[RESOLVED/FIXED] Question about 1.1.3 orbit bugfix

p1t1o

27 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Even in low (<100km) orbits? Planets AND moons?

Yup. 74km over Kerbin? Rock solid. Ejection to Mun, 12km periapsis from LKO? Still 12km when I get to Mun, even though I forgot to stop time warp passing through the SOI.

I won't go so far as to say I've checked every orbit every time, but every time I *DID* pay attention, it was amazingly steady.

@M4ssler

25 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yup. 74km over Kerbin? Rock solid. Ejection to Mun, 12km periapsis from LKO? Still 12km when I get to Mun, even though I forgot to stop time warp passing through the SOI.

I won't go so far as to say I've checked every orbit every time, but every time I *DID* pay attention, it was amazingly steady.

Good to hear, thanks!

The only time I've seen my orbits crawl around was when I was in a <10km and highly circular orbit around Minmus.  The apostasis visibly moved as I watched, not so much decaying as shifting.  But it didn't make a huge amount of difference for the few minutes I stayed in it, waiting for the landing site to come up.

Edited by Corona688

As I said in previous posts, I had the problem appear in 1.1.2 but when 1.1.3 rolled out, the problem cleared up. But, as M4ssler observed, it suddenly stopped being OK in 1.1.3 as well. My experience is that there is no problem around planetary bodies at any altitude (although when I timewarp there are something changes in SOI changes, intercept distances and the like, so there is something wrong there). But around moons (tested around Mun, Minmus and Ike, so far) if I am under 100 km, the Ap and Pe waver significantly. 

That is does not affect everyone, and that it didn't even affect me at first, tells me this is a genuine bug and not a "basic, unavoidable limitation in using the integration method PhysX uses, and the floats PhysX uses."

On 9/15/2016 at 6:28 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I'm sad to say that while orbits seem fine still, soi changes do in some situations cause pe of the target world to change, sometimes quickly.

It's rare but it's happened and I can't recreate it. I don't think a save in a bug report will help as it seems f5/f9 fixes it.

Playing 1.1.3, it seems to kick in when my target craft reaches about 200m away from the active vessel. the target's semi-major axis was unchanging until i got within that distance.

originally my station was in ~25km x 25km around mun, but it's drifted all the way to 43km x 19km as i've tried unsuccessfully to dock.  it seems better with orbital drift correction off (i can at least dock now).

see distance & semi-major axis in this series of KER screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/iZM7T

hard to verify whether it exists on 1.2 as i don't have KER and stock doesn't display target semi-major axis anywhere, but it did seem like my active vessel picked up a torque.

Edited by dunadirect

I am still experiencing orbital drift in 1.2.

When in orbit below 100km, Ap and Pe drift in a manner that has caused orbits well clear of the terrain to crash into the surface.

PLEASE, devs, fix this.  Steam gives me 2403 hours in KSP.  I don't think I can satisfactorily continue my career save with this bug.

On 15.9.2016 at 11:15 AM, p1t1o said:

@M4ssler 

Yes, it is still unclear as to whether or not this will be fixed 100%, or even if it *can* be fixed 100% in the current build.

Any staff care to weigh in? Is there hope for the orbit bug? What is it like in 1.2?

I tested it in 1.2 just stock game (no mods) and ap and pe are moving. so its the same issue.

But 1.2 is prerelease, maybe they are working on it. I hope!

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

Can't work on it if you don't actually report bugs right. There's even a link in the prerelease forums! Follow the bug reporting guidelines and I can work on it.

I´m sorry. searching a long time and can´t find a forum with a link. Many posts i have to google translate, because i can not understand difficulty words

Ok, Squad.  I'm legitimately impressed and I thought you should know it.

I just updated to 1.2.0.1532, and my orbit is completely stable.  Talk about customer service.  Talk about support.  Talk about responsiveness, troubleshooting skills, physics genius.  I expected to at least have to wait for the official 1.2 release.  I think my 2400 hours already express how impressed I am with your game, but this issue has me eminently impressed by your development team.  Way to go.  Thank you for fixing this.  My Kerbals' journeys continue.

I have seen no orbital drift in the latest couple of 1.2-pre builds. I've done several Mun and Minmus landings and take-offs from low orbit, as well as extensive testing of spaceplanes with relatively slow climbs to just above 70k. Rock solid.