[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

On 3/25/2017 at 7:50 AM, ottothesilent said:

I've got kind of an odd request. Is it possible to acquire the mod for game verson 1.1.3? I'm replicating a youtube series I enjoy, and most of the mods aren't yet updated for 1.2.2. I looked on curse, and the only download is for 1.2. 

Wow, didn't realize most mods were still behind that 8 ball.  Ok, I restored the most recent archive on Curse. It was the last one for 1.1.3 and you should be able to download it now.  Enjoy.

On 3/24/2017 at 5:04 AM, asae said:

In regards to the ideas needed. this may be turned down due to things said in the thread in the past but I'd personally like to see a bigger carrier flight deck that can work with/like the catamaran setup. I understand it's not really designed to land things and even a deck that small will be hard to hit but it'd assist with building proper light carriers rather than the drone carriers that you have already. 

Carriers were never really meant to be part of this pack.  When I started it, it was the only boat mod out there so I felt kinda obligated to make at least one.  Then...'it's too small'  So, I made one twice the size.   Now, there's plenty of competition for this mod and much bigger carriers.  I have no plans to make a bigger one.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Orion Kerman said:

Would it be at all possible to make something dock underwater because i would like to attach a sub to a boat underwater

I know I've asked this before.

Once upon a time the cargo bay for the sub was intended for smaller, flying subs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Crashing in 1.2.9!!!!!

If you want to continue to use Maritime Pack, do not yet update to KSP 1.2.9!!!!!

It's going to take a recompile of both the MPUtils plugin and Firespitter.

Edited by Fengist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also. Once upon a time I considered doing sail power. I did some preliminary tests with sails and decided it was doable. Basically various gps locations, on Kerbin to start, would have 2 values assigned, direction and force. These values would change overtime. From those a direction and force could be calculate anywhere on Kerbin. From that direction and force thrust could be applied to sails.  I stopped work on it thinking the Kerbin weather mod would come out. But it seems quite dead. 

My question to you. Is there an interest in sails or should I spend my limited time on non sailing ships?

And mind you. This would be a very very basic sail.. as in rigid sails, no lufting or flapping in the breeze.

Edited by Fengist

That does sound interesting. I'd be more interested in being able to assign a ship a navpoint that it would proceed to while I did other things (that old navigation plugin).

I am a huge fan of the Age of Sail. Would tacking and different points of sail be modeled?

Edited by theonegalen

Some updates:

First of all, I've split off the MPanimEngine partModule. It is it's own plugin now and you can read about it here: 

For now, this will have NO effect on Maritime Pack or 1869. In the next release a few .cfg files will get changed to reflect a new partModule name and a new .dll plugin will be included in the pack.  

Nextly, following suit from some of my apparently wiser modders, I have signed up for Patreon.  Feel free to click the new donate link in the OP and have a look.

And then, to prove I'm not totally out of the modding game...

guesses welcome.

sneakpeek.png

4 hours ago, theonegalen said:

That does sound interesting. I'd be more interested in being able to assign a ship a navpoint that it would proceed to while I did other things (that old navigation plugin).

I am a huge fan of the Age of Sail. Would tacking and different points of sail be modeled?

To a degree yes.  Assuming I ever get back to work on it.  The wind direction and speed would be calculated. The sails would produce thrust based on that direction and speed.  So, sailing into the wind with a fore/aft rigged ship should work better than a square rigger.   When I last stopped work on it I had another issue, lack of ballast.  As thrust was applied to the sails it tended to flip the boat over... or as one boat managed, sailed straight into orbit.

9 hours ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

Can someone help me with the sub? I am trying to balance the the stern and bow, but no matter what I do, one side is heavier than the other. Is there an example craft or tutorial? 

If you mean the bow vs the stern, there is a part called the sub computer that can help but it's not perfect.  The trick is to turn the water compressor on until the sub starts to descend.  Once it's below the surface, turn the computer on and it should begin trying to balance out the sub.  You can also do this manually by right clicking on both the bow and the stern parts and moving the compressed water back and forth between the two until you have a balance.

2 hours ago, Fengist said:

If you mean the bow vs the stern, there is a part called the sub computer that can help but it's not perfect.  The trick is to turn the water compressor on until the sub starts to descend.  Once it's below the surface, turn the computer on and it should begin trying to balance out the sub.  You can also do this manually by right clicking on both the bow and the stern parts and moving the compressed water back and forth between the two until you have a balance.

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for an amazing mod btw, it really is beautiful 

On 6/12/2017 at 2:01 PM, Darth C3P0 said:

Just generally curious, how do you use the craddle to get said boat into the water? All it looks to be to me is just some red thing that decouples and blows up. :(

Ya it's kida, goofy. It doest surface attach the way I intended.  There's a long and a short side. The short side surface attaches to the bottom of the hull so that the long side sticks up vertically beside the hull. You can then attach wheels to it and they should be horizontal. I should be home this weekend and will post a screenshot.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:20 AM, adsii1970 said:

@Fengist - glad you're still around... was kind of afraid you wouldn't be based on a few posts ago...

Ya been around just busy. If you mean the post about bigger ships, I've never really had any plans to go bigger. Already have seen a few complaints about the pack being too big.  One of the next projects is to split the pack up into an all in one pack and several smaller ones so that you only get the parts you want.

Edited by Fengist

On 6/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, Rainbowd4sh said:

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks for an amazing mod btw, it really is beautiful 

LOL. In the years this mod has been out no one has ever used the word beautiful to describe any of my models. I'm truly sorry to hear about your impaired vision. I've worn glasses since a child myself.

2 minutes ago, Fengist said:

LOL. In the years this mod has been out no one has ever used the word beautiful to describe any of my models. I'm truly sorry to hear about your impaired vision. I've worn glasses since a child myself.

I mean look at how gorgeous that is, even simple models look good if they function well and your mod does. 

Also, the mod package for atmospheric condition was astronomer's visual: day dream. 

16 minutes ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

I mean look at how gorgeous that is, even simple models look good if they function well and your mod does. 

Also, the mod package for atmospheric condition was astronomer's visual: day dream. 

For your kind words (though I now think you do need to get your eyes checked), a sneak preview of things to come.

Hover1.jpg

Assuming that is, I can get the code to work the way I think I can.

Edited by Fengist

Just now, Fengist said:

For your kind words (though I now think you do need to get your eyes checked), a sneak preview of things to come.

Hover1.jpg

That looks like it will be fun, I am not too knowledgeable on boats, but is that a hover craft? If, so that is going to be ridiculously fun to fly. 

Now, for that vision thing, all day in front of a screen probably doesn't help, but hey as long as I can see the rocket heading! :kiss:

9 minutes ago, Rainbowd4sh said:

That looks like it will be fun, I am not too knowledgeable on boats, but is that a hover craft? If, so that is going to be ridiculously fun to fly. 

Now, for that vision thing, all day in front of a screen probably doesn't help, but hey as long as I can see the rocket heading! :kiss:

Mech Jeb, you don't even need to see how to fly.  Though it ends up having all the fun.

Well, that may or may not be a hovercraft and whether it'll be fun to fly will depend on whether I can get it to fly at all.  There's at least one other hovercraft mod out there and there is a mod with hovering engines.  However I believe both of those rely on essentially invisible wheels.  I'm going to attempt to go wayyyy back in time to the early days of KSP and pull a Romfarer.  He had a mod once called Lazors or some such.  You could put these little things under your ship and they'd shoot out a beam and, your ship would hover.

I've got a pretty good idea of how they worked and I'm pretty certain I can duplicate that effect.  The question is, can I duplicate that and keep the hover distance in a very narrow range while this thing is travelling over land or water.

The basic theory is that there will be a non-engine engine (the round horizontal things in the screenshot).  They'll have a fixed thrust and will always generate max power.  They won't be connected to the throttle but you'll need to turn them on to generate the air for the cushion sections.  Each of the cushion sections (there's 4 in the screenshot) will have... well... think of it as a pair of air vents that force air downward.  As long as there's enough power from the lifting engine to cover all of the cushion sections and lift the mass, hopefully it'll float.

One other plan is to have the skirt collapse when the lifting engine shuts down.  This should make it easy enough for Kerbals to get on and off.  It hopefully will float with about 1m clearance.  When the lifting engines shut down there should be about 1/4 meter between the ground and the hard edges

And another plan is to have each cushion section to be independent.  As in, they'll each have a full skirt. Hopefully, you could have a front cushion, then attach some stock fuel tank to it, then a rear section with an engine and, it would still lift.

And plans are to make both Air/LF and an Atmosphere/Electric engines so that you wouldn't be limited to Kerbin.

How you get this monstrosity to another planet is up to you though.

Again, this is all theory at the moment.  I know a buddy of mine has been playing around with a 'shield' that pushes just about anything away from a ship.  That same method should.. I say should... work for this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.