[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

Folks, let's all take a breath and calm down here, shall we?

Fengist has said he no longer wishes to continue updating or maintaining his mods.  Let's respect his decision and leave it at that, shall we?

Thank you for your understanding.

I have downloaded the mod, and when I check the mod folder, all the files are there, but I only have in-game access to the ballast tank small and the nuclear reactor. I'm using KSP downloaded from steam. This same thing has happened with a few other mods, only one of which I have been able to fix by re-downloading the mod. 

Thanks. 

7 hours ago, JJ2_pro said:

I have downloaded the mod, and when I check the mod folder, all the files are there, but I only have in-game access to the ballast tank small and the nuclear reactor. I'm using KSP downloaded from steam. This same thing has happened with a few other mods, only one of which I have been able to fix by re-downloading the mod. 

Thanks. 

There's a "How to Get Support" thread at the top of the forum that needs to be followed for anyone to help you. Also Fengist is understandably stepping back from modding and KSP in general, so I wouldn't expect much from there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 7:43 AM, Madmanwithabox said:

sorry to bug you fengist, I know you are burnt out and broke, but are you going to give the mod to someone who can sustain it? I would donate if I had the money.... 

I am not.

One of two things will happen:

Squad will give this game content beyond just landing on a planet and I will return to playing and likely revive my mods.
All of my mods will die a quiet death like the thousands of others in these forums.

Since October of last year when I officially gave up I have thought maybe twice about firing up KSP again.  Followed by the though, 'why?' and therefore, didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Maritime Pack 1.11 available for download.  Recompiled for version 1.4.  Click the download button in the OP.

The generosity and persistence of one person has forced me to reconsider my theory that this planet is doomed.  You may thank this anonymous individual for this release.

There are a couple of known issues with some of the sub animations.  I'll try to fix them in the near future.  I did some brief testing and what I tried seemed to work (I didn't test subs).  If you find anything, let me know.

And no, this was not one of the reasons I had predicted in which I might return to modding.  I should have known better than to try to predict the future.

Edited by Fengist

1 hour ago, Fengist said:

Maritime Pack 1.11 available for download.  Recompiled for version 1.4.  Click the download button in the OP.

The generosity and persistence of one person has forced me to reconsider my theory that this planet is doomed.  You may thank this anonymous individual for this release.

There are a couple of known issues with some of the sub animations.  I'll try to fix them in the near future.  I did some brief testing and what I tried seemed to work (I didn't test subs).  If you find anything, let me know.

And no, this was not one of the reasons I had predicted in which I might return to modding.  I should have known better than to try to predict the future.

Aweeesome :D Glad to hear you are well though. Back to the water I go

1 hour ago, Jatwaa said:

Aweeesome :D Glad to hear you are well though. Back to the water I go

Oh jeez.  The man who single handedly forced me write a function to keep paddlewheelers from FLYING!.  Glad to see you're still around too buddy.  Enjoy.

The status of things:

Mods are vanishing:

So I decided that if I was going to get back into modding that I'd have to get a sandbox game going.  Usually when I'm modding I have one running so that I can toss parts into a 'real-world' environment and see what breaks.  So, I began digging around for some of the mods I typically use and... came to a halt.  It would seem that in the past 9 months or so KSP modders have been quite literally 'jumping ship.'  Now some of the old mods I used like B9 and Lack's LLL have been slowly fading away.  But now, I'm seeing mods like Infernal Robotics being taken over.  KAX... another nice aircraft mod, passed on to @SpannerMonkey(smce).  And what he hasn't taken on (like BD Armory), it seems @linuxgurugamer has.  And now, even the small group that was maintaining Firespitter seems to have evacuated and it appears it's being maintained by a dev @RoverDude.

With that in mind, the first order of business is going to be divesting Maritime Pack as well as my other major mods from any external requirements.  As it stands now, both 1869 and MP need Firespitter.  Since I started creating mods I have NEVER like the idea of dependencies.  Unfortunately, my skills at coding C# sucked when I first started and, if I wanted cool spinning propellers, I had to rely on mods like Firespitter.  No more.  Most of 1869 was coded with my own prop spinner that, in my opinion, works even better than Firespitter (it can be used to animate a LOT more than just propellers).  If you haven't seen the Umbrella Drive in 1869, take a look.  It uses animation code I wrote.  SO...  Fixing the few parts that still use Firespitter's prop spinner won't take a lot of work.  There are a few parts that use his thrust reverser module.  Since I created those parts, I've learned it's easy to reverse thrust with a simple animation in Unity.  So,  fixing that won't be difficult.  The next two are the problem.  Engine sounds and fuel switching (where you can change the type and amount of fuel for a part).  Fortunately, Snjo allows the re-use of his code.  I spent a few hours today wading through his code and chopping out the few bits that Maritime Pack and 1869 will need.  And so far, it looks like it's going to work.

TLDR:  Next update. No more Firespitter requirements (I hope).

Oh, and finally, hovercraft.  They're not working perfect but... well I'll explain that when the time comes.

6mC1vFC.png

VzRZKa7.png

@Fengist Hi good to see you back in business,  as for the taking over of things, yeah it's all change, although I very much doubt if I'll be taking anything else over, my own mods are huge and a bit like s suspension bridge, by the time i've finished painting it, it's time to start again at the beginning .  Nothing lasts  forever though so not surprising mod makers come and go,    it's not the same forum it used to be though, and i'm certain that's a contributing factor , much of the good stuff happens elsewhere these days, the times of dev chats having some content are long gone. As you've noted yourself several 1000 downloads and not a comment,  is not unusual.
Back to business, i'm with you on the dependencies, and have noted the firespitters functionality seems to decrease after every update, so getting out from under something that can't last is a good thing, although i only use FS on the aircraft stuff, purely for the spinner.  and hopefully in short order KAX's problems will be somebody else's
And another thumbs up and thanks for the drag cube modifier, which still gets a lot of use, solving so many issues :)

3 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@Fengist Hi good to see you back in business,  as for the taking over of things, yeah it's all change, although I very much doubt if I'll be taking anything else over, my own mods are huge and a bit like s suspension bridge, by the time i've finished painting it, it's time to start again at the beginning .  Nothing lasts  forever though so not surprising mod makers come and go,    it's not the same forum it used to be though, and i'm certain that's a contributing factor , much of the good stuff happens elsewhere these days, the times of dev chats having some content are long gone. As you've noted yourself several 1000 downloads and not a comment,  is not unusual.
Back to business, i'm with you on the dependencies, and have noted the firespitters functionality seems to decrease after every update, so getting out from under something that can't last is a good thing, although i only use FS on the aircraft stuff, purely for the spinner.  and hopefully in short order KAX's problems will be somebody else's
And another thumbs up and thanks for the drag cube modifier, which still gets a lot of use, solving so many issues :)

I actually looked at that drag cube code a few days ago.  Make sure you grab a copy of the .php code if you still use it.  I may be changing hosts in the future and while it should be a smooth & seamless transition I've learned to fear that word 'smooth'.

I was just taking note of the lack of forum comments.  @Maverick_aus posted on my KE development thread over 20 hours ago and that thread is still on the first page of thread listings.  A year ago, it would have been buried 20 pages deep.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, Fengist said:

Oh jeez.  The man who single handedly forced me write a function to keep paddlewheelers from FLYING!.  Glad to see you're still around too buddy.  Enjoy.

Hahahaha, It was an awesome ship it was. i felt so steampunk

Once upon a time, I made an amusing video called, "The Life of a KSP Modder" and had it in my OP.  I was recently told that this video did not have nearly the number of views that it should have and that I should put it back in my OP.

Done.

Enjoy.

Edited by Fengist

Cross your fingers.

For years I have been asked to create larger ships.  And for years I've resisted this because of the sheer number of parts this would involve.  At one point, I added TweakScale support.  But, as many of you know, I HATE dependencies and I never fully committed to it.  As a matter of fact, in the next release, I've gone through all of the .cfg files and removed TweakScale (I got sick of looking at the errors in the log when I didn't have it installed.)  Now I'm aware that I could probably accomplish this with a ModuleManager .cfg but there again, another dependency.

SO... while looking for a solution to another mod that's been in my head for years, I stumbled upon the AnsiotropicPartResizer.  This is some code adapted from TweakScale and others and is written by @allista.  At present, that code is integrated into a larger package he has to support his mods.  But, I was able to 'extract' a chunk of that code that allows part resizing and compile it into a separate plugin.  His code is under the MIT license which is VERY permissible.  However, as a 'professional courtesy' I have sent him a PM requesting the use of this resizing code.

So, what does that mean for you if he gives this permission?

Below is a sample of various sizes of the clipper hull.  For comparison, the clipper bridge is sitting on an un-scaled hull.

And then, there's that CVE that I created that most people complained was too small.  Well... that may change.  (again with an un-scaled bridge to give a size comparison).

Again, this is all tentative on him agreeing to the use of his code.  With any luck, you may need a bigger hangar.

2MmGlVS.png

FDvGb8N.png

Oh, and if you're a very astute observer, you may have notice the extra icons in the toolbar in the VAB.  Next release, one click access to all Maritime Pack parts.

Edited by Fengist

23 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

You mention the idea of Fuel swapping, @allista also makes Configurable Containers that will allow this, and he may also allow the use of that code.

Yes, I noticed that while looking over his mod and code.  For now, I have it working borrowing the Firespitter code which is also under a very permissible license.  Which means, I don't have to edit a bunch of .cfg files.  But thanks.

Edited by Fengist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  Allista has PM'd me and granted permission to use his his code.  If my schedule holds up, by the weekend scalable ships will be in your hands.  For now, I only plan on scaling hull and CV parts but that should give everyone the larger parts they've been asking for.

Maritime Pack 1.12 is now available for download via the OP.

Major changes:

Hovercraft!  - With this comes a warning.  These hovercraft actually hover.  That means, KSP considers them to be flying.  If you exit out of these craft while still hovering, very bad things can happen.  If you quicksave while hovering, very bad things can happen.  Always, land your hovercraft before saving or changing scenes.

Resizable ship parts - Most all hull parts are now resizable.  There is one known issue with fuel switching.  If you resize a part and then change the fuel, the fuel amounts will revert to the 1:1 size.  Either choose your fuel before resizing or drop back down to size 1, change the fuel and then resize.  Fuel amounts are updated on resizing but you'll have to reopen the part UI to see the change.

Icon - You should see a new icon in the part category list. That big anchor should have all of the Maritime Pack parts in it.  For now, those parts are also in the stock categories.

Animation fixes - A number of animations were bugged.  This required a rework of the way FengistAnim works.  You should not see a difference.

As always, if you find any issues, let me know here.

Enjoy.

Edited by Fengist

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Is there a way I can get 1.12 to work with 1.2.2 without crashing the game on loading?

Unfortunately no.  1.4 came with some new .dll files and Maritime Pack has been recompiled with those new .dll's.  That means, it's incompatible with the .dll files that came with 1.2.  If you really want to stick with 1.2, here's a link to an older Maritime Pack that should work with it:

https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/the-maritime-pack/files/2348048

Darn. I really wanted to get 1.12 to work with 1.2.2, since it's the version I'm pretty much stuck with. That and I have around 100 mods and it's a pain to update them.

Also, as a suggestion, how about some hulls that have the center missing from them, kind of like the stern of this lego ship?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGUtcLg4U38pq4z6SdJPM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.