[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

• 2 weeks later...

One of the benefits of adding in AVC to the latest update is that it allows me to track some very generic data on the usage of my mods and I thought I'd share them with you.  In the OP I've included a quick line chart that will show the number of times Maritime Pack connected to the AVC script check to see if it's the latest version in the past 30 days. This chart includes ALL IP addresses and not just unique ones.

This chart should be automatically updated every 24 hours... or so.

As more data comes in over a longer period of time I may add in more charts.

42 minutes ago, Fengist said:

NOTICE:

Like most mods with plugins, this mod will not work with 1.2.  I'm working on rebuilding the plugins for 1.2 but it may take me a few days.

I will post when I have everything fixed and a new version uploaded.

Thanks.

Wait.... You mean we have to wait? I mean your not chained to that desk until you finish our updates! Nope not acceptable.

..... Right

Thanks @Fengist and if anyone so wishes to post the famous last words of "When will it be ready" we too shall be ready for incessant fish slapping and general shenanigans. Don't let anyone beat you up, and take your time. The VAB will still be here when you get back..... Wait anyone seen Jeb? 

5 hours ago, V8jester said:

Wait.... You mean we have to wait? I mean your not chained to that desk until you finish our updates! Nope not acceptable.

..... Right

Thanks @Fengist and if anyone so wishes to post the famous last words of "When will it be ready" we too shall be ready for incessant fish slapping and general shenanigans. Don't let anyone beat you up, and take your time. The VAB will still be here when you get back..... Wait anyone seen Jeb? 

Thanks Jester.

The good news is. I've recompiled the dll used in both mods and I'm not getting any errors in the logs.  I've also checked and snjo has already released an updated Firespitter which appears to be working with both mods so we won't need to wait on him.  I've also recompiled the dll for the catapult tests and it doesn't appear to be complaining.

I'll do some testing this weekend to make sure everything still works and with any luck, both mods and a new catapult test will be out in short order.

Thanks for your patience.

Ok ladies and gents... I may have been a bit premature in my assessment as to when this pack will be ready for 1.2.

While the code recompiled just fine, the more I dig, the more issues come up.  And some are just befuddling.  For example.  In previous versions, getting the name of the vessel was easy: 

this.vessel.name

One example of where I use this is to add a log entry for MPEngine. This partmodule basically detects when an engine is in or out of the water.  It prevents ships and subs with one of the pack's engines from flying.

Well, it seems that now, just trying to get the name of the vessel causes an exception.

And there are other issues. For example, in the CVL pack there is a device I call the KLOLS.  In layman's terms, it's a beam that can be toggled on and off and was supposed to aim itself out the rear of a carrier in order to give a pilot a visual glide path to the flight deck.  In 1.1.3, it centered itself on the vessel.  In 1.2, it centers itself on the root part of the vessel.

To make things even more fun, there are currently 730+ lines of code in the MPUtils plugin.  And it seems I can't trust any of them to work as they used to.  Each time I find a new error, KSP has to be closed. The code rewritten and rebuilt and the new plugin copied over to the KSP directory and... KSP restarted.  And then checked to see if the change fixed things. Do that a dozen times just to fix one bug and it adds up to hours.

Next, add in the fact that the prerelease has been updated twice in two days (that I know of) and things get real interesting.

On top of that are these pressing urges I get to log into FPS games and attempt to surgically implant lead into some random noob's body parts and you can see this might take longer than I anticipated.

Therefore: The CVL plugin is going back on the shelf for now.  Getting the MPUtils (which is used by both 1869 and Maritime Pack) working and not producing errors is priority. But don't hold your breath.

Notice.  This updating became more complicated.

According to patch notes for release 1.2 - 1500

• Parts can now survive down to about 400m under the surface of Kerbin's by default, though this is of course moddable (or you can turn off pressure limits in difficulty options).
  • Nearing G and/or pressure limits causes the camera to shake (if wobble is on) and posts screen messages.
  • Exposions from overtemp/G/pressure are no longer instant but occur after a small random interval.

That means, every single part that's destined to be submerged will need to have the .cfg file updated.  Since my two mods are 2 of the 3 I know that include submersibles, this means a lot of sorting through parts to decide what should explode and what shouldn't and... at what depth.

15 minutes ago, Fengist said:

[edited by adsii1970 for content]

I know that I am not no where near being a good modder as you are, but would not a "one size fits all" approach be warranted here? I know this is not the case in real life, but for the sake of your sanity and time, simply make the "crush depth" 399 meters and be done with it.

Just a thought.

17 minutes ago, Fengist said:

According to patch notes for release 1.2 - 1500

• Parts can now survive down to about 400m under the surface of Kerbin's by default, though this is of course moddable (or you can turn off pressure limits in difficulty options).
  • Nearing G and/or pressure limits causes the camera to shake (if wobble is on) and posts screen messages.
  • Exposions from overtemp/G/pressure are no longer instant but occur after a small random interval.

That means, every single part that's destined to be submerged will need to have the .cfg file updated.  Since my two mods are 2 of the 3 I know that include submersibles, this means a lot of sorting through parts to decide what should explode and what shouldn't and... at what depth.

How about using an MM patch to apply the fix to all sub parts?

1 minute ago, colmo said:

How about using an MM patch to apply the fix to all sub parts?

I would but.

1. I'm wholly unfamiliar with MM.  I know what it does but not how it does it.

2. I'd rather not. I have this pet peeve whereby I do not like using other mods to make mine work.  I've seen enough mods take the nose dive over the years that I the only one I rely on is Firespitter and I'm trying to divest myself of it.

Just now, Fengist said:

I would but.

1. I'm wholly unfamiliar with MM.  I know what it does but not how it does it.

2. I'd rather not. I have this pet peeve whereby I do not like using other mods to make mine work.  I've seen enough mods take the nose dive over the years that I the only one I rely on is Firespitter and I'm trying to divest myself of it.

In that case, a utility like Wingrep will help speed you up. It allows batch processing of text files and can use regex search parameters. Very handy.

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I know that I am not no where near being a good modder as you are, but would not a "one size fits all" approach be warranted here? I know this is not the case in real life, but for the sake of your sanity and time, simply make the "crush depth" 399 meters and be done with it.

Just a thought.

Years ago, Infinite Dice added in sounds and on-screen warnings when you reached a certain depth.  The purpose was, not to prevent you from diving further, but to let you know that you were about to enter weirdness.  Once you go below 1,000m depth, you end up passing through the planet's terrain and are then, inside the planet looking out.  My subs have a limit of around 900m, at which point (unless you change an .xml file) they will push you back up.

So, this addition isn't unexpected, nor is it unwelcome.  It does add a layer of realism to submarines.  I'm already toying with ideas for parts that will add in more 'safety' features to prevent being crushed.

7 minutes ago, colmo said:

In that case, a utility like Wingrep will help speed you up. It allows batch processing of text files and can use regex search parameters. Very handy.

Oh god.  Thanks but it would probably take me longer to figure out a proper regex than it would to just copy and paste values :wink:

Edited by Fengist

33 minutes ago, colmo said:

There are non-regex search functions too!

LoL, I just came up with a MUCH easier way to solve this problem.

MODULE
            {
                name = MPSub
                maxDepth = 600  //this is the crush depth on Kerbin. It will vary on other planets.
            }

Add this to a part that goes on a sub, like the conning tower, and it'll cycle through every part in the vessel and set all of them to the appropriate pressure setting.

Opinions needed!

With 1.2 a new 'crush depth' will be added to the game.  The default crush depth is 400m on Kerbin.  It's about 25% more on Laythe and a LOT less on Eve.  The way it will work is that every part will have a maxPressure setting.  The default is 4000 (Kerbin is a 1:10 depth:pressure).

One solution is to go through every single part and add in a maxPressure to the config file.  I'm NOT gonna do that.

Solution 2 (the one I AM going to use) is adding a new function to the MPUtils Plugin.  By adding the following to specific parts (like sub conning towers) every part attached to that vessel has it's maxPressure set to the value in the PartModule.  I.E.

MODULE
            {
                name = MPSub
                maxDepth = 700
            }

Now, I can definitely do this one way... have it static.  In that case, the maxDepth is set in that part's .cfg file and won't change.  The vessel can dive to roughly that depth on Kerbin before it has a chance to implode.

The other way I THINK I can do this is dynamic.  In this case, a new part gets created. Call it a reverse vacuum.  I envision that in the hangar you'd add this part, right click and use a slider to adjust the max depth you want this vessel to be able to reach.  Once you decide to descend, you'd need to manually turn this vacuum on and it would slowly begin to pressurize the vessel up to the maximum you set and allow you to dive to that set depth.  I MAY be able to code this so that should you start to ascend and NOT remove this pressure, the reverse of this problem comes to light.  If your vessel is OVER pressurized, it may explode.  This means you'd have a few more things to consider whilst diving (along with keeping the keel level).

So, what do you guys think?

Oh, and here's proof of concept.  Remember, crush depth is 400 meters stock.

7z7w98y.png

Edited by Fengist

16 hours ago, TheBeardyPenguin said:

Just wondering how to get my hands on the catapult and arresting gear?
Downloaded the most recent 1.1.3 version but I can't find them and they don't seem to be included.

They're kinda important for a Youtube series I'm doing at the moment! :P

At the moment, not available.  But I have some lackey's... I mean volunteers working on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.