1 minute ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Yet more words: stock Cyran, kerbol solar system(minus the local outer planets), and interstellar to reach them

I was more of a fan of Other Worlds, but I do like additional solar systems. But that would require me to install Interstellar, which doesn't mesh the way I want it to with the other mods i play with.

well, you could do something like Stellaris does, and have a system selection, like original stock solar system, Moho, Eve, Kerbin, and then you could implement solar systems like Galileo's Planet Pack, OPM, and just a bunch of new solar systems, and best of all, you could have it do something like to boldly go, where you have the galaxy where you have all the solar systems in the stock systems like in spore, where you can visit them, and then you can have hundreds of planets, and it has a wide range for modders to add their own solar systems to add and go to, and a way to lower memory usage is have them only run the planets and solar systems that have probes or ships in them, so you don't have hundreds of solar systems being run at the same time and you can run the game at a reasonable pace, and be able to run all the solar systems with probes in them at one time

this kind of goes more over then adding one planet, but it could be a good idea for both an update for the Kerbin galaxy, and it could be a good thing for the modders so they can make solar systems for the people, and people who don't want to start in Galileo's planet pack, but want to go and explore it can download and use it, so they can explore, without having to start in the solar systems they download.

• 1 month later...

Hey :)

Have there been any News in 2017 about the Gas Planet Two? Has Squad mabe made a statement i didn't see?

Because i would really love a GP2. I have been all around the Jool System and the Kerbol System in general. And i can't wait for some new Land :D (Moons of GP2 obviously :P ).

I mean it wouldn't be such a big deal for Squad to load a new Gas Giant with some moons in, wouldn't it? On KSP Wiki i read that the original plan had 20+ moons orbiting GP2.

Also maybe just put a couple more moons around Jool. I dont know :)

What do you guys think about that?

TBH I haven't any news about GP2 in 2016, 2015 and 2014 either. It most likely won't happen. Either way, a new planet will be interesting for the time you need to get there and plant a few flags, after than it will become as bland as the other planets in the game.

If you're not against mods, there are a few that add other planets (including gas giants) that can fill this place.

I just like those Planet systems with a lot of moons. you can build up great stations there and manouver your kerbals from one to the other. now my Jool System ist pretty filled with stations etc. i know every transfer window. the best burns and have discovered i think everythink there. I would love a new challenge there. i dont really now about those outer planets mods. My CPU might not like that

Outer Planets Mod (or Kopernicus in general) isn't really a CPU eater. It's more RAM that you need to be worried about, but only if you download the highest texture options. And nowadays in the 64bit age, RAM is less of an issue anyways. I really do recommend at least giving it a try; if it doesn't work properly, you can always abandon the attempt. OPM is of exceptional quality (exceeding stock IMHO), and features multiple gas giants with many moons, exactly like you enjoy most. :)

The reason why Squad is IMHO not bothering with adding extra planets is because, like Gaarst said, on an individual level the planets are not very interesting. There's nothing to do there but flags and footprints. The game would vastly benefit more from making the existing planets more interesting.

I don't want another planet unless they can come up with something unique to do with it. The existing Kerbol system is already full of worlds that are essentially just re-skinned versions of the Mun and Minmus (airless, low-gravity rocks) and from what I've seen most of the extra planet mods just add more of these. I'd love to see an extra gas giant or two added to KSP to make it more analogous to our own solar system but there needs to be a reason to go there. Even with Jool, the only interesting moons are Laythe (for its oxygen atmosphere and general Kerbin-like properties) and Tylo (for its high gravity.)

On 2/25/2017 at 8:59 AM, Gaarst said:

Either way, a new planet will be interesting for the time you need to get there and plant a few flags, after than it will become as bland as the other planets in the game.

I agree that this is a significant gameplay factor that if addressed could move KSP to the next level of awesomeness.

I'd like a new small planet, even closer to the Sun than Moho, with an atmosphere. It should be so hot that you need active cooling for probes or capsules to land on it and you cannot go on EVA there. Vulcanism would be a fun thing to research there.

Edited by Physics Student

4 hours ago, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

I don't want another planet unless they can come up with something unique to do with it. The existing Kerbol system is already full of worlds that are essentially just re-skinned versions of the Mun and Minmus (airless, low-gravity rocks) and from what I've seen most of the extra planet mods just add more of these. I'd love to see an extra gas giant or two added to KSP to make it more analogous to our own solar system but there needs to be a reason to go there. Even with Jool, the only interesting moons are Laythe (for its oxygen atmosphere and general Kerbin-like properties) and Tylo (for its high gravity.)

I agree. It's either that the planets should be a bit more interesting or the game should reward you for going there. We have enough planets to visit (I haven't visited every single one of them yet, partly because they are kinda boring).

So maybe an active and inhabited colony/base/station could bring you more money for maintaining it (the further it is the more money you get but also have to accept contracts concerning that colony). Another nice thing would be more science instruments. Discovering properties of planets and moons could also yield reputation or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see: 

Basic:

These are some fairly standard worlds and things we could add to the Kerbin system.

1.  Saturn Analogue.  Maybe move Elloo out a bit further to make room for this if need be?  Has rings.  Probably has moons.  Is a gas giant with less gravity than Jool.  If you want to make it really interesting, give it oxygen in the atmosphere.

2.  Planet/moon with low gravity but fairly dense atmosphere. 

3.  Volcanic planet/moon with fairly high temperature and moderate atmosphere, such that radiators are effectively required while a rocket is running.  Any lakes and/or oceans on the planet are lava.  Lava is opaque and dense and glowy, and hot enough that most parts in contact with it will overheat within 5 or so seconds.  May allow for "boats" to survive if they have sufficient numbers of radiators cooling their floats. 

4.  Small Moon/asteroid that is shaped like a two-ball snowman (as if two things collided very slowly).  Each half is a different color and biome(s).  Due to its extremely odd shape, may be a challenge to orbit.  The point where the bodies collided may or may not be a nesting ground for the kraken. 

5.  Planet/moon with thin, no-oxygen atmosphere, and deep, low-density ocean, such that most parts will sink in it.  Only a couple very small islands dot the planet. 

6.  Comet.  Highly eccentric, elliptical orbit, dives in towards the sun every now and then.  Period of somewhere in the 10-20 year range? 

7.  Second, more impressive and larger comet.  Highly elliptical orbit, but not very eccentric.  dives in towards sun every 30-50 years, with first time being about 5 years after default position start?  Probably don't need more than 2 comets, unless we add randomly generated comets like we have with asteroids. 

Beyond:

These are ideas that typically would be more at home a bit beyond the Kerbin system, around nearby stars.  Naturally, any of the ideas in the basic section could also instead be around in these systems.  All stars stationary relative to Kerbol Sun for simplicity.

-An option can exist to disable things outside the Kerbol system for sake of performance. 

1.  The "easy" nearby star.  A fair bit less than a light-year away.   Maybe somewhere between 10-30 Eeloo distances.  It is quite close as far as stars go.  Somewhat similar to than Kerbol Sun perhaps, but maybe slightly smaller. 

2.  A red dwarf star, somewhere around 0.5 and 1 light year away?  Small star.

3.  A blue giant star, about 4 light years away. 

4.  Black hole.  In-game, just a rather small sphere with a lensing effect applied around it.  High gravity, but very small "size."  Could have some deformed asteroids and a white dwarf orbiting it. 

5.  Gas giant planet, orbiting in habitable zone of a star.  Maybe the star in number 1?

6.  Moon, smaller than Kerbin, but with Kerbin-like atmosphere.  Lots of lakes.  Biomes are mostly Jungle and Forest, with some plains and occasional mountains.  Maybe have it orbit number 5.  Would be nice to have a habitable world in one of the other star systems. 

7.  A "Hoth" Analogue.  The planet is icecap, except for within 5-10 degrees of the equator, which contain plains, tundra, and lakes.  Could be good for the red dwarf? 

8.  Small, but fairly dense world without an atmosphere.  Lost most of its lighter elements in some cataclysm, and its surface is fairly smooth.  Good for the black hole/white dwarf system?  

9.  Planet that has been hit by a smaller planet recently and is a general mess.  One side is completely molten, the other is varying less degrees of volcanic.  Has several asteroid-like bodies orbiting at varying eccentricies and distances, some of which are partly molten themselves.  This planet and its friends as a whole is something of a reference to one possible way Earth (or Kerbin) looked during the adventure that resulted in it eventually having a moon. 

10.  THAT planet.  You know the one.  It thinks its so special due to being the focus of many-a-challenge, but really its not.  Its actually quite boring.  We just never like going to it because for whatever reason, it is orbiting the star in the opposite direction that everything else is.  Truly, a jerk among planets.  We hope it eventually gets eaten by a gas giant.  That jerk.  

11.  A planet that is shaped exactly like a kraken.  Does not orbit a star.  Is just out there somewhere.  Lurking. 

11 for real.  A dead, rogue planet could be somewhat interesting.  Covered in ice and continents that are also pretty icy, and is generally quite cold. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2017 at 4:59 PM, phantom000 said:

What about comets? Should not be hard to implement, would make for some interesting missions and new research opportunities. 

This is what I'd love to see in KSP! More astronomical objects to explore: random interstellar objects or trojan asteroids around Jool perhaps? Maybe with procedural shapes to spice things up a bit.

I would also like to see different star systems, although close enough to Kerbol that you could get there with conventional propulsion (that way it wouldn't throw off the game balance). But I'd rather not see that until they've added some more stuff to actually do on planets.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:48 AM, Ryu Gemini said:

Beyond:

These are ideas that typically would be more at home a bit beyond the Kerbin system, around nearby stars.  Naturally, any of the ideas in the basic section could also instead be around in these systems.  All stars stationary relative to Kerbol Sun for simplicity.

-An option can exist to disable things outside the Kerbol system for sake of performance. 

1.  The "easy" nearby star.  A fair bit less than a light-year away.   Maybe somewhere between 10-30 Eeloo distances.  It is quite close as far as stars go.  Somewhat similar to than Kerbol Sun perhaps, but maybe slightly smaller. 

2.  A red dwarf star, somewhere around 0.5 and 1 light year away?  Small star.

3.  A blue giant star, about 4 light years away. 

4.  Black hole.  In-game, just a rather small sphere with a lensing effect applied around it.  High gravity, but very small "size."  Could have some deformed asteroids and a white dwarf orbiting it. 

Good luck getting to those destinations in any reasonable amount of time.

ADVANCED CONTRACT: FLYBY OF RED DWARF STAR
Contract expires in 20,000 years

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.