[1.12.x] The Maritime Pack v0.1.19

Fengist

12 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Darn. I really wanted to get 1.12 to work with 1.2.2, since it's the version I'm pretty much stuck with. That and I have around 100 mods and it's a pain to update them.

Also, as a suggestion, how about some hulls that have the center missing from them, kind of like the stern of this lego ship?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGUtcLg4U38pq4z6SdJPM

Well, hollowing out the center of a clipper hull would be easy enough to do. I could probably have a part made and in-game in about 30 minutes. But you'd still be facing the same problem you have now, it wouldn't work with 1.2.2.  I'm not always happy with the direction that games take.  But, if I'm going to mod for one of them, I have to  work with the version that the mass majority use.  Let me know what you decide.  I'll probably be a bit before I release another versions so you have time.

9 hours ago, Fengist said:

Well, hollowing out the center of a clipper hull would be easy enough to do. I could probably have a part made and in-game in about 30 minutes. But you'd still be facing the same problem you have now, it wouldn't work with 1.2.2.  I'm not always happy with the direction that games take.  But, if I'm going to mod for one of them, I have to  work with the version that the mass majority use.  Let me know what you decide.  I'll probably be a bit before I release another versions so you have time.

Honestly, as long as it's in, I'm happy. I can probably just update straight to 1.4, since most of my mods are just part mods. Just need to update the ones that aren't...

This is going to be fun.

Also, ship-launched submarines! Who doesn't want that?

Wanted to let you guys know I've got a new mod that I'm testing that is something I've wanted for a long time to be able to use with MP.  Ship names.  Really, what is a ship without a name?  Sure, you can come up with one in your head but it's not like having it emblazoned across the stern now is it?  Well, now you can.  Have a look, give it a test and let me know what you think.

Enjoy.

c0z4jVS.png

I can't find link to source code for plugins anywhere to check (shouldn't it be available, btw?). What

MODULE
                {
                        name = FSResizer
                        specificMass = 5, 5, 0.0, 0.5 /// <--- these
                        specificCost = 472.3465, 605.744, 0.0, 450.0
                        size = 1
                        sizeOnly = true
                }

these values mean? Why will any ship with upscaled parts instantly sink? I suspect it is due to mass growing but not buoyancy. Maybe buoyancy parameter should be adjusted on resize too (like it is done by TweakScale)?

On 7/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, Fengist said:

I am not.

One of two things will happen:

Squad will give this game content beyond just landing on a planet and I will return to playing and likely revive my mods.
All of my mods will die a quiet death like the thousands of others in these forums.

Since October of last year when I officially gave up I have thought maybe twice about firing up KSP again.  Followed by the though, 'why?' and therefore, didn't.

Ouch. Dunno what happened but sorry you feel that way man.

I Might do a few boat-themed parts in the future but, it won't be anything near the size of this pack. Just basic floaty things. I kinda like the thought of a floating catamaran city thing.

Edited by SpaceMouse

47 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

I can't find link to source code for plugins anywhere to check (shouldn't it be available, btw?). What

MODULE
                {
                        name = FSResizer
                        specificMass = 5, 5, 0.0, 0.5 /// <--- these
                        specificCost = 472.3465, 605.744, 0.0, 450.0
                        size = 1
                        sizeOnly = true
                }

these values mean? Why will any ship with upscaled parts instantly sink? I suspect it is due to mass growing but not buoyancy. Maybe buoyancy parameter should be adjusted on resize too (like it is done by TweakScale)?

The code is available from here:  https://github.com/allista/AnisotropicPartResizer

For the moment, the compiled copy you have is from that code.  I have made changes to my working copy and will post it on Git when I release it.  For the moment, even I haven't waded through his code that deeply to give a solid answer to that question since it seems to be working. I have played around with those numbers and they are related to how much mass gets added to the part when it's resized in x,y,z dimensions and overall.  Another option I don't use is 'aspectOnly = true'.   If you remove the sizeOnly you'll be able to use the aspect resizing as well.  I have that disabled in MP because it stretches textures and makes them look horrid. If you don't care how how your parts look, you can make some extremely long parts.

I thot I had a link to the source in the op but you're correct, it's missing.  I've added a link to all of my repositories which you can find here: https://github.com/Fengist?tab=repositories

Edited by Fengist

4 minutes ago, Fengist said:

The code is available from here:  https://github.com/allista/AnisotropicPartResizer

For the moment, the compiled copy you have is from that code.  I have made changes to my working copy and will post it on Git when I release it.  For the moment, even I haven't waded through his code that deeply to give a solid answer to that question since it seems to be working. I have played around with those numbers and they are related to how much mass gets added to the part when it's resized in x,y,z dimensions and overall.  Another option I don't use is 'aspectOnly = true'.   If you remove the sizeOnly you'll be able to use the aspect resizing as well.  I have that disabled in MP because it stretches textures and makes them look horrid. If you don't care how how your parts look, you can make some extremely long parts.

Oh, now it is clear it is x, y, z scale multipliers and some static "weight" added is last value. Anyway, seems buoyancy is not adjusted by this mod :(

5 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

Oh, now it is clear it is x, y, z scale multipliers and some static "weight" added is last value. Anyway, seems buoyancy is not adjusted by this mod :(

Once upon a time I had some serious buoyancy code.  Then, the physics of water got changed and found it wasn't really needed.  The larger parts probably float REALLY well.  What you may need to do is add some 'bitts' around the ship and fill them with compressed water give it more ballast.  I'll look into this in the coming weeks/months. Right now I have a couple of other projects I need to complete and then I can look back at MP and fix a few things.  Got so much code now I only have room in my head to keep part of it straight.

Edited by Fengist

Just now, Fengist said:

Once upon a time I had some serious buoyancy code.  Then, the physics of water got changed and found it wasn't really needed.  The larger parts probably float REALLY well.  What you may need to do is add some 'bitts' around the ship and fill them with compressed water give it more ballast.  I'll look into this in the coming weeks/months. Right now I have a couple of other projects I need to complete and then I can look back at MP and fix a few things.  Got so much code now I only have room in my head to keep part of it straight in my head.

No, actually they sink really well, and I need tons of blisters strapped to stop them. :) Now parts in KSP have their own "buoyancy" field, not sure which value they have by default and I don't think they are related to part scale, that's why.  I'm trying to make TweakScale patch to scale it as well to check if it will help.

8 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

No, actually they sink really well, and I need tons of blisters strapped to stop them. :) Now parts in KSP have their own "buoyancy" field, not sure which value they have by default and I don't think they are related to part scale, that's why.  I'm trying to make TweakScale patch to scale it as well to check if it will help.

Then what you may want to do is lower those specific mass numbers and try to refloat them.  I didn't spend a huge amount of time checking the buoyancy of the resized parts but I'm sure that added mass has a lot to do with it.  The other thing to look for is the hull parts that contain LF.  The resizer also recalculates the amount of fuel they should have and I did notice it could get to be HUGE.  Reducing the amount of starting fuel may be the solution.  Then again, I may have to rework the code to keep that from becoming unrealistic.

Let me know if you come up with some numbers that seem realistic and work well for buoyancy and I'll take a look and if they seem good, I'll use them when I update the code.  There aren't a lot of parts that do use them.  I think the hull parts, cve deck parts and the catamaran deck parts.

Oh, and one other trick you can try. Add that resizer module to the blisters and make the mass really small. That way, you can resize them and the low mass should add a lot of buoyancy.

Edited by Fengist

On 10/3/2018 at 9:28 PM, Triop said:

I changed the size of the submarine engine so it can fit a mk1 cockpit.

My new nuke powered mini-sub:

It flies through water, I'm lovin it. :cool:

If you look, there's a cargo bay in the submarine parts.  Once upon a time, my intent was to make a mini-sub that could dock inside the bigger one. Hummm...

13 hours ago, Fengist said:

If you look, there's a cargo bay in the submarine parts.  Once upon a time, my intent was to make a mini-sub that could dock inside the bigger one. Hummm...

Make it one that can fly. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sincere apologies for the bump, but, I've good news, and bad news.

Good news; Most parts are functional in 1.6.x

Bad news; The parts that don't work are the radial-attach parts, in my testing, the rest seem to work, the aforementioned throw a "Exception: NullreferenceException: ObjectReference not set to an instance of an object"

I've attempted to fix the nullreferenceexception through .cfg edits and recompiles of the models, but, that's yielded no results thusfar.

Looking forward to when an official/semi-official fix is out, it'll be nice to screw around with this again at some point, although I know it's a low likelihood that it'll be possible to do so with Fengist having, for the mostpart, left the KSP/KSP Modding scene.

Edited by DirtyVenomSteam
Upon further testing, it all of the "radial attach"-es throw the error.

• 2 months later...

After some testing looks like same issue in 1.7.1

Surface attachable parts spam null reference exceptions both in VAB and in flight scene. Tested with this mod and stock only. Really wish there was a way to use this because I love the parts. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2016 at 11:02 AM, Fengist said:

Just like a StuG pulled from a Russian bog, some things just won't stay buried: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-UrieZwqeg

If this iteration goes anything like that last one, the entertainment won't be playing with the parts, it'll be this thread.

But you're welcome to enjoy the mod too.

While I'm here I'm going to put in a shameless plug.  I'm in need of beta testers for another submarine based mod.  Please take a moment to have a look:

doe hyperedit come with the mod and if it doe how do i use it

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, tonimark said:

i know this mod works with 1.12.2 but the submarine computer is not working fine also there flexing in most of the ships built even with autostructing activated

I have not touched this mod in years and with the forthcoming KSP2, I doubt I could be persuaded to do so.

I may be persuaded to do so for KSP2 though.

• 3 months later...

Ok, ok... I get it.

You guys are a bunch of Russian oligarchs and you're having yacht withdrawal.   5 years I haven't really messed with this mod and you guys still won't let it die gracefully.  To this day I still get private messages about this mod.

I know. It's my fault.  Really.  I create a mod that had 115,000 downloads on Curse Forge alone and now it's like luggage in an airport.  It's gonna follow me around the planet for the rest of my life.

Luckily, I'm a code hoarder.  I almost never get rid of any code I've ever written because I've learned at some time in the future I'm gonna go... "I remember doing that in... oh, what was that I was writing?"  And I go digging through 40 odd years of code.  Yes, I have that much.  So yes, I still have this and most of my other mods all archived away.

So. I give up.  When life hands you lemons, make a KSP mod. Right?  Right!

Here it is. It KINDA works for 1.12.3.   I have already found a few things that don't work as intended (like the loading ramps for paddle wheelers won't lower and the smoke stacks seem to be having issues with air intake.)  But, bugs and all, here it is.  Check the OP for the GitHub download link.

If you find any major issues... Yea I still get email from these forums and have for the last 5 years so just post them here. 

I give up.  You guys win.

Fair winds and following seas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.