Commonly used acronyms

KasperVld

Hi everyone!

Currently I'm looking into making better use of some of this forum's features, one of which is the ability to expand certain acronyms and provide context. For example: KER, KAS, TWR, dV

As you can see, the applications can include everything from mathmatical concepts, to mods, and beyond. Which acronyms should we be adding to the list?

great idea, u should consider different ways of spelling, like dV, DeltaV and the one with the triangle - donno how to put i in here.

a nice addition would be almost any mod that is commonly known such as MJ, KIS, CLS, KSPRC, OPT, RT, RSS, EVE, SVE, SSRSS.. could continue for years.

Additional, you could explain / link some of rocket science basics like RCS (TWR mentioned)and so on..

also, for technical resons, there might be ppl not understanding everything thats beeing talked about in technical-support. so whta about some nerd-topicy like CPU, RAM, GC, "Threads"....

just a few for now :D

Edited by Speadge

• To add to the common mods, FAR, KIS, BAC. Possibly EVE (although case sensitivity could be an issue) and AVP. CKAN is worthy, and AVC bit me just the other day.
  • Ap and Pe, AN and DN match what's used in-game. Inc, ecc, SMA are more obscure but possibly helpful.
  • ISP is the only addition I can think of to TWR.
  • COL, COM, COD. AoA may only be relevant to the air-breathing crowd, not sure.
  • LKO, HKO for different Kerbin orbits. I'm not sure if people use KSO or similar much, I tend to just refer to those orbits as synchronous (or stationary if I'm really careful with them). KSC, KSC2 are the only places I can think of.

16 minutes ago, federicoaa said:

RUD rapid unplanned disassembly

If you want to include famous mods then add
MJ
KAC
FAR
USI
KIS
EVE
RO

11 minutes ago, Speadge said:

great idea, u should consider different ways of spelling, like dV, DeltaV and the one with the triangle - donno how to put i in here.

a nice addition would be almost any mod that is commonly known such as MJ, KIS, CLS, SCC, KSPRC, OPT, RT, RSS, EVE, SVE, SSRSS.. could continue for years.

Additional, you could explain / link some of rocket science basics like RCS (TWR mentioned)and so on..

also, for technical resons, there might be ppl not understanding everything thats beeing talked about in technical-support. so whta about some nerd-topicy like CPU, RAM, GC, "Threads"....

just a few for now :D

9 minutes ago, WWEdeadman said:

SRB (solid rocket booster) is one that comes to mind as weill. Apart from that, all I can think of right now, has already been named.

Added a number of the mods, don't want to include all mods in existence as that would be, well, a bit overkill I think. Added RCS and SRB. Not sure about the computer terminology

7 minutes ago, stibbons said:
  • To add to the common mods, FAR, KIS, BAC. Possibly EVE (although case sensitivity could be an issue) and AVP. CKAN is worthy, and AVC bit me just the other day.
  • Ap and Pe, AN and DN match what's used in-game. Inc, ecc, SMA are more obscure but possibly helpful.
  • ISP is the only addition I can think of to TWR.
  • COL, COM, COD. AoA may only be relevant to the air-breathing crowd, not sure.
  • LKO, HKO for different Kerbin orbits. I'm not sure if people use KSO or similar much, I tend to just refer to those orbits as synchronous (or stationary if I'm really careful with them). KSC, KSC2 are the only places I can think of.

Added most of these, good suggestions! :)

i agree with the technical KSP terms: COL, COM, COD... CKAN needs to have one, maybe LEO/GTO/GSO? (although they would be only for RSS players...)

is there one for KSP?

and COT: Center of thrust

in KSP center of drag and life are the same point, not sure how it really change with real life airplanes...

Edited by Zarbizaure

1 minute ago, Zarbizaure said:

i agree with the technical KSP terms: COL, COM, COD... CKAN needs to have one, maybe LEO/GTO/GSO? (although they would be only for RSS players...)

is there one for KSP?

added COD. I don't think KSP needs explanation

52 minutes ago, federicoaa said:

RUD rapid unplanned disassembly

Sorry if I sound picky, I think it's actually:

Rapid unscheduled disassembly

I could be wrong but I couldn't help pointing out, just that this is how I saw it: 

Edited by serolrom
More polite :)

MB = Moar Boosters

MS = Moar Struts

++ ones I really use in my game ++

LKO = Low Kerbin Orbit

MKO = Medium Kerbin Orbit

HKO = High Kerbin Orbit

OKO = Outer Kerbin Orbit (Yes, I have a space station I have added that orbits Kerbin beyond Minimus)...

Edited by adsii1970

2 hours ago, Pesterenan said:

SSTO - Single stage to orbit

SSTA - Single stage to anywhere 

VTOL - Vertical Take-Off and Landing.

These are the ones I remember for now 

VTOL added

2 hours ago, Aerolfos said:

Definitively needs to have RTG, RCS and SAS.

Possibly one for mod in general, since it's short for modification? Or is that just under the same as KSP.

Maybe one for BDA, BDArmoury.

RTG added

1 hour ago, Joshwoo70 said:

KEO would be nice.

AVP (astronomer visual pack)

MM(module manager)

MM added

GTO = Geostationary Transfer Orbit

KTO = Kerbostationary Transfer Orbit

GSO = Geostationary Transfer Orbit/ Geosynchronous Orbit

KSO= Same, but different

SV= Saturn Five rocket

TLI= Translunar Injection

TMI= Transmunar Injection

RT= RemoteTech

FRT= Free Return Trajectory

COG= Center of Gravity (in a ship-design sense)

Edited by Dman979

7 hours ago, KasperVld said:

Hi everyone!

Currently I'm looking into making better use of some of this forum's features, one of which is the ability to expand certain acronyms and provide context. For example: KER, KAS, TWR, dV

As you can see, the applications can include everything from mathmatical concepts, to mods, and beyond. Which acronyms should we be adding to the list?

OMG. This is really cool and helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.