Magic Boulder is Back

Brownhair2

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I play this game for years (well, kinda) and haven't heard of this. What is magic boulder?

Have a read of this.  Its Brotoro's epic adventure to find the fabled Magic Boulder of olde.  This is one of the best missions I've ever read.

I have been working on an operation at Dres that involved claiming asteroids and then hauling to the surface.  Last night instead of rebooting the save file i decided to work in the VAB/SPH for CTD testing purposes and rebuilt the entire fleet.  Had positive results and the usual CTD that plagued 1.1.2 seem to be gone. 

Went for the all in one launch and standing by orbiting Kerbin

J9e9Q4r.png

Now really pumped to find a sparklyroid and collect all the different specimens.

After seeing the new asteroid type I am still not convinced that it is "the magic boulder" and we need confirmation from Ike.

Is this a potential hint that squad gave that everyone missed out?

Patch notes: "* Dramatically improve resolution of asteroid textures, while simultaneously improving their shader performance by 400%. New shader can have very subtle desaturated brown/red hues sometimes."

pgmt2VS.png 

hmmmm...

26 minutes ago, Rdivine said:

Patch notes: "* Dramatically improve resolution of asteroid textures, while simultaneously improving their shader performance by 400%. New shader can have very subtle desaturated brown/red hues sometimes."

pgmt2VS.png 

hmmmm...

Agreed. The procedural boulders are to throw us off. There is more than just asteroids.

32 minutes ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

After seeing the new asteroid type I am still not convinced that it is "the magic boulder" and we need confirmation from Ike.

Was Squad confirming it not enough for you?

9 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

"Confirming". They are trolling us and there is something out there.

Maybe. But it doesn't change the fact that these are some form of magic boulder, if not THE magic boulder.

40 minutes ago, Rdivine said:

pgmt2VS.png 

hmmmm...

I don't get it.

EDIT: Wait, I might get it. But if you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting you're overthinking things.

Edited by Brownhair2
i get it

15 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

EDIT: Wait, I might get it. But if you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting you're overthinking things.

What do you think i was hinting at? Magic boulder---red glow---orbiting duna.

Ok, so I decided to take the technical approach to this.  I decided to write up a little plugin that spits out any GameObjects that exist in the current scene.  I can confirm that every individual Easter Egg has its own GameObject, etc.  Here's an Imgur album of some of them:

Spoiler

Interestingly enough, Vall henge is actually referred to as Icehenge.

Ok, now to the news of our favorite boulder.

Spoiler

I didn't find it.  Either @Mu is very clever and decided to put it into an innocent looking GameObject, or it simply isn't there.  I will continue digging around to see what I can find, but I'm going to need to add a search to my plugin to be able to sift through everything faster.  There are A LOT of GameObjects.

13 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Why, exactly? Oddly specific... I guess the KSC one could be annoying.

I find them annoying only because of the Squad logo and, to a much lesser extent, their tapered shape. It would be nicer if they were proper monoliths from 2001.

8 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Ok, so I decided to take the technical approach to this.  I decided to write up a little plugin that spits out any GameObjects that exist in the current scene.  I can confirm that every individual Easter Egg has its own GameObject, etc.  Here's an Imgur album of some of them:

Hide contents

Interestingly enough, Vall henge is actually referred to as Icehenge.

Ok, now to the news of our favorite boulder.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't find it.  Either @Mu is very clever and decided to put it into an innocent looking GameObject, or it simply isn't there.  I will continue digging around to see what I can find, but I'm going to need to add a search to my plugin to be able to sift through everything faster.  There are A LOT of GameObjects.

Wait, is the Cave and Sagan face on Bop now? And the kraken on Pol? And a pyramid on Ike?

30 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Wait, is the Cave and Sagan face on Bop now? And the kraken on Pol? And a pyramid on Ike?

I don't know about the others yet, but yes, the cave is back!  It's still on Tylo.  I don't have a screenshot, but I visited it last night....  it's HUGE!!!

I tried to rendezvous with an asteroid yesterday, but I didn't get a magic boulder-like object. Instead I got a dull gray rock.

I tried to ask this question a bit earlier, but is the magic boulder a random spawn, or is it supposed to happen every time you rendezvous with an asteroid (potatoroid).

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I don't know about the others yet, but yes, the cave is back!  It's still on Tylo.  I don't have a screenshot, but I visited it last night....  it's HUGE!!!

Nice I have only seen it once then I landed an probe rover back in 0.18

12 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Forget Tylo! Pol now has the Kraken, and it must be returned to Bop!

(Don't worry, I find the Tylo Cave awesome too :wink:)

Wait! The Krakken is on the move!? But it's supposed to be dead... :0.0:
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! Jeb! Crash fiery bits into it! :cool:

25 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Forget Tylo! Pol now has the Kraken, and it must be returned to Bop!

(Don't worry, I find the Tylo Cave awesome too :wink:)

12 minutes ago, richfiles said:

Wait! The Krakken is on the move!? But it's supposed to be dead... :0.0:
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! Jeb! Crash fiery bits into it! :cool:

No.  If you've read Emiko Station, you'll know I have an old probe (Thompberry's old ship) sitting right next to the dead Kraken.  I just looked, and the Kraken corpse is still right were it should be.

However, that's not saying they may have put another one on Pol...

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I just looked, and the Kraken corpse is still right were it should be.

However, that's not saying they may have put another one on Pol...

Oh, thank goodness it's still there on Bop! Thought we were getting zombie Krakens for a second there! :P

They come in pink too!

Also, to finally answer your question:

15 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Is there just one in the entire game or are there multiple randomly generated?

Yes, there are multiple :), though both were pink, so I don't quite know how random it is...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.