Magic Boulder is Back

Brownhair2

I actually haven't gone to an asteroid near Dres. However, I did recently do a mission to Dres (Jeb ran out of fuel, so I had to send him a refueling probe) and returned with success (first time landed with kerb!).

However, given that Magic Boulders are actually asteroids, I wouldn't be thoroughly surprised if several spawn in around Dres. Despite the ease of redirecting an asteroid in orbit around the sun, I think you can really brag about bringing a potato home from Dres.

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

I've only ever heard of it. Never actually seen it in game because I joined in 1.0.5 only about 2 weeks before 1.1. 

PLEASE ORBIT DRES!!! PLEASE!!! 

PLEASE!!!

Considering the fact that the Magic Boulder is now an asteroid, and asteroids spawn around Dres...

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I find them annoying only because of the Squad logo and, to a much lesser extent, their tapered shape. It would be nicer if they were proper monoliths from 2001.

Yes! One by four by nine! One by four by nine! ONE BY FOUR BY NINE!

Honestly though the one thing I'd really like to see as an Easter Egg in KSP, more than anything else, is Rama.

It's not quite in the spirit of the magic boulder, hidden, immovable and terrible, is it? It's more of a new mechanic, shiny asteroids. "Look, I just caught a shiny!"

7 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

• Still no colliders for Monoliths.

• The KSC2 should be made up of Tier 2 and Tier 1 Space Center parts. Get rid of those excruciatingly ugly models and unnecessarily huge textures, and use what you already have. 

I'm not an expert, but if I recall correctly, the biggest issue with the old space center was the amount of draw calls, and I think they only happen when the object needs to be rendered? 

I also like having that old relic there. IMHO the lower teir space center buildings aren't that amazing, and it kinda defeats the point of KSC2? 

I also think they didn't give them Monoliths colliders to save computer power, but Idk if that's a huge issue. But at this size they look a little silly. But I like the Squad logo on it, this is the kerbals world, not the world of 2001.

1 hour ago, AbacusWizard said:

Honestly though the one thing I'd really like to see as an Easter Egg in KSP, more than anything else, is Rama.

Once apon a time, there was Roche, which was a reference to that at least.. 

Edited by Tw1

10 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Wait, is the Cave and Sagan face on Bop now? And the kraken on Pol? And a pyramid on Ike?

I don't think so.  I think the GameObjects are just in a different order.

Just now, Astrofox said:

I've got  massive one on my space Station, and it's orange...

Maybe the different asteroid classes have their own color (doubt that's the case).

At what point does a station stop being a station and start being a base?

Hmm, I'm curious... Does the object class, object information, tracking info show anything even remotely unique, or are the new magic boulders informationally identical to any other normal asteroid? Form various comments, I'm getting the impression that this is indeed the case. Such a shame. I already read earlier that all science text is also bog standard stuff too.

I personally hope that they add a custom def (and naming system) for these Magic Boulders. Maybe a select few will have Monoliths (if possible)?

Also, I consider the KSS a Space Station, and not an asteroid base (although, I did put it there for the sole purpose of 'tourism' and resources). Plus, I think bases are on the surfaces of planets, and not attachments to a gravity-less (stock-wise) body.

You know... If a green one was most rare, and could be spawned with a monolith... I'd respect that. It'd give us magic boulders, and The Magic Boulder™. :cool:
Extra props if it can only spawn in a near polar orbit around Ike. :wink:

3 hours ago, Astrofox said:

I personally hope that they add a custom def (and naming system) for these Magic Boulders. Maybe a select few will have Monoliths (if possible)?

I'd love to see a li'l asteroid with a monolith sticking out. It'd look a bit like the planetoid from Little Prince.

16 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

For Kraken's sake the least they could have done is make magic boulderoids only spawn around Ike! Almost all of these easter egg changes make me quite upset.

• Magic Boulders spawn everywhere, randomly. They should spawn only around Ike, after a spaceship is in orbit around Ike to observe them.
  • Magic Boulders (and any other types of asteroids) all have generic science reports.
  • All of the easter eggs are far too large now. The monolith is visible from KSC, for Kraken's sake. Why not just make them always on the surface ground? It might require a rather chunky re-write of PQScity, but at least it would allow for reasonably sized monoliths
  • Still no colliders for Monoliths.
  • Tapered shape, Squad Logo, giant size on the Munoliths. I know the first two issues are an old thing, sure. I still don't like it. They ought to just be a black rectangular prism with side lengths 1:4:9, scaled so that a Kerbal height in comparison to a Munolith is the same as a Human height is compared to a Monolith.
  • The KSC2 should be made up of Tier 2 and Tier 1 Space Center parts. Get rid of those excruciatingly ugly models and unnecessarily huge textures, and use what you already have. A major part of why the current KSC was made to be so clean and low on texture size was specifically because of the problems which the original KSC2 had.
    • T2 VAB, Launchpad, and Mission Control building
    • T1 Tracking Station
    • None of the other space center buildings.
    • A plaque with a picture of the old KSC2 to commemorate its existence.
    • An R-7 Semyorka-type rocket on the launchpad. Maybe done so that if you try to get in the pod, the rocket will lift off and boost into orbit under autopilot.
  • Please, if you do anything on this list, make the magic boulders appear around Ike only!
  • Ike-only magic boulders!
  • #BringBackTheMagicBoulderAroundIke.
  • Ike is the only object that should have magic boulders.
  • To be fair, I do like the procedural generation of magic boulders, and the extra colors. It is quite nice, I have to say. I just don't think they should spawn just anywhere.

Yes, this.

As if Squad stopped listening to the community since Felipe left.

5 hours ago, Corona688 said:

At what point does a station stop being a station and start being a base?

When you land it on a surface?

I'm no native English speaker, but I call all landed stations bases and all orbiting bases stations :) Like the ISS or the LEM when it was on the lunar surface (Houston, this is Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed. etc)

If it moves realtive to it's surroundings, then it is a station.  If it doesn't, then it is a base.

A space station orbits a body.  A space base (starbase) does not orbit, being either stationary in space or stationary on a surface.  Imho, anything at a lagrange point is also a "base".

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Like the ISS or the LEM when it was on the lunar surface (Houston, this is Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed. etc)

Or like the first time my humble Munshot One actually landed on Mun... and broke its lander legs and fell over onto its side, at which point I permanently reclassified it as Munbase Alpha and promoted Jeb to Base Commander. :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.