and Bop.

You can test your craft by launching (or Hyperediting) it into a polar Kerbin orbit in a save where you've not scanned Kerbin yet.

Edited by 5thHorseman

17 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

What do you mean exactly by "that didn't help"? What exactly did you try and what did and didn't happen?

well, I added the best stock antenae, and the red warning saying "This orbital survey module require a data transmitter to operate" didn't disappear. note that I also use remotetech, and I couldn't scan minmus either.

EDIT: My theory is taht it needs to send it with a stock antenae, but I used a remote one to send, but then why does the VAB still give me a warning?

Edited by superstrijder15

12 minutes ago, superstrijder15 said:

well, I added the best stock antenae, and the red warning saying "This orbital survey module require a data transmitter to operate" didn't disappear. note that I also use remotetech, and I couldn't scan minmus either.

I don't use Remotetech, but haven't heard that it interferes with stock resource scanning. Sorry. In a stock game that would work.

Seeing that message in RT means you have control via other methods (either local control or connection to another command station) but no connection to KSC. Science transmission needs a connection back to KSC to work. If not, then even if your antenna is extended, you'll see that message and fail the transmission.

I think Remotetech removes the stock antenna module from the stock parts and adds its own antenna module. I'd take the VAB warnings with a pinch of salt, it's probably still checking for a part with the now-absent stock module.

If you have the resource scanner in a suitable orbit and with a valid Remotetech connection to KSC and it still doesn't work, then I don't know, maybe RT has a bug.

A 'module' in this sense is a feature of a part. For example the OKTO probe core has a command module to control the ship, a reaction wheel module to provide torque that turns the ship around, and a SAS module that provides stability assistance to automatically stop the ship spinning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.