[1.2] Kerbal Kommander: a new way to play KSP

gagarinekerman

Spoiler
On 1/8/2016 at 3:17 PM, BT Industries said:

Stupidly long and complicated idea I would love to see a reality...

(I put it all in a spoiler so it doesn't clutter up the rest of the thread)

Here we go...

Reveal hidden contents

Craft Tracking:

Crafts are tracked by name and have a Wanted Level. Every craft starts with a Wanted Level of zero but if you are seen stealing, transporting illegal goods or shooting an innocent craft, you're craft gets gains a Wanted Level depending on the crime (there is a delay between the person who spotted you taking action so if your quick you can destroy witnesses before they dob you in). Wanted crafts are chased down by the law and depending on how much it is wanted they could possibly open fire on you. You can't change the name of your craft unless you go to a station and get it legally renamed (if you go too the station in a wanted craft to rename it, you will be arrested). You can also go to a pirate station and pay lots of money to have your craft unmarked. 

The one other stat that is tracked is if you're a Police a Civilian or a Pirate.

You start the game as a civilian, civilians are open to pirate attacks and government patrol crafts pulling you over.

As a Police you are ignored by other government patrol vehicles and you can go and bust pirate ships in the same way as government crafts used to catch you (stay docked to them as for a certain amount of). You also get a small monthly pay and a bonus for capturing pirates. You must have a clean record (never been to jail) go be a Police, go to your nearest government base to apply for a job.

If you're  pirate the other pirates will leave you alone and even help you if you join them. Go to the nearest pirate station to join.

Becoming Wanted:

You can become wanted if a government or civilian craft see's you doing on of these things (there is a delay between the person who spotted you taking action so if your quick you can destroy witnesses before they dob you in)...

Stealing parts, attacking/pirating civilian crafts, attacking a government craft, refusing/running away from a government patrol craft when they have requested an inspection, if an inspection reveals you are smuggling illegal resources, etc, etc.

Types of Crafts:

Government Crafts,

Government crafts are all the bases, stations and those pesky crafts that come after you with guns and try and catch you. Patrol crafts can randomly request an inspection, this just involves them docking to you to check for illegal resources.

Small patrol vehicles spawn randomly.

Civilian Crafts,

Other crafts that are not government crafts, like science stations, freighters, etc, etc.

Player Crafts,

These are your crafts that are bought legally they are marked by the government.

Unmarked Crafts,

This means that the government will still go after you as Unmarked Crafts are illegal, however if you are caught they can only charge you for the crime you were in the middle of committing as the government has no way to keep a history of past crimes that were committed In it

Pirate Crafts,

Pirate Crafts are illegal and hunted down by the government. Small random ships spawn in various locations and try steal things from you if you are not a pirate yourself.

Getting Caught:

To be caught you must be found in a wanted craft by a government craft. This happens if a government craft manages to stay docked with you're craft for certain amount of time (giving you a couple of seconds to hope into an escape pod) You can also be caught if a inspection reveals you are smuggling illegal resources.

When You're Caught:

Depending on the offense (and previous offenses were you weren't caught) you get fined a some money and the game fast forwards until your jail sentence is over. Depending on  how long the member's of your crew have been with you and and how long your sentence is, it's possible that they could leave you (if they have not been caught too).

BDA Teams:

Government

All government crafts when attacked are on this team. That includes you if you are a police.

Pirate

All Pirate crafts when attacked are on this team. That includes you if you are a Pirate.

Hostile

If a craft that doesn't belong with the police or the pirates attacks another that did not attack it first it is on this team. If you attack a government craft even out of self defense you are on the hostile team.

Self Defense

If a craft is attacked by another it goes on this team. Government crafts will not attack crafts who are fighting out of self defense. If you attack a government craft even out of self defense you are on the hostile team.

The end of my stupidly long and complicated idea.

Hopefully you find something helpful or inspiring amongst all my ramblings and brainstorming. I can only imagine how hard some of my ideas would be to code so feel free to stuff them in the bin. Just please tell us why it's not possible so that I can understand and hopefully learn something so my next ideas are more feasible.

If you have any questions on some I didn't explain well enough then go ahead.

(Sorry if there are any typos a wrote this all on my phone)

You have seriously changed KSP, so thank you once again for all the time and effort you have out into this mod.

(You should consider a donation link so people can at the very least buy you a drink)

-Cheers Ben

ships tracking: 

Hi, I like the idea of the ship tracking but I think that it can be easier if  the wanted level would depend of the player/kerbal instead of the ship so you can't get ride of your wanted level by buying a new ship. You can if you want buy new identity in pirate station which will reset you wanted level. The wanted level can be a prime (amount of money) and if you kill a pirate, get a proof and go to a station, you earn the money. You can scan ships to see there wanted level (like in elite dangerous). 

civilians, pirate and police :

About the civilians, pirates and police, I'm planed to do a different system: each action in the game give you reputation, you have a civilian reputation and a pirate reputation. For example: if you complete a contract which told you to destroy a big pirate mothership, you earn civilian reputation but you'll loose pirate reputation. If you're pirate reputation is too high , the civilian police will hunt you, and the same for the pirate. But if you have a high civilian rep for example, you will have advantages (the police won't inspect you because they know you are a good guy). 

About the police job: I will probably add some police contract which tell you to inspect suspected ships. And in the station there will be infos about wanted people so you can try to hunt them, find them, and arrest/kill them (in exchange of some money of course). 

police contacts:

you need to inspect a ship with a scanner or by docking. But when you arrive the ship can be a honest civilian or pirate with a fleet which will attack you. So to complete these contracts, you must do the right choice, don't kill an innocent and if there are slaves in a ship, you must try to keep them alive (just destroy the weapons and the engines).

getting caught :

I don't think that it's possible to make a ai which can dock with you, but if the police ship is a player this could be interesting, we can add something like a scanner you need to activate during a certain amount of time so you have time to flee (but if you try the police will try to kill you).

On 1/8/2016 at 4:38 PM, Zamolxes77 said:

Not sure what that suppose to mean, anytime I capture a space station and transmit the existing science, it gets transmitted, but I don't receive any cash for it. Same with experiments, I can add them as data into my research lab, or transmit them directly, but I don't get any cash for it. So far science is useless, only thing I can do with it its research projects that show me other abandoned space stations or abandoned ships. Did my mod maybe not installed correctly, or is it a bug?

I can't test it now, does the science increase ? (yes it's a bug)

On 2/8/2016 at 2:12 PM, Zamolxes77 said:

When you play this, I think it needs a made up rule: you always need a pilot to pilot any craft. It gets a bit too easy to make everything into probes and pilots lose their roles.

I'm waiting for the next KSP update with communication you will need kerbals to command a probes. 

Spoiler
On 3/8/2016 at 0:01 PM, KiefferDK said:

I have this as well and have investigated it: 

When loading a game or changing scene (like from space to space center), docking ports that are docked, changes to a different state than the one they were in when the involved .sfs  was written (happens when saving game or switching scene).

In this new state the undock action does not work correctly.

When I look at any craft in the .sfs files, all its parts have uids set to 0.This seems to cause some issues with docking ports as they apparently need to reference connected parts/root parts correctly to function.

I don't know how gagarinekerman creates the craft, or if it's possible to change this so part uids are registered correctly, but my apparently functioning workaround is to not have anything docked when saving game or switching scene.

I don't think it's possible to edit the current .sfs files to repair this without knowing how make up uids, that can be used to configure the docked ports correctly, which I don't, unfortunately.

Hope this post is useful  :rolleyes:

Thanks for having investigated it, I'll try to fix this :wink:

On 3/8/2016 at 3:08 PM, blub01 said:

I really like the concept of this mod, but I have a weird issue - from reading the other posts, I understand that ore tanks are used to store wood, steel, and diamonds, but it appears that some mod I am using overrides that. I'm running a number of mods, but the only ones that are really changing the way tanks work are interstellar and USI kolonization. can somebody tell me how to fix this/point me to the actual tanks if I am wrong?

EDIT: so apparently there's nothing wrong, I'm just too dumb to figure out how to store it.

EDIT: OK, so NOW I am confused, because the information thingy when browsing over the ore tank in the editor says it can hold wood, diamonds, etc., but if I add one to my craft, the tanks don't show up.

The principles of this tank is that they have certain capacity for example, the big on can hold 1500 of resources: so if you add 1500 of ore, it is full. When it is totally empty, you see that it have capacity of 1500 for each resources. But in reality, you can't add 1500 of wood And 1500 of ore, it's like a real cargo, if you add 500 of wood, you just have 1000 of capacity left. I hope you understood my complicated explanation ^^ 

On 4/8/2016 at 4:43 PM, Maltman said:

This is so cool I am having a great time with your ships

Glade you enjoy, you can find the persons who designed ships in the read me :wink:

16 hours ago, gagarinekerman said:

ships tracking: 

Hi, I like the idea of the ship tracking but I think that it can be easier if  the wanted level would depend of the player/kerbal instead of the ship so you can't get ride of your wanted level by buying a new ship. You can if you want buy new identity in pirate station which will reset you wanted level. The wanted level can be a prime (amount of money) and if you kill a pirate, get a proof and go to a station, you earn the money. You can scan ships to see there wanted level (like in elite dangerous). 

civilians, pirate and police :

About the civilians, pirates and police, I'm planed to do a different system: each action in the game give you reputation, you have a civilian reputation and a pirate reputation. For example: if you complete a contract which told you to destroy a big pirate mothership, you earn civilian reputation but you'll loose pirate reputation. If you're pirate reputation is too high , the civilian police will hunt you, and the same for the pirate. But if you have a high civilian rep for example, you will have advantages (the police won't inspect you because they know you are a good guy). 

About the police job: I will probably add some police contract which tell you to inspect suspected ships. And in the station there will be infos about wanted people so you can try to hunt them, find them, and arrest/kill them (in exchange of some money of course). 

police contacts:

you need to inspect a ship with a scanner or by docking. But when you arrive the ship can be a honest civilian or pirate with a fleet which will attack you. So to complete these contracts, you must do the right choice, don't kill an innocent and if there are slaves in a ship, you must try to keep them alive (just destroy the weapons and the engines).

getting caught :

I don't think that it's possible to make a ai which can dock with you, but if the police ship is a player this could be interesting, we can add something like a scanner you need to activate during a certain amount of time so you have time to flee (but if you try the police will try to kill you).

I'm actually liking your version better  :D

I have been having difficulty installing this plugin.

I've put the GameData into the gamedata folder (have no clue what to do with the 'ships' folder) and created a career save. I then clicked the "Start the Kerbal Kommander Game" button and pressed "yes" to comfirm. Afterwards though I just get green text saying "Save Generation..." and when I go to the Tracking Station there are no stations or objects of any kind.

I really want to play with this Plugin and get back into KSP but it's difficult when I can't seem to be able to even install it right.

EDIT: Everything seems to have installed properly, it's just the stations that haven't spawned

Edited by TheGibberishGuy
Clarification

1 hour ago, TheGibberishGuy said:

I have been having difficulty installing this plugin.

I've put the GameData into the gamedata folder (have no clue what to do with the 'ships' folder) and created a career save. I then clicked the "Start the Kerbal Kommander Game" button and pressed "yes" to comfirm. Afterwards though I just get green text saying "Save Generation..." and when I go to the Tracking Station there are no stations or objects of any kind.

I really want to play with this Plugin and get back into KSP but it's difficult when I can't seem to be able to even install it right.

It could be because the save you created isn't a career save 

It's definitely Career (Checked the persistent.sfs file to make sure) and the funds have been changed to 20k, inside the VAB there's the regular and Pirate Station Screens. Even with a fresh install of KSP everything works but the stations spawning.

EDIT: Also in the Readme file it says I can choose the characteristics of my Kerbal, however I do not know where or how that works.

Edited by TheGibberishGuy

I don't know why this is, but I can't get the wood from the station core into my ship. The ship does have a stock ore tank, so it should work, but it just doesn't recognize the ore tank as being able to carry wood.

So this is hopefully going to be my last post as I've already posted thrice now, but I think that Kerbal Kommander either doesn't work with the Mac install of KSP or with just my install, I don't know if anyone who uses a Mac is able to use KK. Thankfully I got the mod working by generating a save on my laptop and copying it into my mac.

Sorry for been a hassle,
--Gibberish

On 9/8/2016 at 6:50 AM, X10Z said:

I don't know why this is, but I can't get the wood from the station core into my ship. The ship does have a stock ore tank, so it should work, but it just doesn't recognize the ore tank as being able to carry wood.

Do you have something else in the tank ?

On 9/8/2016 at 9:11 AM, TheGibberishGuy said:

So this is hopefully going to be my last post as I've already posted thrice now, but I think that Kerbal Kommander either doesn't work with the Mac install of KSP or with just my install, I don't know if anyone who uses a Mac is able to use KK. Thankfully I got the mod working by generating a save on my laptop and copying it into my mac.

Sorry for been a hassle,
--Gibberish

I didn't test with a mac, and I don't know how to fix it, I could put a premade savefile in the mod so if the generation don't work, you can play anyway :wink:

Is it possible that the KK doesnt like certain mods? My KSP crashes a lot when playing KK.

When playing carier or sandbox it doesnt crash at all.

I use few mods like KAS, KIS, RemoteTech, FAR, Firespitter, Chatterer, B9, (Some lifesupport mod idont remember the name), aviation Lights, .....

Edited by KOCOUR

1 hour ago, KOCOUR said:

Is it possible that the KK doesnt like certain mods? My KSP crashes a lot when playing KK.

When playing carier or sandbox it doesnt crash at all.

I use few mods like KAS, KIS, RemoteTech, FAR, Firespitter, Chatterer, B9, (Some lifesupport mod idont remember the name), aviation Lights, .....

Does the game crash when you are doing something in particular ?

@gagarinekerman IMO you should incorporate BDArmory for combat if you're planning to add it, and work on orbital AI that BDA doesn't have (or talk to Paolo about adding it to BDA). Having a 4th weapon plugin in KSP is IMO a bit underproductive.

Also the starting station doesn't have any resources for some reason - that includes life support when using Kerbalism

20 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

@gagarinekerman IMO you should incorporate BDArmory for combat if you're planning to add it, and work on orbital AI that BDA doesn't have (or talk to Paolo about adding it to BDA). Having a 4th weapon plugin in KSP is IMO a bit underproductive.

The next update will be contracts but then, I want to work on dogfight with BDA :wink:

20 hours ago, m4ti140 said:

Also the starting station doesn't have any resources for some reason - that includes life support when using Kerbalism

I don't understand what do you mean, you need to buy resources, I don't see why there would be some resources directly in the station...

7 hours ago, NodokaHanamura said:

This is really interesting. Reminds me of Freelancer and how it works, but except this time you have to actually work to get a station, not just go through jump gates and tradelanes.

thanks !

On 17. 8. 2016 at 2:44 PM, gagarinekerman said:

Does the game crash when you are doing something in particular ?

It crashes mostly when i go from VAB back to my kerbal. Also i now have a problem that i cannot undock from stations once i dock. The option to undock is there, but when i click it, the option dissappears and iam still docked.

Ill have to make a list of my mods and post a game log once i get to my PC. Iam at my laptop now, and i use different modset for KSP on my laptotp than on my PC.

2 hours ago, KOCOUR said:

It crashes mostly when i go from VAB back to my kerbal. Also i now have a problem that i cannot undock from stations once i dock. The option to undock is there, but when i click it, the option dissappears and iam still docked.

Ill have to make a list of my mods and post a game log once i get to my PC. Iam at my laptop now, and i use different modset for KSP on my laptotp than on my PC.

You should try to run the game and go in the vab without kk installed to see if the problem is from kk or from others mods. 

A lot of people have the docking problems, you can try to use the stock bug fix mod but if you still have the problem, you just need to don't have a vessel docked when you exit the game :wink:

On 14/08/2016 at 10:56 PM, darkroot said:

You know what would be really cool is if you were to make a dmp compatibility patch and make it possible for multiplayer

totally seconded. the game is really glitchy right now if you try to use kk and dmp together. you can't really create two (or more) kk games, because creating the second one spawns stations in the exact same place as the already placed, so they just disintegrate, and for some reason you keep getting funds out of nowhere. I would, of course, like to see new features implemented, but multiplayer would be a really big plus even right now, and I don't think it would be extremely much work.

On 23/08/2016 at 8:08 PM, blub01 said:

totally seconded. the game is really glitchy right now if you try to use kk and dmp together. you can't really create two (or more) kk games, because creating the second one spawns stations in the exact same place as the already placed, so they just disintegrate, and for some reason you keep getting funds out of nowhere. I would, of course, like to see new features implemented, but multiplayer would be a really big plus even right now, and I don't think it would be extremely much work.

Multiplayer is not a priority now, but this is a feature which a really want to add in the mod. I've planned to implemente contract, dogfight (BDArmory) and correct all the bug before work on multiplayer. So just be patient :wink:

Hy !
I follow this mod for some times now and, this night, i give it a try.

Everything looks good (launch without any problems) and i create my first ship, buy it and...
It's spawn somewhere close to the station, and make an rapid, unplanned and catastrophic disassembly. Without any exmplosion.

I just use MechJeb and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, and do a little clipping (but nothing hard, and just by using the offset tool, not the F12 one.

(And, sorry for my bad english :/ )

Anyway, nice job, i will try again tomorrow !

15 hours ago, DennoD said:

Hy !
I follow this mod for some times now and, this night, i give it a try.

Everything looks good (launch without any problems) and i create my first ship, buy it and...
It's spawn somewhere close to the station, and make an rapid, unplanned and catastrophic disassembly. Without any exmplosion.

I just use MechJeb and Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, and do a little clipping (but nothing hard, and just by using the offset tool, not the F12 one.

(And, sorry for my bad english :/ )

Anyway, nice job, i will try again tomorrow !

What do you mean by " disassembly " ? does all the part separate from one another or the vessel just disapear ?

hi,

did you thought about bases on planets for trading? I guess it would be not easy to implement. The ship have to dock somehow to a base on a ground, Also ships should havebetter drive technology to start from atmospheric planets.

Can someone tell me where i find the map kerbalkommander that goes in the savefile dir? i downloaded it on spacedock but the only maps tha i`v got was kerbal kommander with gamedata dir and a map called ships. And i dont get a app button to start the savegame

Edited by smaalle