[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

On 9/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, Krahazik said:

Just tried to build a submarine and whil the build was sucessfull, it was usless. None of the parts listed under command modules are actually flagged as such so my sub was not controllable. In adition it starte don the runway so it just sat there, and slightly tilted to one side slowly.

I think most people use VesselMover or HyperEdit to get their boats in the water.  There's also a mod to Kerbal Konstructs that adds boat launching sites, but I forget the name. It's not in CKAN or recently updated, so you'd have to find in the forums.

Oh, glad I looked for this, found some other boat launch material. Not sure if it's compatible with current versions though.  If you look at this mod thread, there's a 'Reveal Hidden Content' section under "Other Ship and Boat related useful mods and addons see below" that has some other boat launch features for Kerbal Konstructs. 

On 10/19/2017 at 11:47 AM, Rudolf Meier said:

you know what's missing? :-) ... a pure electric Clipper Focused Propeller Engine ... (I want to use this on a water-rover on Eve) ... could this be done with some changes in the cfg or is it more complicated?

Well... as far as I know, KSP doesn't have electric engines... stock that is.  Now that being said, the sub engine is electric.  But, it uses Firespitter to achieve that.  So, is it a stock module?  No.  Could it be done?  Yes.  I will think on it.  Mostly tho, the clipper parts are done and don't really plan on adding any new ones (a few too many irons in the fire.)

What I do plan on adding next is hovercraft... and it will definitely have an electric engine at some point not long after release.

Speaking of hovercraft, I could use a few more beta testers!

https://discord.gg/DYhKQmb

You can also check out some screenshots of @Stone Blue flying one around.

6 hours ago, Fengist said:

Well... as far as I know, KSP doesn't have electric engines... stock that is.

Well... there is the Ion-Engine. That's electrical. Not only electrical, but half.

I created an electrical engine from your mod now... ok, it still has the flameouts when leaving the water... but maybe I can turn this into a quicker overheating instead. But, for the moment it only consumes electric power and I can send it to Eve... I'm still experimenting with how to stear the thing... maybe I can use a rotatron of Infernal Robitics and place the engine on that one...

• 2 months later...

There seems to be an issue with my submarine parts. The diving computer has no actions, and there is no storage for compressed water on the bow and stern parts. Fresh download along with Firespitter. Might it be an incompatibility issue with another mod?

EDIT: Bump.

Edited by Sinjael
Bump.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a mod in the past that was designed to use your Maritime pack for a series of missions,

It had a small Ship autopilot thing included in it, that would move ships around the seas automatically.   this mod however is gone since * died.  so I was wondering if you have any ideas on other automated ship mods like that one.  or if not would you be interested in making this ship autopilot idea in your mod.

EDIT:  lol it seems the name of that webpage is censored on the forum...  funny.  any way the website in question used to be a big hosting site for KSP that is now gone.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to optimize the disk/memory usage of my 2.9gb modpack, After the stock parts (391mb) yours is in second place as piggyest at 216mb... Runners up are the roverdood mods I still have installed (182mb) and B9_Aerospace at 173mb, the parts I haven't trimmed from NovaPunch at 162mb, etc... 

As there isn't all that much going on with your parts in terms of animations/textures/shapes, etc... those file sizes are a real problem... Internally to your pack your submarine parts are at 77.3 mb (Just the bow is 20.3mb!), sound effects at 37mb and "CVE" parts at 29.6mb... 

Zooming in with my file-size tool, I see that your .mbm files are really hogging the space... (biggest is Bow.mbm in "sub bow" at 12.1mb.  Look at how you are making them and optimize as much as you can... Look at tesselation which can reduce the disk footprint of curved surfaces, see if that can be applied to reduce the complexity of what you ship out... Maybe instead of shipping a complete texture, use tricks like repeating a much smaller texture, or using a "one dimensional texture" ie a 1xN row of pixels that can be paintrolllered to perhaps implement the waterline and then decalled with much smaller textures... Anyway, there are a lot of tricks... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, theonegalen said:

Anyone tried this in 1.4.x yet? I'll give it a shot if no one else has.

I didn't want to bug @Fengist about updating... It's not polite to poke the mod-makers.

But yes, I would be very, very interested in knowing if the current version works in 1.4.2... thanks!  :cool:

51 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I didn't want to bug @Fengist about updating... It's not polite to poke the mod-makers.

But yes, I would be very, very interested in knowing if the current version works in 1.4.2... thanks!  :cool:

I sure hope he does. I love this mod!

On 4/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, Just Jim said:

The short answer is,  "I dunno and have no intent on fixing it if it doesn't."

The long answer:

I have stated this in the past a number of times.  I am not a wealthy man. Truth be told, I barely survive at times.  I never took up modding with the intent of earning a living doing so.  I started modding because:

1. I enjoyed playing KSP.
  2. I thot it was fun and learning a new language (C#) might come in handy.
  3. I thought I might be able to afford a cup of coffee knowing that someone who enjoyed my mods paid for it.  Do those of you who don't mod realize just how cool this is?  To drink a cup of coffee knowing someone...  I dunno... in Albania maybe?... bought me this cup of coffee because they're currently having fun sailing around Laythe on boat parts I designed.

None of those things apply any more.

1. I don't enjoy KSP any more because there's nothing to do.  As far as I'm concerned the career mode missions are a pointless joke and sandbox offers no challenges any more.  I still have not been to all of the planets or moons but I see no reason whatsoever to go to any of them any more.  Once you get to those planets or moons, the game offers nothing in the way of motivation to stay there.  And even the latest DLC offers nothing new.  Squad assumes their game is still based on the fact that getting OFF Kerbin is the challenge. It is not.  Not being bored stupid once you are off Kerbin is.

2. I am still far from being a master at C# but I see no reason to waste any more of my time learning it for KSP.  Every single time that KSP comes out with a new patch, version, anything.... Squad seems intent on breaking every mod on the books.  I realize that their code needs updating and as a result, some issues are going to pop up.  But seriously, go back through these forums and look at all the busted mods that people got utterly fed up with fixing.  And the ones they don't break they steal. Perfect example is the submarines for this mod.  Infinite Dice gave me the code to make submarines work extremely well. I dressed up that code to make it even better, so that the deeper you went, the darker it got and the more 'pressure' built up.  At the time, I had the only working submarine mod and Squad (Nathan Kell in particular) decided to screw with the way the underwater environment worked, thus specifically breaking my mod and stealing several of the ideas it incorporated in the process.  And mine is far from being the only one.  I've seen numerous ideas stolen from other modders and incorporated into KSP without so much as a 'screw you'.  But it's not like I make a living off this mod anyway so, what's the problem? Right?

3. Again, I didn't do this for money, but let me be blunt.  KSP draws intellectual gamers. It's a game of imagination.  I know damned well there are rocket scientists, earning damned fine livings I might add, playing KSP and using my mods.  Maritime Pack has been in the top 50 mods on Curse for years and has at times been in the top 10.  It's still on page 3 of their listings even though I haven't touched it in years. Right now, it's sitting at almost 74,000 downloads.  SEVENTY FOUR THOUSAND mind you and that doesn't count the 30,000+ downloaded off Kerbal-stuff.  I've had SEVEN, I did not stutter, SEVEN people donate to Maritime Pack and the last one was years ago.  NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON in the past 2 years has thot this mod worth a cup of coffee?  I could stand on a street corner, hold up a sign that says, "Homeless KSP Modder, will code for food." and get a better return on my time investment.

Strike 1.  For a long time, I was modding even though I stopped having fun with KSP.  I transferred the enjoyment of landing on planets, or docking to other ships into creating new things to play with.  Everything else became boring and pointless.

Strike 2.  For a long time, I was modding even though I knew #2 existed. I dealt with it and realized I'd just have to fix my mods every time they busted them and that the potential existed for my mods to get incorporated into KSP and simply vanish.

Strike 3.  For a long time, I was modding even though there were 0 donations.  I created new mods... several... thinking maybe I could get a donation or two out of those.  Nothing.  Not one penny in the past 2 years.  A harsh fact, I ran out of coffee money a long time ago.

I'm out.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Edited by Fengist

10 minutes ago, Fengist said:

I'm out.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Oh... wow. I am so sorry if I offended you. I honestly didn't know any of this. I only started using your mod in my Saga a few chapters ago because you came so highly recommended by a few of my readers.

I will stop using it immediately, and no longer refer to you or the mod in my story, if this is your wish.

Again, I really didn't know. Sorry.

Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

Oh... wow. I am so sorry if I offended you. I honestly didn't know any of this. I only started using your mod in my Saga a few chapters ago because you came so highly recommended by a few of my readers.

I will stop using it immediately, and no longer refer to you or the mod in my story, if this is your wish.

Again, I really didn't know. Sorry.

Jim

You did not offend at all. You were just the catalyst for something that's been brewing for a long time.

It's still out there and you're still free to use it.  Enjoy it while it still works.

5 minutes ago, Fengist said:

You did not offend at all. You were just the catalyst for something that's been brewing for a long time.

It's still out there and you're still free to use it.  Enjoy it while it still works.

OK, thank you. Adding the shipyards was a great addition to the story, I hope it still works. If not... I've already got a good way to write it back out and still make "Fengist shipyards" look good... and have it fit into the overall story-line. :)

Oh... I should add, I gave you full credit when I added the mod in, and gave "Captain Fengist" a cameo appearance... I hope that was OK.

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

OK, thank you. :)

No problem.  But do you realize what you just did?

And no, this is not some lame attempt to embarrass you to donating. PLEASE DON'T.  This is me pointing out that your response is the same exact response I've seen from not only the KSP community but the entire internet gaming community over and over and over again.

Instead of saying, "Hey, I'll buy you a cup of coffee!"  Your response was, "I'll just stop using your mod."

9 minutes ago, Fengist said:

No problem.  But do you realize what you just did?

And no, this is not some lame attempt to embarrass you to donating. PLEASE DON'T.  This is me pointing out that your response is the same exact response I've seen from not only the KSP community but the entire internet gaming community over and over and over again.

Instead of saying, "Hey, I'll buy you a cup of coffee!"  Your response was, "I'll just stop using your mod."

Oh.... Again, this was no my intention. I thought you... that wasn't what I meant. 

I am really screwing up this morning.

I'm on disability, and I don't have a credit card, sorry... nothing I can use online, or I'd gladly buy you a cup of coffee... Trust me, I know how you feel... I've been writing Emiko Station over two years... it's on chapter 94, at about 200,000 words, and coming up fast on 400,000 views...and I can't begin to describe how much work I put into it every day... and the "cups of coffee" are very few and far between.

Edited by Just Jim

24 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Oh.... Again, this was no my intention. I thought you... that wasn't what I meant. 

I am really screwing up this morning.

I'm on disability, and I don't have a credit card, sorry... nothing I can use online, or I'd gladly buy you a cup of coffee... Trust me, I know how you feel... I've been writing Emiko Station over two years... it's on chapter 94, at about 200,000 words, and I can't begin to describe how much work I put into it every day... and the "cups of coffee" are very few and far between.

Again Jim, this is not directed at you.  I FULLY understand that there are people in your situation that simply can't.  I'm often in a similar situation myself and I don't expect anything from those that truly can't.  You just happened to be at the right place at the right time for me to start this discussion.

But let me show you something.  I just forced an update of the chart in the OP.  

MPChart1.png

This data is gathered when copies of Maritime Pack checks to see if a new version is available.  This chart shows that in the past 30 days KSP has been fired up with Maritime Pack installed between 800 and 1,500 times... EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Now take this data, along with the 100,000+ downloads and assume what I say is true, that nobody in years has donated to MP, and you tell me what your conclusions are.

39 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, thank you. Adding the shipyards was a great addition to the story, I hope it still works. If not... I've already got a good way to write it back out and still make "Fengist shipyards" look good... and have it fit into the overall story-line. :)

Oh... I should add, I gave you full credit when I added the mod in, and gave "Captain Fengist" a cameo appearance... I hope that was OK.

And yes :D  That's fine.  Glad to know I still have room to be promoted to Admiral.

Edited by Fengist

5 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Now take this data, along with the 100,000+ downloads and assume what I say is true, that nobody in years has donated to MP, and you tell me what your conclusions are.

So in other words, if those of us who have used your mods in the past, want to see this mod brought up to be compatible to 1.4, we're going to need to pay for it? Is that what I am to take from this?

43 minutes ago, Fengist said:

I... don't know how to respond anymore... I'm sorry you feel unappreciated.

Have a good day.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

So in other words, if those of us who have used your mods in the past, want to see this mod brought up to be compatible to 1.4, we're going to need to pay for it? Is that what I am to take from this?

Nope. Not at all.  As a matter of fact, I've already ripped the donation buttons off this mod's OP and will do so for my other mods just as soon as I'm done with this reply. 

But in a return question, should you expect all of these mods you use to be just handed to you on a silver platter for free?  Do you expect all of them to be created as a 'labor of love?'  Look at all the games on Steam that charge you for DLC.  Even Squad just did that.  Did you pay them for it?  How much enjoyment are you gonna get out of just this new DLC compared to how much you've gotten out of mods over the years?  How much have you donated to mods?  Do you consider them to NOT be DLC and that you don't need to donate?  How do you justify in your head paying Squad for DLC but modders should create everything for free?  How is it ok for the Squad staff to feed themselves creating and updating this game and adding to it's content but it's not ok to buy a modder a cup of coffee for adding content????

Is a god damned cup of coffee seriously too much to ask?  And I'm not even talking Starbucks, I'm talking the $1 styrofoam cup coffee at the corner diner.  ONE STINKING DOLLAR... are you seriously gonna poodle at that?  Do you realize that if I had $1, ONE DOLLAR for every  MP download, that I could have retired 3 years ago and took up modding for KSP full time?

Look at all the game companies out there now that make a FORTUNE by relying on the FREE labor they get from people creating mods and addons.  And then you tell me why I should keep modding for KSP,  which also forces modders to give away their work for free, when there are plenty of options for me to dive into like this:

https://mashable.com/2017/05/02/counter-strike-skins/#GCfCyIysOPqF 

Nope, I have no expectations any more and I don't want money for these mods. I'm simply done modding for KSP.  The love of the game is gone, the desire for the education is gone, and that whole attitude of...  OMG YOU EXPECT TO GET PAID TO CREATE CONTENT!... are the reasons why.

I'm sorry... I guess I don't understand anymore. I've been writing Emiko Station for over 2 years... I work non-stop on it every day, and probably will for another year at least. Plus I'm doing volunteer work with @SQUAD on the side I'm not really at liberty to discuss...

And in terms of numbers, I'm currently at 390,200 views, third highest fan-fiction report in the whole forum. And I also get 1000 hits a day easily after posting a new chapter, and average 300-400 a day.... non-stop for over 2 years!!!

And I'm doing it because I love the game, not because people are paying me, or giving me gifts... which, btw, is nice from time to time. But I'm writing, and will continue to write, because I love to write, and I love the amazing feedback I get... despite the fact if Emiko was published, and my readers went out and bought it, I'd have a nice chunk of $$$ as well.

I'm sorry... but I am respectfully backing out of this conversation. 

Good day.

Edited by Just Jim

Let me make this frustration I'm enduring a bit more logical and hopefully a few of you will understand.

I have never come out and asked for money other than donation buttons and I'm not doing so now.  However, the lack of voluntary donations sealed my decision. It's not the sole reason I'm not going to mod for KSP any more, just one of the 3 bigger ones I outlined earlier.

KSP is not the only coding I do.  One of the other things I do is write plugins for WordPress (under a different name).  WordPress has a freemium model whereby I create fully functional plugins and give them away free. WordPress allows me to place that free plugin in their repository and have it visible and searchable on their plugin site.  They also allow me to 'advertise' a premium version of the plugin should users want or need more features.

IMHO, Squad and all these other games that allow users to create mods that require coding, texturing & modelling should adopt this freemium model.  There are a LOT of us out there that would LOVE to earn an honest living creating mods for games just like KSP.  There are a LOT of people who do earn an honest living writing plugins for WordPress. There should be no difference. Instead, Squad, and a lot of other gaming companies, adopt the "We created the game. Now you create content for free to make US money, but not you," model.

Once upon a time, taking a excrements in an outhouse with a free Sears and Roebuck catalogue for TP cost nothing.  Not any more.  Water... did you notice this... WATER costs money.  You can collect it by the GALLONS for free when it rains.  But, we still pay for it.  And my water bill... this is just insanity to me... is over $100.00 per month.  Taking a excrements costs money!?!  To me, that's mind boggling.  No, I simply cannot justify spending WEEKS working on code, models and textures and then just give them away when I can spend that same time writing PHP code for a WordPress plugin and make money to pay for the excrementss I have to take.  I simply do not understand the mindset of this community that abhors the idea of spending even $1.00 on a mod.  I abhor the idea of paying to take a excrements, but... that's the reality we live in now and I'm having to adapt.

Let me give you another quick thought.  A woman on GoFundMe raised over $700 in DONATIONS for her son's Eagle Scout project.  Generosity is a wonderful thing.  Blind generosity like that is utterly befuddling.  But generosity toward something semi-tangible like a mod that makes your life more enjoyable... well, anyone care to guess how much I've made off all my mods from the KSP community over the years?

No, this and the other mods I've created, are not going to be updated in the foreseeable future.  I simply can't justify the investment of time any more.

53 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I'm sorry... I guess I don't understand anymore.

If I still had a love for this game... or if I still had a desire for the knowledge that modding for KSP gave me... or if I didn't have to feed my family and I could mod all day without a concern...  I would.

I hope you can understand that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.